Photography Dabblers Info, FAQ and C&C Area.

G

Unregistered
Due to a number of members interested in Photography, this thread has been started to allow a place for like minded photographers of all skill levels to get together to ask questions and share information, and showcase finished work for Comments and Criticism. If anyone has any suggestions to improve or expand this thread feel free to submit your ideas.

G

Unregistered
I will reserve this post to allow a space to compile information on Photography terms and their meanings and general photography and camera details, information on lenses and their uses, camera types, editing programs etc. etc. Personally I know little about this, so those who are photography nuts, feel free to bombard me with compilde Info.

Rabit

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Robert
Drive
2000 Legnum Mint with 44589ks when I got it. Now with black leather seats. After 3 years of fun some terminal engine bay wiring issues raised their ugly heads and it died. I Now drive a 2002 Legnum and have retired the 2000 to spare parts duty.
Im on my third Cannon camera, I go right back to an FTB mechanical then an EOS1000 annalogue and now an EOS1100D. Great camera takes good photos, Just wish I could work out how to post them on here.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
Good idea, though I got excited thinking there was going to be Command & Conquer related talk in here :(

G

Unregistered
Better Kick it off with a photo anyway, here is a shot from my Ride Thread, it was taken with my HTC One X as I didn't have my DSLR, It's not the greatest shot, mostly this was just a bit of a play in GIMP which I am finding really easy to use as an absolute beginner. I have played with pretty much everything, Light, Shadow, Contrast, Blur etc. GIMP is a great program and its Free.

EvoFinal by GoughShots, on Flickr

Murph

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
Legnum/4WD TD Hilux/260Z
Anyone had any luck taking any good light painted shots of their legnums/galants?
I had a crack at doing mine, but just never got anything that looked anywhere near as good as the shots of my zed car.
The zed car is just a natural it seems!

IMG_7471-2.jpg

IMG_7473-2.jpg

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
^^That looks stunning.

I had a little play with some macro shots to keep myself amused between qualifying runs at Winton yesterday. First time taking macro shots, first time using the new Olympus E-620.

P7130290.jpg

Olympus E-620, 70-300mm Zuiko Digital lens (at 300mm), ISO 250, 1/250 shutter speed, f5.6

P7130294.jpg

Same camera and lens, same shutter speed, ISO 200, f18.0

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Anyone had any luck taking any good light painted shots of their legnums/galants?
I had a crack at doing mine, but just never got anything that looked anywhere near as good as the shots of my zed car.
The zed car is just a natural it seems!

Great pics Justin! Where were these taken- by that i mean outside/against a backdrop/indoors with lighting??

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Oh, i've got an Canon EOS 30D, had it for about 5 years, i'm a rank amateur but willing to learn.

Murph

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
Legnum/4WD TD Hilux/260Z
Thanks Simon!

They were taken at my old place up the sunny coast. I was living in this block of five units, huge fcuk off place (work was paying for) that spanned 4 levels with elevently billion rooms and had this huge underground garage. The central space was about 35m long, with the lock up garages off the side. Perfect for this kind of photography. Big open space so you could take a long shot, yet still have heaps of clearance to the wall behind (so the light doesn't hit it)....and being a big underground concrete bunker, no ambient light (after you'd pulled the tubes out of the exit signs). :D

So to answer your questions, indoors, zero ambient lighting, no backdrop with all lighting from a very directional soft box. Exposures were ~ 10 seconds to give me enough time to move right down the length of the car with the light. Photos were taken on my 5ish year old Canon S5-IS....shows you don't need a flash camera with good lighting (LOTS of practice though). I have me a 600D now, but just can't light paint at the new place back in bris (typical DLUG). I'd love to have a crack again with the new cam.

Happy to give some more detail on the light painting stuff if people are interested.

Murph

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
Legnum/4WD TD Hilux/260Z
A few more examples with different lighting:

Taken in the day so there is ambient light, used the soft box.
IMG_7439.jpe

Taken at night, ambient light from exit signs, light source was one of my (very bright) LED bike lights.
IMG_7210.jpg

Murph

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
Legnum/4WD TD Hilux/260Z
And here's the super ghetto version, using an even older canon 5MP P&S and a desk lamp (all I had available at the time).....and yes my C is super ghetto too. :D

260c_chop_1.jpg

Murph

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
Legnum/4WD TD Hilux/260Z
ygoslow: I'd love to see that second shot again with some more light on the foreground and background darker, just to make the subject pop a little more. Very very sharp!

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
ygoslow: I'd love to see that second shot again with some more light on the foreground and background darker, just to make the subject pop a little more. Very very sharp!

Cheers man! Definitely something I want to keep playing with, these shots were literally a "wonder what I can make this focus on" type deal with no real thought put into them. The results and suggestions like yours make me want to see how well I can do!

Your shots have made me wanna play with light and stuff too. Beautiful.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Beautiful. I usually hate shots of cars on grass, but that works. And the other one is super sweet.

Top Bottom