Do our TC03 turbos have a ceramic or steel wheel?

cam1754

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
cameron
Drive
1996 galant vr4
hi, im just wondering if anyone knows if the factory turbos are ceramic or steel wheel ...if they are steel wheel they will be able to handle alot more boost (if fuel cut is removed of course) than the ceramic wheel ones.
any help would be appreciated.
cheers

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Cam the standard turbos can handle up to the 14 or 15psi pressure, which is as high as the stock ECU will allow you to go. If you want to go higher than this, you'll need to go for upgraded ECU, SAFC, probably injectors and fuel pump and at that point you should probably be looking at upgrading the turbos as well anyway.

G

Unregistered
But does anyone know whether they are ceramic wheels or not ...I also need to know.

G

Unregistered
they are steal,

they can spike to 20ish psi, but cant maintain more than 14-15psi max.

and there out of useful breath by 5500rpm.

G

Unregistered
they are sml turbo's so like 20psi is probly out of the eficiantcy rating.

G

Unregistered
they are steal,

they can spike to 20ish psi, but cant maintain more than 14-15psi max.

and there out of useful breath by 5500rpm.
So if they are out of breath by 5500rpm are you saying it's best to change gear before redline for better performace from these turbo's?

eg: change gear at 6000rpm not 7200rpm.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Most of the guys at the dyno day were getting peak hp by 5600 so yes, change gears then, you'll be back around peak torque and pulling like a 16 year old girl ;)

G

Unregistered
ive seen people mention they run out of puff at 14-15psi but what is the standard boost on galants/legnums

G

Unregistered
8ish psi and im pretty sure ther TD's not TC's TC is very old tech, like back in the 80's

G

Unregistered
mitsi havent used the TC turbos since the late 80's

from then on everything that i can find has been the TD series,
including the 7g 6a12 which was twin tdo25's

those are VERY old topics IMO. with people who IMO just thought they new everything :p

take one off to confirm if you like, there deffinately td03's

do a search on cvr4, you'll find alot more topics on td03's than you will tc03's... wonder why?? :p

G

Unregistered
Yeah they are 100% Td-03 turbos

Mine are on the floor at the moment, and the codes are 49131-04300, 960902020

Which if you google it, tells you they are Td03's with the 7g compressor wheel (steel)

There are two possible codes one ending in 04300, and the other in 04100.

Im not quite sure the significance, but mine are from a 1998 Prefacelift if that helps

Attachments

• Turbos.JPG
    Turbos.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 203

Subaru ETA

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
David
Drive
97 Galant VR-4 M/T
last night i gave mine a caining through the gears. i was getting around 11psi right up to about 6000rpm then dropped down to like 6 psi by the redline

G

Unregistered
Cause i had nothing better to do, heres some pics of my tired out TD03, you can see how cooked the seals were.

Check out the coke can, shows just how friggin small these things are.. Its a miracle they dont explode, ...ay brad:ROFLMAO:

TD03-7G 002.jpg
TD03-7G 003.jpg
TD03-7G 004.jpg
TD03-7G 006.jpg

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
jeez, how tiny do they want to be :D are TD04s a heap bigger?

Top Bottom