Best quality petrol

jaygore

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jamie
Drive
1998 Series 2 Pearl White Legnum
Hey guys i dont know if this has been posted up here before, but from what i have found some companies petrol seems to be better in my car and i get much better economy.

Here are some of the ones i have found to be best for me and where i live and economy wise, interested to hear on the economy for other people with different brands. oh and i always run 98 (obviously :p)

good:
- Shell
- Apco

Bad:
- BP
- Ampol

jaygore

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jamie
Drive
usually around 360-370 ran it on bp and only got around 340, bp isnt much worse, but in ballarat it seems to be quite a bit more expensive most of the time

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
It may be very hard to gauge quality of fuel as we all get it from different places. I remember i used Vortex98 all the time in my old GT Starlet but one day went to a servo that i had never used before and got the worst batch of fuel i had ever had. Car coughed and spluttered for the whole 40ltr's.
But my 2.2 cents, lately, my car has been enjoying Shell V Power. It helps with the 4c per/ltr off from ya shop-a-docket....Just. But i only use the one servo.

jaygore

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jamie
Drive
yea i have been using the shell v-power alot lately also as i have found that this has been the best for my car

i will use another petrol station which is closer if i need to put 10 or so bucks in to get me by till next payday as shell isnt near my house and i have to drive into town to get it, but when ever i use ampol (they use caltex petrol) my economy always sucks bigtime, just from what i have noticed

swift5_8

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tomas
Drive
Current: Legnum, Datsun 260z x 3
Past: 180sx, gti-r sold R32 GTS4, 1972 Restored Celica
Hey i run my on what ever and i get 400+ even with a bit of a slap on the ASS from time to time.
So it must be dependinc on particular car. I got a good air filter and compared to a shitty one i get 40 km extra or so per tank.

there was a thread about changing something about exhaust temperature sensor or something that increased everyones economy - sometimes by 90 km plus per tank.
I cant remeber what it was called but it only costed 35 dollars from Repco on sale i think anyways look into it.

Cheers
Tomas

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
there was a thread about changing something about exhaust temperature sensor or something that increased everyones economy - sometimes by 90 km plus per tank.
I cant remeber what it was called but it only costed 35 dollars from Repco on sale i think anyways look into it.

Cheers
Tomas

O2 Sensor. And yep, most people enjoy an improvement when changed.

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
I usually use V-Power, Caltex Ultimate and BP Ultimate.. They work best for me, Mobil seems okay..

But V-Power seems to fetch better results..

And with the O2 Sensors, hell I wouldn't know what to look for or where to fit it, etc!

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
1999 White Legnum Type S Cold Spec with Recaros+Sunroof
I used shell and the car smoked and spluttered for the whole tank, haven't used it since. I use Caltex

MUNGEL

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jess
Drive
99 Series II Legnum
I only use BP ultimate 98 or Caltex Vortex 98.
Once accidentally filled up with Vortex at a Woolies Caltex servo and didnt realise that their Vortex is 95 :(
Couldnt wait to get rid of that tank of juice, altho it didnt take long with the fuel economy i get with 95

minik1971

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nigel
Drive
White 1990 BMW 535i was a Black 1998 Legnum FL (written off)
Lucky people for having a choice! BP ULTIMATE thats it in Tasmania!

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
I usually use V-Power, Caltex Ultimate and BP Ultimate.. They work best for me, Mobil seems okay..

But V-Power seems to fetch better results..

And with the O2 Sensors, hell I wouldn't know what to look for or where to fit it, etc!

How to change O2 sensor

Hey Tom, you have probably already seen this thread but just in case you haven't;)
I am not to talented with the fumbling around under the car but it only took me less than 1 hour.

VR4sum

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Alex
Drive
2009 Toyota Kluger
I use whatever is close when my light comes on but recently filled up with BP Ultimate and the next day installed a new fuel filter.....YOU SHOULD HAVE SEEN THE COLOUR OF THE FUEL!!

MORAL: Dont fill up with BP

(Obviously this was just a bad batch of fuel, but you know what they say...fool me once...(should I say the rest for all those Bush afficionados out there?)

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Well I used to use Mobil 98 ONLY.... But seeing as its now 19 cents per litre more expensive than 91 octane I've shifted to Shell V-Power. Seems to be better than when I last used it *shrugs

I'm not too concerned with what I use, if I get a bad batch its just the luck of the draw unfortunately

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
Using Shell V-Power here since it's the most consistent around these parts. No issues here at all :)

kiwibstokes

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bryan
Drive
2000 Legnum Type-S
I use whatever is close when my light comes on but recently filled up with BP Ultimate and the next day installed a new fuel filter.....YOU SHOULD HAVE SEEN THE COLOUR OF THE FUEL!!

MORAL: Dont fill up with BP

(Obviously this was just a bad batch of fuel, but you know what they say...fool me once...(should I say the rest for all those Bush afficionados out there?)

I heard that different company's tint the colour of their fuel, prob to help confirm if it is theirs? not sure..

I'm a fan of BP fuel never had a problem with it, used to always run it in my jetskis, but these days i'm not so fussy usually fill up with v-power because the servo is 200m from my house but i'll used anyone anywhere if i need and don't see a driffernce in ecomony between them..

G

Unregistered
I've always tried to fill up with BP Ultimate, that was until they started pulling dodgies. Here in WA we have FuelWatch where they post the current and tomorrows fuel prices. What I would usually do is see whether they rise or decrease the next day and fill up on the cheaper day.

But recently, what I've seen a few of the stores do is if the prices rise by a fair margin the next day the pumps suddenly become "Out of Order", and then working fine the next day. And it's not just me experiencing this as well, couple of the SAUWA guys have experienced this too. So out of principal alone, I made the switch to Vortex 98.

Unfortunately, and now back on topic, over the past few months I have gotten slightly worse economy on Caltex fuel. So I have, reluctantly, gone back to BP to see if it is the fuel and not the car.

Haven't tried United or Peak yet, and doubt I will as there aren't too many near me.

bogan bob

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Dion
Drive
'15 Amarok
I only use BP Ultimate, it works fine and i can regularly get 450-500 kms off it. Ive used Vpower and mobil but the car didnt seem to run too well on either, wont touch caltex/woolies with a barge pole

If i could find a decent/reliable independant premium id give that a go, but theyd prob just source it from BP or shell.

jaygore

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jamie
Drive
If i could find a decent/reliable independant premium id give that a go, but theyd prob just source it from BP or shell.

Yes thats exactly what they do, the independent fuel station Apco that we have here use shell sometimes and other times they use others, so sometimes you get a decent quality petrol.

One of the reasons why i also dont use bp is it always seems to be more expensive and its just down the road from shell :cool: it never makes sense... but its interesting to see the differences people get out of different petrols

blkcar

Crunching Gears
First Name
lem
Drive
VR4 Galant
I remember when it was called Shell Optimax but yeah Shell V Power is the best you can get & remember they used to run the V8 Supercars on the stuff up until they switched to bio fuel.

But yeah BP fuel, I use it when I have to but you certainly have to pick the station you use. I had one batch so bad that it my engine would just stop when at idle (Not a VR4). Got a new batch of fuel never had the issue again.

Top Bottom