Help needed buying a Legnum S2

Requested

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joshua
Drive
1996 Toyota Soarer GT-L vvti x2, Legnum S2
Hi there

I am in the market for a legnum and I have found one I really like but I was wondering if anyone with leggy knowledge could help inspect it for me or if you could point me in the right direction of someone who could.

I am not too good with the engine side of things so anyone that knew a bit about this would be really helpful.

Please email me tupac200@hotmail.com Thank you very much.

Regards

Joshua

G

Unregistered
there a couple of people in WA who really know their stuff, where abouts are you located?

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Yea where are you and more importantly, where is the car, Josh? If it's down south Mitch would be your best bet if he's available as he knows the cars well. If you're up north I might be able to swing by maybe depending on when you want to look at it. I don't think many other WA members have had much of the engine apart yet?

Requested

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joshua
Drive
Guys thanks heaps for your responses. Much appreciated. I am located NOR in Warwick and the seller is NOR. No net link to car. I really want someone to check this car so I can put down a deposit asap.
I dont mind having to pick anyone up and dropping you even if SOR. Trevor can you help, when is conveniant for yourself? Happy to work around you. Or else how can I get in contact with Mitch? Just want to check turbos, no cracked head, suspension., 4wd, transmission and expensive stuff.

I usually use RAC but when I got my soarer is was like $250 for a pg of crap. Really a rip off. Auto masters were very good but have discontinued service.

Email me at tupac200@hotmail.com

Thanks again.

G

Unregistered
Hey Josh,

Some of the things your looking to check are quite involved.

Turbo's - Unless there is something seriously wrong its hard to tell the condition, you can take off the 'Y pipe' and check for oil to see if its got badly blown seals, if its got a cracked exhaust housing or on its way out it may feel a little laggy... hence it would be good to let a current VR4 owner drive it to see if its up to par... but to fully diagnose the conditions of the turbo it will not be an easy task for some one to do on a test drive.

Cracked head... well you can get some strip things you dunk into the radiator to test for resonant CO2... or check the water/oil to see if its milky... or possibly a leak down test... but once again it is hard to say definitively as you can get a small crack in the head gasket that over time will get worse and eventually cause heating issues that MAY warp/crack the head... but a good place to start would be a compression/leak down test/C02 test.

Suspension should be easy enough to tell...

4wd/transmission... I know very little about AYC... so one of the Type S guys will be able to tell you more here... but if its auto a good indicator is to put it from park into reverse, see how long it takes to change. The hardest gear for the auto is reverse so if it can select that fairly quickly (pretty much straight away) its a good indicator that the box is reasonably ok (aside from obviously noticing horrific noises, difficultly changing gears and such). I wish I could offer more advice in regard to the trans, but I have always had manuals and this is my first auto so im learning aswell.

But yeah it wouldn't hurt to get someone that knows what to expect from a VR4 and hopefully they can give you some direction... but like I say, theres alot that they can't be expected to predict aswell.

TomTom

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4 Type S
Galant VR4 in Kalgoorlie

If anyone of you think to buy the Galant '00 advertised on carsales.com.au for $15,499 - forget it! I was there 2 weeks ago, disgusting & damaged wheels, heavy smoker car with burns in the console, clearance between bonnet & wings not equal and the hydraulic valve lifters sounds not pretty good! The seller couldn't tell me if the cam belt was changed or not and the Galant has no AYC.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Josh I'd really love to help you mate, but it'll be difficult enough finding half an hour for a quick check-over, what you're talking about is a good couple of hours going over the car and I have no idea where I'll find that much time atm :( If suddenly have a large job cancelled or postponed I'll get in touch immediately though.

G

Unregistered
I live in warwick - but if you could get the sellers permission, if you can bring it down to the RPW workshop in osborne park on Saturday I can have a look at it for you. It will be only a quick one but I can usually check the most commen problems quickly in around 1/2 hour.

Requested

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joshua
Drive
Mr Mitsu thank you very much for your detailed repy. Will definately look into what you've said. Thanks

Tom Tom that sounds terrible. I need a Leggy for work so no galants. I already have a soarer.

Trevor, not a problem I realise I am asking a bit so I totally understand. Thanks anyway and yes if you do get a chance that would be awesome.

David that would be greatly appreciated. Can you give me your mobile so I can get in contact with you.
Thanks, I just want the assurance so I can buy it and not worry too much.

Requested

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joshua
Drive
You are legend David! I will be in from 9:20AM hopefully. Just checked with seller. Thanks.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Sounds like you're sorted, great to hear and I look forward to seeing your Member's Ride thread up by Monday! :p :bigsmile:

Requested

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joshua
Drive
Haha. Thanks, I hope it all goes well. Will report shortly

Requested

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joshua
Drive
Guys thank you all very much for your insight! I cannot thank Dave, Mitsiman from RPW enough for having a look, if you ever have a problem with your leggy give this guy a yell (contact details above). Thanks

Anyway Dave said car was good so I put a deposit down and have to get my finance and then pick up the beautiful thing...oh and sell the 02 magna station wagon I bought eventually.

Can anyone recommend any good finance companies or banks?

Thanks guys. Cant wait to have my car

illuzian

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ant
Drive
98 F/L Legnum VR4
Depending on your financial situation I'd recommended going with a bank you have a history with, it's usually easier to get approval if you go down that path.

G

Unregistered
What model Magna wagon do you have? How much you chasing for it? Glad to hear yuo liked the car - it was an excellent car.

Requested

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joshua
Drive
Thanks for the replies. My update is ended up selling the 02 TJ magna station wagon for 6.2k and saved enough to be able to pay the difference myself so no banks and no mucking around. IF all goes well I will have it Thursday. Crossing fingers...cant wait!

Requested

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joshua
Drive
How do I know if it has an LSD? It does not have AYC I think

Top Bottom