parepin

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
4G93 Mirage
#HairdresserCivic
Hey guys,

My car's developed a strange noise over the past week or so, producing a single click/clunk under braking when coming to a stop. Like it happens under weight transfer? I haven't had the chance to get in there yet & have a look, but will soon. Just want to know what it might be before I go hunting blindly?

It's not the driveshafts, they were completely refurbed at great expense less than a year ago, and it doesn't sound like LCAs from all the symptoms listed, but I'll check them thoroughly anyway. Brakes or suspension haven't been touched, only thing is a set of new wheels. I'm thinking it might be a bush somewhere or tie rod ends?

IDEAS PLZ! :sad:

Black_Ice

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Aamir
Drive
WRX
I had a the cluck sound coming from my legnum as well and it went away after replacing the LCa's and c-shaped LCA. I think most people who have had LCA issue have experienced the clunking sound..

I would get you LCA's check soon...and if you are gonna change your LCA's might as well change you tie rods at the same time..

Jonson

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jon
Drive
MY15 X MR
Wheel nuts tight? It's amzing how many people complain of clicking/grinding/clunking at brakes on load shift and turns out to be loose wheel nuts. It allows the rotor to 'move' which then rubs on the pads.

[TUFFTR]

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Paul
Drive
Mitsubishi Magna
As Above, Do the your LCA's. It might solve this issue and it'll definitely keep you safer on the roads.
If that doesnt fit it I'd lean towards sway bar links possibly?

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
Could be one of the pistons in your front calipers sticking in the bore and taking more force until it eventually moves.

parepin

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
4G93 Mirage
#HairdresserCivic
Yeah, new genuine LCAs were in my future anyway regardless of condition, well aware of the dangers! Do not want.

It did only start happening after I put my Evo 8 Enkeis on, but all my wheel nuts are torqued to spec & were retorqued after 100k. I'm using the proper seated nuts too. Might do them up RFT instead and see if it makes a difference, cheers Jon.

Are tie rod ends pricey? Will probably do them at the same time if cheap enough.

[TUFFTR]

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Paul
Drive
Mitsubishi Magna
No need to do them up RFT, if they are on and tight they are on!

I've never heard of the brake piston thing before......I doubt in the 2 or 3mm it moves under braking it'd enough force to make such an audible sound. I'm still leaning towards a suspension or steering component.
(However after rebuilding my calipers its amazing how much rust build up inside!)

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
you can go to Burson, Coventry, Repco, Supercheap or Autobarn..

ask for the roadsafe brand..

HJ Galant Models fit our cars :)

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
$48 ea at repco, 10% off if you're an racq member. Picked mine up today

Jonson

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jon
Drive
MY15 X MR
Lol at the piston moving 3mm when braking. Your pedal would go to the floor every time you put your foot down.

parepin

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
4G93 Mirage
#HairdresserCivic
Well if they're that cheap, no worries, do it all at once!
Pffffff, topping them up at every oil change? No thx. Sealed it is.

Thanks boys =D

parepin

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
4G93 Mirage
#HairdresserCivic
Okay so rather than start a new thread, this one's still kinda relevant. The original issue went away about a fortnight after the original post.

Since the original post, I replaced my pads all round with QFM HPX, then drove to Sydney for WTAC. It started clicking while I was down in Sydney, intermittently but then on 90% of braking events. Just a single click from front driver's side, not a clunk, usually about halfway between initial pedal application and full stop, regardless of pedal pressure as well. Replaced my LCAs and tie rod ends on Friday with OEM bits, noise went away for a couple of days, but it's reared it's ugly head again.

Wheel nuts are torqued & tight as before
New OEM LCAs and tie rod ends
New front driveshafts
New pads, retaining clips all in place (but no shims - old pads didn't have them and didn't do this)
Caliper bolts & slide pins nice and tight
No leaks, no fluid loss
Quick visual inspection of everything else in the area, no immediate issues

So what the bollocks is it, and why did it disappear completely for a few days after I had the car in the air?
Cheap pads? I haven't heard anyone else with QFMs with this issue?
It's annoying the shit out of me :sad:

dwarfmarine

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Cameron
Drive
Previous: Black PFL Legnum
Current: TD5 Land Rover Disco
I had QFM AR1Ms up front and I did have a light squeeling noise after the brakes got hot but definately no clicking/clunking as you describe..

Abusive

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
2000 Legnum
I don't mean to sound condescending, but are you 100% sure it's from the wheel area?

I had a noise in my old galant that sounded like the front had a serious issue under hard braking and hard acceleration, ended up being the right hinge on the bonnet.

Also, twice now (and the first time it had me screwed for a little) the door hinge has loosened just a little on the Legnum and the crack noise it makes sounds just like it comes from the wheel. The reason I thought of it is because the first time it was like a clunk, and only ever under braking.

parepin

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
4G93 Mirage
#HairdresserCivic
Haha yeah, pretty damn sure it's from that area, I can occasionally feel it just a touch through the pedal too.

But I'll check that stuff anyway, cheers

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
Sway bar links. Have you ever replaced? They make a hell of a racket when stuffed or loose

BFun

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ben
Drive
'99 Legnum VR-4 Type-S
Hey Andy, did you ever find out what the cause was?
I think I've got the exact same symptoms as you.

Under braking, i'll occasionally get a 'click', which I can feel through the brake pedal. Only happens when braking, but there doesn't seem to be a concrete way of getting it to happen. It varies in volume and timing each time. Sometimes it doesnt occur.

Top Bottom