Serious Problem! Plz Help

G

Unregistered
I was driving along last night and all of a sudden my bottom front ball joint popped out, car came apart, wheel smashed into upper guard and i think it was the axel? popped out?

Huge problems.... had to have it towed back to my house where we have seemingly put it back together.

I had replaced that ball joint 2 weeks ago and was wondering if anyone could give me a part number so i can check to make sure its the exact one i need (as i was told there was two possibilites)...

How do I also get that green boot? back over what I assume is the axel?

Thanks

G

Unregistered
did you replace it with a new lower arm??
this is a common fault/failure part on legnums/galants.

you should not just pop it back together, replace it with a new one.
gen parts preferably, as some aftermarket ones have been known to fail prematurely

also left or right? as they are different,
pm me your full chassis number and ill pm you the correct mitsi part number

you may need to change the drive shaft aswell as these tend to bend on impact/failure of the ball joint

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
Hi James,

Ok, when your after information such as this you need to also include whether its the Drivers or Passenger side of the Car, additionally if your car is a series 1 or series 2, as there are differences in the suspension between each series.

If you had these replaced a fortnight ago then I'm wondering whether your addressing only the symptom rather than the cause, if this ball joint popped out there has to be a reason, ie the arm itself is worn..... just a thought.

Either that or whomever did the work should be covering it under warranty because obviously something in the equation is wrong.

So to help identify the correct part please see ASA printouts and tell me what PNC # is, from the diagram below, from this I'll get the Genuine Mitsubishi Part # for you.

Whilst there is no difference between the left and right Ball Joints, there is different part#'s for the arms...

Yea I'm a perfectionist... my bad, but help me to help you.....

Suspension-BallJointFront.jpg

As for the Drive Shaft Boot, I believe that its simply a clip that holds this on, but I know some of our suspension guru's will jump in here to give you a thorough explanation.

LOL< Gly to the rescue.....

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
The lower arms are all the same for PFL and FL. What brand arm did you use? I hope it was genuine mitsi.

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
I was speaking in general that we need clarification for which series we needed answered because there is differences between Series 1 and Series 2 VR4's in the front suspension but not in this case, it was more about the message of giving all the details to make sure we give the right info Brad.

I'm just anally retentive... (dont you dare)

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
There iffffffffy, some are ok, but others have failed within weeks of replacement, buyer beware. Use Genuine for suspension components such as this, IMO.

Mac Dog

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Macca
Drive
Red 1997 Legnum
God damn it.

So in both our situations where would be the best option for the cheapest genuine Mitsi parts, Ralliart NZ?

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
Probably, maybe even Jese Streeter or the likes, the bargain shoppers will chime in here hopefully... Just not Ripsubishi Australia if at all possible

Haggiss

Crunching Gears
First Name
Corey Brazendale
Drive
Legnum VR-4 S2
Wasn't there a recall on these ball joints due to failure???

If so, and a car hasn't been done, would Mitsu Aus honor that recall???

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
Heres a link to check if your vehicle has been corrected, Throw your VIN# in the box, then copy the results in the table, then paste into translator using Babelfish.

Bit clumsy, but it works

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
unfortunately ripobishi would not honor the recall fix..

their reason is.. its from mitsubishi japan - import.. blah.. blah.. blah.. blah..

I say we should take them to court.. lol

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
1999 White Legnum Type S Cold Spec with Recaros+Sunroof
link not working??

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
unfortunately ripobishi would not honor the recall fix..

their reason is.. its from mitsubishi japan - import.. blah.. blah.. blah.. blah..

I say we should take them to court.. lol

Thats rubbish Christian, it's a bit of a painful process, they're just being lazy...

They message Japan with VIN details, that is checked against their database to establish whether correction is needed/or it's already done, then warranty is approved, but it takes about 4weeks, not a good situation, but thats how it works.

Go Turkey Slap the Ripsubishi dealer about the head, It's a International Recall, it will be honoured...

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
still.. they'll rip you off since they'll tell you that they can't do X because of X.. so might as well do the work yourself.. lol

still Ripsubishi

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
Oh I don't disagree with that, they're useless and charge like wounded bulls for the displeasure of dealing with them

Haggiss

Crunching Gears
First Name
Corey Brazendale
Drive
Legnum VR-4 S2
Hmmm... Has anyone in aus ever successfully got this recall done by Mitsu???

Ive worked in a car dealership and know that outstanding recalls are covered by warranty for life, I might go have a chat to the local dealer...

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
Hmmm... Has anyone in aus ever successfully got this recall done by Mitsu???

Ive worked in a car dealership and know that outstanding recalls are covered by warranty for life, I might go have a chat to the local dealer...

are you talking about mitsubishi or other manufacturers?

I think i read or heard somewhere that if you were to buy a mitsubishi dont take it to a mitsubishi for service or repairs..

GavDaniels

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin Daniels
Drive
2006 Mercedes Benz ML320CDI

Previously Owned
1997 Legnum VR-4 Type S
2000 Galant VR-4 Type V (Race Car) (regretful sale)
Hey Guys,

Chadstone Mitsubishi in Melbourne South East definately fit into that category. Thankfully it was only the wife's locally purchased Outlander that I took there. (Once Only and never again). I also know first hand that their roadworthy's on the second hand vehicles they sell are not always accurate either.

But a friend has an Evo 8 MR and she found that Knox Mitsubishi were extremely helpful when it came to getting the immobiliser codes and override codes for her, and did a good job of programming the key. And this was after being screwed around by Chadstone Mitsubishi where she ordered and purchased the key, and had to pay for programming by the service department which couldnt do it. I dont know the quality of their service work, but after being told about just getting an MR key programmed, I think I might actually try them if Jeff ever decides to close up Tech Sport.

Regards

Gavin Daniels

Top Bottom