Quote on quality transmission rebuild $2200

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
Morning people.
For your information, I've spoken to Mark from Hills Motorsport in Sydney this morning (they rebuilt Jason from HPI's gearbox). I had a nice long chat with Mark.
I got a quote for a transmission rebuild for $2200 and i'm quite happy with that price - even though it's not time for me yet, i know it'll happen some day so i'm just preparing myself.
They rebuild the parts with quality kevlar clutches and replace parts to ensure that the box will last long on high boost levels.

Mark also advised that it's essential to have an oil cooler in our cars if we start upping the boost levels and increasing power.
So i'm going to return my car to stock boost now until i get an oil cooler.

The average rebuild time will take just less than 7 days including ordering parts and transmission R&R.

Has anyone upped their boost and had no problems without an oil cooler yet?

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Trans oil cooler is essential anyways bro! :)

Its a DIY job too. Gotta love saving money.... :D

$2300 is what i got quoted for the warranty fix on my box. I later found out that that is for a full rebuild lol.... They were just going to get it done while the box was out and make the warranty mob pay for it but it doesn't look like that'll go ahead :(

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
$2200 seems pretty reasonable to me (especially after seeing Nissy's rebuild cost of $3.5k!!) I remember seeing Snickels paid $3k also, so overall good price with Kevlar clutches etc.

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
Yeah. I've removed the boost controller for now and returned it to stock boost until i get the oil cooler in a couple of weeks time then i'll whack it back on.
Feels so slow lol but I want to stretch the gearbox's life as much as i can :)

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
Gee, wish this was around when my transmission failed ... :(

I paid $2500 to have my transmission replaced, only 4 days after owning my Legnum...

Transmission cooler was the first thing I bought afterwards !

G

Unregistered
mine went a year without a cooler.

admittedly the first box died after 4 launches at the drags, but i'm claiming that as a dud box, the second box has had a good 20+ launches and hammering in tiptronic and hasnt missed a beat.

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
96 S2 RZ Supra with 500whp
I've probably launched mine from 2300rpm at least 30 times also and it's still going strong.

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
mine went a year without a cooler.

admittedly the first box died after 4 launches at the drags, but i'm claiming that as a dud box, the second box has had a good 20+ launches and hammering in tiptronic and hasnt missed a beat.
Mitch, what kind of launches were these? Just a stall at 3000rpm then into Drive or full on 5000rpm stalls?

I've probably launched mine from 2300rpm at least 30 times also and it's still going strong.
2300rpm wouldn't hurt it i guess. But I've never really launched mine.
For drags, i just hammered the pedal down from a standing start and let it work its way up. Call me a bitch, but i need my gearbox to work for now lol
I'm not confident in massive launches until after i get mine rebuilt with quality parts.

G

Unregistered
standing on the brake + accel, 3500rpm full boost launches. :) (stock torque converter wont stall any higher)

btw, if you want to kill your box, revving it in neutral then putting it in drive is a sure fire way.

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
standing on the brake + accel, 3500rpm full boost launches. :) (stock torque converter wont stall any higher)

btw, if you want to kill your box, revving it in neutral then putting it in drive is a sure fire way.
Thanks for the tip. Good thing i don't do that ;)

Standing on the brake pedal and accelerating to 3500rpm and launching it. Jesus christ. Isn't that just as bad, or even worse than reving it in neutral and slamming it into drive?

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
^haha, surely not Irwin!! :ROFLMAO:

Footbrake + revs will only build heat in the transmission due to the torque converter working damn hard. As long as you only do it occasionally then run the car for a bit to cool the trans down (through moving air in cooler) then it won't doo TOO much harm.

Whereas revving it up in Neutral then dropping into drive places severe shock through the whole system - torque converter, gearset, clutches etc. NOT A GOOD THING!

gorgath

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Irwin
Drive
1997 Legnum RED!!!
Yeah yeah, I can vouch that as Lee said. Even though my box is not busted (as yet) but it happen to me twice already. Forgetting I was on auto mode and shifting it to neutral thinking I was using tippy then a loud THUG noise when I place it back to drive while rev is at 3500.

Oh how silly I am:wanker:

G

Unregistered
Auto issues are easy to fix, remove it, throw it in the bin and fit a manual :p

gorgath

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Irwin
Drive
1997 Legnum RED!!!
yeah, that if you found a full manual kit conversion.

G

Unregistered
sorry if i miss anything, the $2200 rebuild is that for auto or manual?
is it a drive in drive out no other cost like trans fluid trans filter and stuff like that?

gorgath

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Irwin
Drive
1997 Legnum RED!!!
Its for an auto and yes, as far as I know that's what dimi told me.

G

Unregistered
thanks, will keep that in mind

also besides Hills, where can i get my auto trans fully flushed?

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
thanks, will keep that in mind

also besides Hills, where can i get my auto trans fully flushed?
Hey Felix, it's recommended that you do the transmission flush yourself.
Club VR-4 have a good guide on how to flush it.
Have a shot at doing it. It'll take you a couple of hours, but it's good experience.
You can also take your car to Meek. I highly recommend Meek and Hills Motorsport to do any work on your VR-4 as they are the most experienced, honest and friendly workshops for our cars in Sydney.
Both workshops are buddies with each other as well.

If you need any help with flushing just let me know.

Top Bottom