Polishing Plastic

timmae2006

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tim Dev
Drive
2000 Mitsibishi Legnum
Can anyone tell me how to polish plastic? Ive got my fog light covers off and they could do with a good polish to clear them up as they are quite cloudy and weathered, but im not sure where to start....

Thanks

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
I'll be trying Mothers Plastic Polish myself this weekend as the Starlet's headlights are oxidised & have failed to pass rego.

Hank Scorpio

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Lachlan
Drive
Mazda JC Cosmo, Mazda FC3C RX7 Convertible
Got mine from Supercrap. Did the R34's headlights alright.

Although this stuff is cool and Jap ;)
http://justjap.com/store/product.php?productid=17260&cat=262&page=2

plasticcleaner.jpg

triggs

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mathew
Drive
Trigger Mauve 1996 VR-4 Galant
lol i had a civic that had that yellow tinge come through the headlights and i heard/tried toothpaste and a slighly corse rag. It worked, not 100% but it cleared it up

timmae2006

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tim Dev
Drive
2000 Mitsibishi Legnum
Ill leave the toothpaste to my teefies i think :p

timmae2006

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tim Dev
Drive
2000 Mitsibishi Legnum
The Novus stuff is the best out there and will polish plastic to an optically perfect finish. You can order it online below.

http://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/index.php?crn=213&rn=839&action=show_detail

$30.00 for 3 bottles seems pretty good, whats the catch?

Ive read on other forums long time ago about guys using 2000 grid sand paper on drills to buff the plastic up ect but didnt like the sound of that does majority of the stuff out there require just a rag or some sorta abrasive material to apply the product?

AncientOfMu

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Don
Drive
Galant V6-24
$30.00 for 3 bottles seems pretty good, whats the catch?

Ive read on other forums long time ago about guys using 2000 grid sand paper on drills to buff the plastic up ect but didnt like the sound of that does majority of the stuff out there require just a rag or some sorta abrasive material to apply the product?

Its the same principle with plastic as with any other material.

Polishing anything will always remove material from the base. In a lot of cases you want to leave the base as thick as possible while achieving the result you want.

You always want to start with the LEAST abrasive thing you have and work coarser. I would only move onto wet and dry 2000 grit or any grade if the likes of Meguirs PlastX or other products suggested do not work.

At some point I will be writing several guides regarding polishing/detailing, including one on treatment of plastics.

As an aside as you've said its your foglight covers are you sure the cloudiness is not on the INSIDE of the lens rather than the outside?

timmae2006

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tim Dev
Drive
2000 Mitsibishi Legnum
Its def outside as they are off and i think it pitting im seeing from stones and debris off the road

timmae2006

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tim Dev
Drive
2000 Mitsibishi Legnum
I bought some of the novus products as linked above, done 1 foglight, is alot clearer and big improvement but theres still a lot of pitting that i cant seem to remove, the heavy scratch remover doesnt seem to go down deep enough, should i perhaps buy a high speed drill and a lil cloth bit for it and go to town or just look at brand new plastic covers?

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
There is an article on ebay about plastic polishing. Sometimes it's just oxidisation that needs removing and you don't need to actually polish the plastic.

worth a google.

G

Unregistered
If you can use a polishing attachment it will go quicker, but be careful not to accidentally burn the plastic. You might also find 2500 - 3000 grit wet & dry will help you work faster in the initial stages to take out any pitting.

timmae2006

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tim Dev
Drive
2000 Mitsibishi Legnum
There is an article on ebay about plastic polishing. Sometimes it's just oxidisation that needs removing and you don't need to actually polish the plastic.

worth a google.

yeah i hear ya bit its definately road chips and pitting thats noticable now, all the oxidation has gone :p

Top Bottom