Clunk feel when stopping in the auto?

G

Unregistered
Ok guys had this issue for a while now......I have a 96 Auto Legnum VR4

When I pull up to a junction/stop from any other gear but first I get a clunk and a jolt while it selects neutral/first?? Feels like it maybe coming from the rear.....

Any ideas guys or stuff I can look for to check??? Do you think its an internal gearbox problem? I've no other real issues with the box really

Cheers Guys

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Jesus. Can the last member with an operational automatic gearbox please turn off the light before they leave?

Not good.

G

Unregistered
anyone ever have this problem though??? Fluids are fine, TC Seal done recently, selects gears ok (kind of , slight rev up when changing to 3rd, but not really and issue at all) everything feels good just this clunk/jolt when stopping still from 2nd or above.

feels like it maybe coming from rear area!? but i maybe mistaken

defo drivetrain and not brakes, wheels or any other issue!

G

Unregistered
Have you checked all the engine mounts Cain

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
Don't worry Cain, you're not alone.
Mine does the exact same thing and it's esepcially noticeable when I put the car into Reverse.
I also get the clunk when i'm in traffic, too. If i accelerate a bit and coast, it will clunk in 1st or 2nd when i let go of the pedal.

I took my car to Meek Automotive and they said it's either a worn engine mount or the transmission mount.

I haven't been bothered to get it changed yet, but if my transmission dies any time soon, i'll get it done while the box is being rebuilt.

G

Unregistered
If you replace the worn mounts the car will feel like it takes of quicker as you won't have to take up the slack first. Mine felt as if it went away better when I changes them to the poly mounts

G

Unregistered
Was thinking mounts as if a problem with the box was causing the movement then mounts that aren't bust wouldn't make it move??? if you get me :bigsmile:????

Wrote that a bit confusing......:ROFLMAO:

Now i need to figure out where all the mounts are and work out how to tell which are knacked????

I found the one in the middle under the engine thats kind of attached to a subframe attachment type thing??? and also left hand side facing car top mount (which looks fine)

Where are the others and can you tell which are knacked by looking??:confused:

Cheers

G

Unregistered
The rear one is attached to the rear subframe but it can be difficult to check without removing it. Gearbox one is opposit side to the engine one and is under the air filter housing.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
The rear one is virtually impossible to see unless you are looking from one of the wheel arches and have a strong torch. The others are easier to see.

There was a car I worked on in NZ recently that had the front mount installed the wrong way up. This meant the front mount pulled down on the engine rather than supported it and this caused a similar problem.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
Jesus. Can the last member with an operational automatic gearbox please turn off the light before they leave?

What do you mean ??? There are plenty of us with perfectly fine auto gearboxes.

I read just as many posts about people having problems with clutches & shit with their manuals...

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
The clutch is a lot cheaper to replace though, and you get a 20,000km warning with it as clutches slowly degrade. Anyway, we are off topic, so lets end the auto v manual discussion here.

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
My car used to do this a little but not all that bad. Once i installed the Urethane engine mounts it pretty much dissapeared. You sure it makes a difference depending what gear you are in?

Top Bottom