idle speed dropping

jaygore

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jamie
Drive
1998 Series 2 Pearl White Legnum
hey guys, i put this in the o2 sensore thread but no one seems to have read it yet...

ever since i have replaced my o2 sensor my idle speed drops at times and almost as low as nearly stalling... i reset the ecu after replacing the 02 sensor will it be that it is just taking time to get itself back up, it is fine sometimes when im at the lights then other times it goes down to the thick line (the 3rd one) and sometimes lower... Is this something to be worried about or just wait to see if it fixes itself?

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
Does it actually stall ever? Mine idles pretty low when it is warmed up.. sits around the 4th bar from the bottom. *Shrug*

jaygore

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jamie
Drive
no it hasn't stalled yet, but its never ran that low on idle and even at cruising speeds it just feels different *shrugs as well*

but it came very close to stalling last night... went down to one bar and i thought it was about to stall but then it went back up to the 3rd one (the thickest one)

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
Maybe before with the dead O2 sensor it was always running rich so it would idle high. Now with a working sensor it is actually regulating the fuel mixture and therefore your car can idle lower safely?

I'm sure Brad of Gly will clear this up shortly :p

jaygore

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jamie
Drive
hmmmm... interesting theory but it very well could be the case

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Jamie other members have mentioned in the past it can take the ECU a little while to relearn the correct idle point. Alternatively you could check the tension on the throttle cable and adjust it slightly. If its completely screwed it could be your idle stepper motor, but from your description I don't think that's the culprit.

jaygore

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jamie
Drive
yea i think that could be the case trevor as it is starting to look like it is sitting at the right idle speed now, so i am happy with that

G

Unregistered
Jamie, I'm replying here to as your woes seem to be spread about across a few different threads now!

Regarding changing the spark plugs.. I like to work slowly and carefully, so for the first time it took me a few hours. Since then I've taken all the bits off again to check something and it took under an hour to remove & refit everything this time, there's actually not that much to take off. You just have to know where all the bolts are and what can stay and what should come off. Club VR-4 has an excellent guide for members.

If you are really strapped for cash then you can always purchase cheaper plugs, just means you'll have to change them out sooner. If you did that once it year it wouldn't be a drama, and you could also still put the Iridiums in down the track if you wanted. You could probably buy a whole set of 6 normal plugs for under $30.

And unless your leads are physically damaged or your car has mega kms or big mods you can probably keep using the standard leads for a while yet too.

Top Bottom