Cambelt done?

YTRY50

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
1996 VRG Galant->1996 Galant VR4->2002 Galant GLS->1998 Galant VR4
Hi guys, couldn't find anything clear on here and the same on google.

Is there any EASY(ish) way to tell if my cambelt has been done? The previous owner says it has but I don't know if I should believe him or not, there are no stickers or no writing anywhere in engine baying noting that it has been done.

So far I have read that a 40,000 km old cambelt can look the same as a 100,000 km old cambelt...

So what's the best way to see if its done?

Thanks in advance.

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
^^^ might want to spell / edit your thread title properly so people know what your on about.

Is it written in the service / log book?
If you know where the car has been serviced you could call them and ask?

justdo

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Daniel
Drive
2000 evo 6.5 TME
If you have no clear answer do it regardless,better to be safe than sorry........

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
Look at the belt. If it look's new, it is. If it looks discolored/faded/worn/stringy or if you can see the tooth pattern through the top of the belt it's old and should be replaced.

YTRY50

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
camblet - sorry guys lol.

Steve - do the belts ever have dates on them?

Chris - I got the car shipped up from down south in New Zealand and the owner was a matured lady and has moved over to Aussie, so no way to find out :( and there are no logs or books.

Jonson

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jon
Drive
MY15 X MR
Do the bolts have any wear marks on them, that usually shows if it has been taken off before. Check the timing cover bolts.
As for the belt itself, if within a year or so old it should still be dark grey or black, there should be no cracks in the teeth side and no signs of dragging.

YTRY50

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
ohk thanks guys. Will have a look in weekend Jon. Car done 120,000km...so im hoping its been done :S

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Like Jon and Steve said I'd have a good look at the bolts and the belt condition, look for little tell tale markers that mechanics like to use etc and then when I had enough parts off to have a good look, I'd just change it anyway :)

(Sorry that's just commentary on what I would end up doing, not my advice)

Oh and if you do, don't forget water pump, tensioners etc

YTRY50

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
hmm i cant really tell by looking at it, getting my mate whos a mechanic to look at it this weekend. At 120,000km would it be most likely that it would of broken by now if it was the original one??

lathiat

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trent Lloyd
Drive
97 Legnum (Manual)
Generally speaking they can last up to 140,000 KM or so. But you don't want to risk it, ultimately if it's not obvious, I'd simply get it done. Much more damage to your engine will ensue if it breaks.

Abusive

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
2000 Legnum
If you have no clear answer do it regardless,better to be safe than sorry........

What Daniel said, my old Galant sat off the road for a while due to a minor crash, got it fixed and was only about 200 k's into loving it again and the belt went. Needless to say it was good-bye motor and after replacing that it was just never the same again.

Any doubts at all, just replace it.

Top Bottom