Removing rear view mirror/Installing auto dimming one.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
Hey guys, so I need a bit of help/thought I'd see if anyone had done this.

I read on here that a couple of guys had put Verada auto dimming rear view mirrors in their cars and assumed that ment they were a direct fit. Turns out they're not a direct fit and I need to remove the rear view mirror mount from the windscreen so I can glue the Magna/Verada/380 one on.

Any advice on how to get that sucker off would be much appreciated. Also bonus points if someone can give me pointers on how to glue the new one on. I can probably do a bit of a write up once I'm done.

Macca.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
i think it is best to bring it to a windscreen repair shop as they use specific glue/epoxy for it

also chance of cracking the windscreen as well

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
Yeah I could but I figure, how hard could it be. You can buy the glue from any auto shop. Worse comes to worse I have a free windscreen with my insurance company.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
Alright, so a bit of an update, I took my car to a local windscreen place and they were able to remove the tab for me without damaging the windscreen. They glued the new button off the 380 on all good to go. Mirror looks great:

20181215_091631.jpg

20181215_091642.jpg

Just for some details:

Its a Mitsubishi 380 VRX mirror which is a Gentex 455 mirror. The wiring plug has 3 wires (cut out of a 380) but only two are really needed. Here is a picture of the plug, the wires from the 380 are in terminal 1, 2 and 3:

Gentex Plug.jpg

I removed the drivers side A pillar cover and ran a wire from an ignition wire (blue with red stripe) there to the mirror wire loom and earthed the ground to the bracket that holds the cabin light assembly. Job done. Enjoy your new electrochromic mirror. If you wire the mirror to the cabin light it will always be active and drain your battery so make sure you use an ACC/IGN wire.

For info, the 380 mirror attaches to the windscreen button by sliding it onto it and tightening a torx screw where as earlier mirrors have a clip that tend to break the windscreen on removal. Makes cleaning the inside of the windscreen far easier.

Gav

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gav
Drive
Galant
I was going to put one of these in. But ended up using one of the eBay wide clip on mirrors to help limit blind spots

ersanalamin

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ersan Al Amin
Drive
Year 2000 EA5A => FL EC5A
i also interesting on installing aftermarket rear view mirror with dimming feature and maybe with other feature than just auto dimming., let say DVR and reverse camera. the problem is its so hard to find adapter that suit our front rear view mirror base button on the front glass. Untill last week I ve found the seller on aliexpress.com offering auto dimming rear view mirror with custom bracket/adapter that hopefully suit our front glass base/button. The seller said they have that custom bracket/adapter that meet galant/legnum front glass base button.

Here's the link auto dimming rear view mirror with DVR and reverse camera cost $159 US

If you need just auto dimming, way cheaper

and the picture of rear view mirror custom bracket/adapter #57 VS Stock one on attachment

I bought the auto dimming one with DVR feature today, hopefully it will work perfectly later on. will update on the result ASAP.

p1.jpg
Cuplikan layar 2022-01-02 143330.jpg

Top Bottom