Used legnum prices in oz... way too high?

SU8TLE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ryan
Drive
VY SS M6
i often look at prices of legnums on carsales.com.au as with a kid on the way either i sell my VY SS M6 or the mrs sells her 08' es lancer and we get a wagon.

the prices people are asking for legnums on car sales are crazy. $16K+ for a 1998 VR4? cant you import your own for WAY cheaper than that? i think i even saw a trigger mauve 2001 type-s for $21K the other day! nice car, but not worth over $20K! i should note some of these cars have been on there a while (ie, not selling)

the people the sell them on this forum seem to price them right, but others cant seem to figure out you cant import, then sell straight away and make a $5K+ profit.

im still interested in a white 99'/00' Type S but i wont be paying $17K+ for one. what do you guys think is a fair price for what i just said?

anywho, back on topic...
what do you all think? fair pricing? or just dreamers? (in oz)

OVR444

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brett
Drive
2004 Mirage
It's the same old story; you sell your car and you want the highest price for it. You would probably find most sellers on carsales will drop their price if you offer them cash.

It is cheaper to import but there is all the uncertainty of getting the car registered and complied; also the shipping time wait. I think a lot of people just want to buy a car and take it home, which means they get stung for the higher price.

It's always been the case that cars are a more realistic price on forums such as this one as we all own one and understand their value and have seen other examples to base the price from versus someone who does not know what they own and randomly picks a price. i.e. "yea about 20K will do"

Perhaps have a chat to our forum sponsors i'm sure they will be able to point you in the right direction of a bargain. I have seen Chef and Carmen(QLD) do some pretty great prices for quality cars.

http://www.carmenimports.com/

OR

http://www.ironchefimports.com/site/

Great places to start!

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Cars you see advertised on this site are generally MORE than just a VR4, hence the higher price... Properly modded and maintained vehicles are few and far between and using the info from this site the owners here have kept them up to scratch.

Carsales has some OK ones, but if you want cheap one you'll need to speak to an importer.

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
im still interested in a white 99'/00' Type S but i wont be paying $17K+ for one. what do you guys think is a fair price for what i just said?

$17k for a 99/00 Type S is a little vague. Depends on what options, transmission, klm's, condition etc. Yes $17k is a lot for a Leggie but if you throw in Recaro int, sunroof, low k's rare color etc you have more than just a Legnum.

SU8TLE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ryan
Drive
VY SS M6
$17k for a 99/00 Type S is a little vague. Depends on what options, transmission, klm's, condition etc. Yes $17k is a lot for a Leggie but if you throw in Recaro int, sunroof, low k's rare color etc you have more than just a Legnum.

id be happy with white (prefered)/black facelift type-s. auto trans, basic options. white leather would be nice, but meh. itd be a family car.

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
1999 White Legnum Type S Cold Spec with Recaros+Sunroof
Probably get something like that imported for $12-13000 maybe less. I paid 10k for white, auto ,sunroof, recaros, exhaust, lowered but it did have 100k kms

Kristian

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kristian
Drive
Changes daily
I actually don't have a problem with people making a profit from cars they import themselves - if you go through the 3-month wait to import the car, you have every right to sell the car for more given that the buyer will be standing in front of the car checking it, and can drive it away the same day if they want to.

Having said that, Ryan I have a nice white grade 4 update Type S that I bought last weekend that will probably be perfect for you, shoot me an email and I'll send you the pics.

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
tell them they're dreaming.

castle_wideweb__430x293.jpg

quincy777

Crunching Gears
First Name
Cam
Drive
Legnum VR4
As others have said, auto cheaper then manual, rust is always cheap and there are lots of legnums with rust. You get what you pay for, I waited 2 years before I found a 01 black manual in excellent condition, it cost me 18k landed and complied without using a broker for fees, others have bought one for 5 grand, depends what your happy with.

jet150

Anyone thirsty?
Premium Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
VR4
I got my 20001 black with tan leather and 18'' work rims for $12k delivered. I went through Ben Lippa at J-Spec and waited no more than 2 months.

Mortz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Luke M
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
I find most of the Series 1 Leggies and Galants advertised at high-ish prices usually have a fair few mods on them though. I'm guessing the owners are trying to make back a bit of the money they have spent modding the car.

knickers

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nic
Drive
'99 EC5A VR-4 Type V
I actually don't have a problem with people making a profit from cars they import themselves - if you go through the 3-month wait to import the car, you have every right to sell the car for more given that the buyer will be standing in front of the car checking it, and can drive it away the same day if they want to.

Having said that, Ryan I have a nice white grade 4 update Type S that I bought last weekend that will probably be perfect for you, shoot me an email and I'll send you the pics.

Good honest answer, you're spot on.

People sometimes will take less because they're not losing any money, but they certainly are justified in asking for more than an import, and no one should go round low balling people and excusing it with "cash". If you're asking them to drop their price by more than 15% you're wasting their time on most occasions.

mbilal

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bilal
Drive
Galant VR4 99 Type V
You are right about the prices.
Typically and great condition VR4 that you are looking for can be on the road for between 8K and 18K, depends on exactly what you are after.
I know this because i have been chasing a manual Galant for an entire year.

I am a very fussy buyer and wanted an example that was very hard to find, (pretty much all the options ticked). Everyone said, give it a year or two to find and expect spending around 20K for what you want. So eventually I settled for something I was happy with.

Found a very clean black example in Melbourne and the owner wanted 16K + ORC. I told him that I can import the same car for 12-13K, but of course after searching, waiting, finding for 2-3 months you get a cheaper car. He said that is true but needed to add his margin on top, otherwise whats the point of importing, compliancing, getting it on the road going to cost if the owners are not to make money on it.
Hence the rule:

Importing yourself = Cheapest + sometimes fussy looking around, arranging your people and paperwork + Too much waiting.

Importing through a broker = get to deal with someone with lots of experience and knowledge +same as above + broker costs.

Buying from importer (caryard) = most expensive + no waiting + get to test drive + warranty, etc ORC paid.

Buying from an previous owner = price negotiable + God knows what the car has been through, (why are they selling it ? ) unless they are a collector and look after their car more than themselves + can be a lemon or a seriously excellent example.

So here are some ways that you can choose from.
Goodluck

Bilal

G

Unregistered
These are awesome cars that were quite highly priced when new in Japan. I think if we had actually received them here, a fully optioned model would have set us back about $70,000 allowing for tariffs etc.

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
Agree.

The local model equivalent is something like the Liberty GT or Mazda6 MPS, both of which were priced around the $60k mark here.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
In NZ$ the Galant Type S Autos were sold for $63k (tan leather interior) and the Galant Type V manuals were about the same price, but these had Recaro's.

A Legnum would have been around $1500 to $2000 more. I do not know how much the options are unfortunately :(

G

Unregistered
The new price in Japan of a year 2000 Type S automatic Legnum was ¥3,099,000 - that's without any options. The equivalent Galant was ¥2,981,000.

SU8TLE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ryan
Drive
VY SS M6
The new price in Japan of a year 2000 Type S automatic Legnum was ¥3,099,000 - that's without any options.

thats around $38K-$39K AUS, bit far off $70K someone said before.

Top Bottom