The Automatic Transmission Variant Database

G

Unregistered
This will be used in an attempt to figure out which gearboxes had the good & bad wave springs without needing to open them up to check. Visually there seems to be three variants of the transmission, but this alone isn't enough information to go on as some internal components have been different even within the same variant.

Main variants:
1. external filter
2. one way clutch + external filter
3. one way clutch (but no external filter)

Does anyone know the confirmed production dates for them?

It would be helpful if members with automatic transmissions could locate the serial numbers and post them up in this thread. The numebers are on top of the transmission case, printed in dox matrix font on a raised rectangular area. Just in front of the air box (you will have to remove the snorkel) near your transmission filter or where OWC is stamped on the case if you have them. If it is dirty you will need to wipe it and use a torch to read the numbers off.

The format is two lines like this:
W5A513E6B (9 characters in length)
FH5909 (6 characters in length)

The first 5 characters of the first line are the gearbox code (W5A51) and will be the same for everyone. I suspect the next 4 characters are the variant (3E6B) which may be different on your box, and I think the second line (FH5909) could be the serial number.

Please post up your details like this actual example:
Vehicle build date: 04/1997
Pre-facelift/Facelift: Pre-facelift
Variant (from transmission): W5A513E6B
Serial (from transmission): FH5909
External filter: [Y/N] YES
One Way Clutch (OWC): [Y/N] YES
Transaxle (from original Mitsubishi firewall plate): W5A51 xxxx?
Transmission ever failed? [Y/N] YES
If failed, why? Currently investigating, but not wave spring related
Or, if you have ASA, could you please post your VIN's exact production period for the build date (eg: 1997043).

The below photos show where you can locate the serial numbers on the transmission.

locating-trans-serial1.jpg
locating-trans-serial2.jpg
locating-trans-serial3.jpg

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
Great idea. I will have mine for you tomorrow night.

Do we know if any fixes were sanctioned, performed and documented by Mitsubishi?

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
Vehicle build date: 09/1999
Serial (from transmission): JR040
Transaxle (from original Mitsubishi firewall plate): W5A51
If failed, why? Crunchy, Jumpy

Mine is upside down and will prob sit there for ages, here is the info i remember.

G

Unregistered
Cheers Scott, whenever you flip it over again can you check if there a digit missing from the serial number?

Also.. on the firewall plate after it says W5A51 there is a bit of a gap and then another number on other side of the plate. I'm not sure if it's related to the trans but I noted it anyway.

G

Unregistered
Vehicle build date: 12/2000
Pre-facelift/Facelift: Facelift
Variant (from transmission): W5A513EZB
Serial (from transmission): NA7619
External filter: [Y/N] NO
Transaxle (from original Mitsubishi firewall plate): W5A51 3312
Transmission ever failed? [Y/N] YES (well, no actually. fixed it before failure)
If failed, why? Broken weak wave spring.

G

Unregistered
Vehicle build date: 12/1999 (1999122)
Serial (from transmission): KV1857
Transaxle (from original Mitsubishi firewall plate): n/a
Transmission ever failed? [Y/N] No - confirmed already has strengthened wave spring.
If failed, why? n/a

chrisssss

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
krsta
Drive
99' s2 manual legnum vr4
will definitely get on to this tomorrow, if the wave spring is a faulty weak wave spring where can people get there hands on the stronger variant

ryanjames.powell

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Ryan
Drive
1999 Legnum 24 Viento GDI
Not my car, but am in the progress of helping a friend find a new transmission, so I'll post the details:

Vehicle build date: 1998 (don't know month).
If failed, why? Not sure exactly, a cog broke, 5th gear was mentioned. It could have been the wave spring thing, but mechanic didn't say that.

G

Unregistered
Thanks Ryan, any chance of getting the serial number too that is stamped below the variant on the top of the case?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
fellas.. what's OWC -One Way Clutch.. I dont quite get it.. have I missed anything here?

G

Unregistered
It's basically like a freewheel. Think of your push bike when you stop pedalling while moving.

chrisssss

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
krsta
Drive
99' s2 manual legnum vr4
Vehicle build date: 12/1999 (1999123)
Serial (from transmission): KX0421
Transmission ever failed? yes one launch too many 1,2,3 and reverse are grinding and it hops in reverse 1 and 2 but i was beating the hsv i was dragging b4 it went clonk =p

sorry for the late response, not sure about this but were the location of the external filter is it looks like there could be a filter of some sorts that fits there ill take a photo and upload it when i am not capped

ryanjames.powell

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Ryan
Drive
Thanks Ryan, any chance of getting the serial number too that is stamped below the variant on the top of the case?

Maybe at some point. I'm about 2 hours drive away from the gearbox at the moment. Is this (3E6B) variant quite common? I am told that we must find the exact same one or we will have problems.

ryanjames.powell

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Ryan
Drive
Not my car, but am in the progress of helping a friend find a new transmission, so I'll post the details:

If failed, why? Not sure exactly, a cog broke, 5th gear was mentioned. It could have been the wave spring thing, but mechanic didn't say that.

I may have to change this to NO external filter. I'm going by what I was told over MSN from somebody who lives where the gearbox is, and he didn't really know but from my description said yes. By the sound of all the other 3E6B variants posted, this could be wrong.

ryanjames.powell

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Ryan
Drive
OK, so - revised:

Serial number: HD3701

I have checked all this myself now and YES it does have an external filter, but I couldn't find anything about build date on the car. Where is this info?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Post the chassis number and someone will be able to tell you. Where is your friend? I have a box here that will suit.

G

Unregistered
Actually I've had a look on the original Mitsubishi metal plate and it doesn't say the build date.. so I'm also wondering where to find it on the car. But I know that if I look up the VIN number in ASA it will tell me the full date. If you want, PM me your VIN and I will tell you the exact date.

ryanjames.powell

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Ryan
Drive
Post the chassis number and someone will be able to tell you. Where is your friend? I have a box here that will suit.

The car is in Waihi, chassis number is GF-EC5A-0100779. How much you talking? Because right now, we're only looking for bargains as he doesn't really have the money to get it fixed. It's been off the road for a year though so it's about time something was done IMHO. If you were interested in helping to install it (or anyone else from the club - he's a ClubVR4 member), then he could be willing to pay a decent price for it. The old gearbox is already out, so half the job's already done :D

Top Bottom