Got hit by a B Double Truck on The freeway (sleeping truck driver)

swift5_8

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tomas
Drive
Current: Legnum, Datsun 260z x 3
Past: 180sx, gti-r sold R32 GTS4, 1972 Restored Celica
Hi guys
I thought I post this so and make a point of it / lesson.
Monday Morning about 1 am was raining like it crazy while me, my missus and her friends were coming back form an engagement party on the free way.

I had a few at the party and so have the friends who were seated in the back while I was in the shotgun seat with girlfriend driving.
At this point a B Double truck ( a huge bastard ) caught up to us and I thought he will overtake but he just ended up staying next to us like a convoy.

While talking to the friends over the shoulder and say the famous Dave Chapples line “ I wish I had four thumbs so that I could them titties four thumbs down!”

I see the truck drifting across the lane and coming straight for us at which point I knew it was too late and that we will be hit yet I did not say a word ( I must have been very drunk)

Split second later we were stuck underneath the front of the trunk being pushed along the free way, all I remember is looking at the headlight and thinking “ this is it - what a shit way to go” then “ hmm I cant feel any pain must be all the adrenalin” all while the girls in the car screaming the scariest screams I have ever heard no joke!

Few seconds later ( which seamed like ages ) the truck was still on our right but we were going backwards down the free way hitting his right hand door or the wheel while being squished against the guard rail.
We kept on getting stuck on the truck and this lasted about 100 meters and all I could see was the tires trying to climb onto the bonnet - scary thoughts of being crushed rushed past thru my head followed by almost a feeling of a guard rail piercing thru my back my guts and coming out the front of the car no joke (yet that did not happen)

At this point the truck pulled away and drove down maybe 800 meters and stopped.

The door was stuck so smashed the rest of my window climbed out and pulled my girlfriend out the car thru the window and said some nasty words for the stunned / shocked friends to get out of the car as it was sticking out onto the freeway fast lane and in the rain I was sure it would be hit again.

My girlfriend literally lost her plot for few minutes and was collapsing scaring the shit out of me and the girl and the guy were drunk and walking like dazed people on the freeway so I would grab them and drag them to the centre median and then attend my girlfriend as by then she would be on the freeway grrrrrrrr this kept on happening until and ambulance that was driving past pulled over and gave me a hand.

While the ambos helped I ran to the truck to take photos and the dude jumps out - he said he was too scared to come out as he thought he killed us and did not want to see ( pu&&y ) is basically what I called him.

The truck barely had any scratches and tiny bend that’s all while the car looked like it had bee squeezed thru a hole not designed for it – just mess a complete write off.

Cables cut thru the metal wheels bent on funny angles and so fort.
One lesson I have learned DO NOT DRIVE NEXT TO THE TRUCK simply not worth it, I have never cared and would convoy them for a long time if they chose to be doing same speed as me but as of now, well never again will i be cruzing next to the trucks.

Before you ask I will say that it was her car a little Hyundai Lantra and not my VR4 (which kind of sucks because it is insured for a lot more than its worth like 19k hmm I could a nice VR4 for that much and have money to modify it)

We all are ok just a bit shook up, sore and well when you go bed or have free time the thoughts of the moment come back and scare the crap out of you.

PeteGT

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
'99 Legnum - S Manual
Holy shit man! Glad to hear you all got out in one piece.
That shit scares me.

Kristian

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kristian
Drive
Changes daily
Fark me, that's some scary shit. The enormity of it all might not be hitting you now, tiger, but it will at some point, so recognise it when the time comes. It's scary that we have truck drivers in that condition on our roads.

knickers

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nic
Drive
'99 EC5A VR-4 Type V
Freaking scary stuff.

I've had a truck merge into me in the wet before too. I was just behind his cabin when I saw him indicate so started to speed up to get out of way and make room, but he was already in my lane so I floored it with my hand on the horn, he didn't stop. Luckily only hi my rear quarter, I got a bit sideways and but stayed in front of him. I slowed and signalled to pull over and pointed to the curb, dude didn't stop and sped up as I had pulled over. Couldn't see his number plate from the rain. Glad i was in the company car, but I certainly don't feel as comfortable beside tucks any more.

cittris

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tristian
Drive
2001 Tarmac Black Evo VII
So good to hear you all are ok. That is some scary shit. I for one make it a habit to try not be near trucks.

Would it be rude if i askd for pics of your GFs car?

swift5_8

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tomas
Drive
Thanks guys i appreciate it - everyone seem to be very concerned about the accident and is amassed how we got away ( policeman said “ not many come out alive out of something like this” then I said “shhhh don’t tell my girlfriend as she is already flipped her lid” but as Kristian said i don’t think that it has registered yet in my brain as i feel fine and not that anxious about what happened.
But sometimes when I close my eves its like a short movie scenes juts like from those advertisements for cyclist or micro sleep that the government has got on where something like that happens in a split second - that kind of keeps me of my focus from work but apart from that im cool and back at work today, my girlfriend seems ok as well so I will just wait and see if start to develop some sixth sense :) (Maybe seeing future lottery numbers would be nice)

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
Holy fkn shit that's insane dude, so glad you guys are all okay! Definitely would be a scary thing :(

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Toyota Supra RZ - The Project
Holden Commodore SS VF Series 2 - The Daily
Good to hear you all made it out, could have been a lot worse by the sound of it. Hope everyone involved makes a quick physical/pshycological (cos that would have scared the shit out of me) recovery.

Mel-D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mel
Drive
2012 Ford Focus ST Manual,Tangerine. Evo 6 Blue manual.Had 2004 XR6 Falcon M11 Auto,Yellow GT stripes. 1999 Legnum Manual,White
Great to hear everyones OK. Go buy yourselves a lotto ticket.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
damn, Im just glad everyone's escaped.. have some time off and get you and your friends checked up properly.. just in case..

Nitephyre

Flaccid Member
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt :)
Drive
1963 Toyota Lite-Stout & 2007 Toyota Blade Master G
Wow, you guys are lucky to be here... glad you're all OK.

I think it's lotto time for y'all :)

swift5_8

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tomas
Drive
Thanks again guys i appreciate it

Top Bottom