raising suspension

bratwurst_boy

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
daniel
Drive
98 legnum type s, jzza70 supra
hey guys, well i'm getting sick of my front bumper scrapping all the time, it has now cracked on either side of the tow hook cover with one side cracked right through and hanging even lower. (will post a pic soon) so i'm after stock ride height suspension or higher (3-4 inches over stock) if possible as me and my girl are wanting to do a bit of off road traveling with a camper trailer. any suggestions on after market stuff or would it have to be custom???

cheers
dan

Sydo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
Me Crazy
I've been wondering the same thing lately, but haven't investigated it any further. Good luck.

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
96 S2 RZ Supra with 500whp
Is it possible to get gas suspension that can be raised and lowered from within the cabin? Kinda like GTA pimp style? That would be cool (and no doubt illegal)

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Tein Super flex wagons will give you some +ve adjustment (+7 front, +30 rear) but apart from that i'd imagine it would be custom. Biggest problem you'll have is the stroke of the shock absorbers - they'll either need to be custom, OR your spring rates will have to be stiff as all helll to keep them at the top of their stroke.

G

Unregistered
3-4 inches ABOVE stock?
jesus h christ on a tricycle.. that thing would only need a slight breeze to topple over. :p

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Is it possible to get gas suspension that can be raised and lowered from within the cabin? Kinda like GTA pimp style? That would be cool (and no doubt illegal)
Hydraulic suspension is illegal in every state AFAIK for road-going vehicles, but some states do allow air-bag suspension, which will give you the end result just without the fast 'popping' action. Such setups aren't cheap, but if you have a really low car it's sometimes the only option for getting your car through carparks and up steep driveways.

You could always stick your VR4 on a super-lift-kit...

bratwurst_boy

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
daniel
Drive
thanks guys, i had a look at my suspension while i was taking off the front bumper and it looks like they could be adjustable. they have 7 grooves under the bottom spring seat (i'll have to take a pic when i put the bumper back on) the front is set at the highest groove while the back is on the 2nd highest groove.

would this mean if i lowered the spring seat, making the spring have a longer travel or less compression, would it raise the car????

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
No, it will lower the car, as it will sit the spring closer to the knuckle, ie.

|
|_
|
|o

will be lower than

|_
|
|
|o

The spring wouldn't be as compressed, and may give a slightly more forgiving ride, BUT the stroke of the shock would be the same.

bratwurst_boy

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
daniel
Drive
thanks lee, well that kind of sucks i was hoping that it would do the opposite and save me some money, oh well looks like another thing i'll have to save up for, thanks guys for all your help.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
If you end up replacing your suspension to go higher, make sure you sell your old adjustable set on here to make some of your money back as most people with stock setups want to go lower!

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
I've got the stock springs and dampers that I just replaced with TEIN Super Wagons. Might be interested in selling them, if you're interested in buying them.

Top Bottom