KKR 280 turbo upgrade on the 6A13

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
96 S2 RZ Supra with 500whp
Like these hey?

Very well priced, AU$420 for a set plus postage... oh well I already ordered the sards.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Yes, they're ok, but you can get direct fit for slightly more, from memory you'd need to change the slot they sit in or use bigger o'rings!

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
Nope, went in yesterday and there was a new silvia there with a huge TD06 under the hood, looked like it was set up for drift racing, Wayne was working on that. I'll go in tomorrow and check it out.

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
That bloody motor-vation show has held everything up. Wayne sponsors some of the cars entering, and a few of them came running in demanding him to drop everything and work on their cars immediately.

Only update is that the oil and water lines will be fitted this afternoon, and then on Monday the Turbo Y pipe and the last few bits of plumbing. ETA is wed next week. The cost....hmmm... this I'm afraid of.

Good news is that it has all actually fitted and worked out, and if the turbo spools up well and makes decent power, then the goal has been achieved of a turbo upgrade. From all this come a genuine opportunity of an almost bolt-on turbo upgrade kit for the 6A13TT.

This means a kit comprising of:
2 x manifold adapter plates
2 x custom dump pipes (that fit from the turbo onto the RPW front pipes)
Custom bolt-on oil and water pipes
Custom oil filter relocation kit
Oil catch can.

The rest of the mods would have to be custom cooler pipes, but your pre-existing ones can either be modified to fit onto the turbo or ideally new ones put in along with a new core at the same time as the turbo upgrade (since everything will be pulled apart)

No need to change the radiator either check the pic below, just shave a cm or two off it and we're away!
radfan.jpg

But lets see the dyno print out first.

G

Unregistered
Very nice work.
I think that all of the guys who are looking at doing this mod should give you a big pat on the back and throw u $20-$50each as they will all save hundreds and you will fork hundreds out more then the rest of us.
I am happy to put my hand up as I will do a similar upgrade and pics allone will save us at least 10hrs of dicking around.
Really hoping that all is good when u turn the ignition over and I know that u ran stock manifolds but I hope that when I do mine then we may be able to get my guy to make up a whole lot and ship to oz and save a $100 or $200.
Can you ask wayne to get 2 prices if he was to make u a 2X turbo manifolds then ?? much and for a top intake manifold then how much for one of those.
I will then get a price on materilas and see if its worth while for us to do them up here.
Cheers

G

Unregistered
I think that all of the guys who are looking at doing this mod should give you a big pat on the back and throw u $20-$50each as they will all save hundreds and you will fork hundreds out more then the rest of us.

i cant see that happening, unfortunately that is the price for being the first

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
Super! Also how did it go with the front mount being close to the intake; is it something that needs to be moved?

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
Super! Also how did it go with the front mount being close to the intake; is it something that needs to be moved?

Don't think so? Wayne didn't mention anything?

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
More plumbing done; a few more cooler pipes, also a heat shield against the firewall:

IMG_0145.jpg

Tomorrow avo I hope to drive home...

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
Very nice work.
I am happy to put my hand up as I will do a similar upgrade and pics allone will save us at least 10hrs of dicking around.
Really hoping that all is good when u turn the ignition over and I know that u ran stock manifolds but I hope that when I do mine then we may be able to get my guy to make up a whole lot and ship to oz and save a $100 or $200.
Can you ask wayne to get 2 prices if he was to make u a 2X turbo manifolds then ?? much and for a top intake manifold then how much for one of those.
I will then get a price on materilas and see if its worth while for us to do them up here.
Cheers

Thanks for the positive feedback mate, yeah the labour hours have definitely started to pile up as there has been a lot of trial and error. I think the radiator has come on and off at least 10 times lol! I'm a bit worried actually about the cost... If anyone wants to contribute to the R & D fund it would be most welcome. :bigsmile:

I completely forgot about the manifolds, will try to remember to ask tomorrow.

Its a good path to research because although it may cost a lot initially, it actually may save money later on because of the extra space it could potentially create, therefore bypassing all the little annoying things Wayne is having to do now like custom front engine mount and oil filter relocation. There would definitely be a few hours of trial and error though; pulling stuff off and putting it on etc.

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
That's a spiffy looking heat shield!

Are you planning a visit to the drags soon?:D

The drags? Well yeah of course I will take it down to see the 1/4 mile time, but it's really just to prevent a visit by the fire brigade.

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
The drags? Well yeah of course I will take it down to see the 1/4 mile time, but it's really just to prevent a visit by the fire brigade.

I realise that!:p Sorry the first comment wasn't related to the second, just a complement on the shiny heat shield.:)

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
I realise that!:p Sorry the first comment wasn't related to the second, just a complement on the shiny heat shield.:)

Thanks mate, yeah it looks pretty sweet, hope it actually does it's job!! The compliments should go to Wayne, it's all his work.

99% chance finished by Friday, booked in at RPW for a tune on Saturday morning.

These last few days are crawling by I tell you.....zzzzz....

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
Did you, by random chance, get a physical size measurement at all?

Would be interesting to compare the KKR's physical size against a Garrett GT2554 or GT2560..

The GT2560 is cheaper than the GT2554 which is bizarre, ohwell, good find!

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
You could get all the measurements online, all the specs are there. If the garretts are physically smaller, but make the same power then this is a big help.
Good price here $1060 each.

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
Almost done, manifold goes on today, top cooler pipes and then start her up.

P1000651.jpg

Rear turbo is done

P1000652.jpg

Front one, waiting re-locate oil filter, very fiddly job.

P1000653.jpg

Custom front engine mount

EDIT: Forgot the part about the fitting of the oil filter relocation kit. Looks like it's another TBC tomorrow....

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Looks like they've left a socket on the rear turbo on one of the old mounting nuts that isn't used any more. Look closely at the first pic :)

Top Bottom