snapped cambelt

Robotnik123

Crunching Gears
First Name
Jan
Drive
1999 Legnum VR-4 Type S
What are the symptoms of a snapped cambelt on a VR-4? Car not starting, flapping belt noise?

Also is the 6A13TT an interference engine, so if the belt snaps will the valves and such be bent.

Am asking out of interest - my car does not have a snapped belt.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
IMO.. if our cam belt snaps.. it would throw out an engine trouble light (red engine icon in dash) in any case this happens.. then would shut down the motor immediately..

worst case.. bent valves.. snapped rods and holed pistons.. more worse.. rods through the block..

symptons.. not so sure.. never happened to me and i dont expect to :)

G

Unregistered
snaped belt, car wont start, but it will crank,
there wont be a flapping belt,

its an interfearance motor, you will bend all valves, dent the pistions, wreck the guids, possible damage the cams/rods depending on how fast your going,

G

Unregistered
Ummmm BIG BOOM well no noise just a slight tinging noise (as the valves meet piston) and no power with out your cam belt your valves wont open at all and no fuel will get into or exhaust out of the cylinders. You will most likley get a back fire sensation. If you are worried about the cam belt snapping get it replaced asap you could get a nasty repair bill to the tune of 5-6k maybe more!! I dont think that the engine will be a non interferance motor not many are now.

Robotnik123

Crunching Gears
First Name
Jan
Drive
1999 Legnum VR-4 Type S
Yeah had my cambelt done a couple of years ago. It should be good for a fair while yet, but was just wondering what would happen.

By the way, has anyone ever heard of a long life belt, which costs a bit more. but supposedly lasts for like 150K, rather than the usual 100K?

G

Unregistered
Yeah I think it is made out of kevlar or some sort of material like that.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Yeah had my cambelt done a couple of years ago. It should be good for a fair while yet, but was just wondering what would happen.

By the way, has anyone ever heard of a long life belt, which costs a bit more. but supposedly lasts for like 150K, rather than the usual 100K?

even if the belts were long life.. i'd still get it done every 100k.. :D just to be safe..

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
me too - 100k kms.. the extra strength would be more of an insurance for me haha :D

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
A member on here has already gone through this - he even posted pics of the damage and repair. Search is your friend ;)

xtech

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Ryan
Drive
Legnum
Thread Revival.. ...

my belt broke while I was driving about 3 weeks ago. Got a used replacement belt for free from a friend to test if the motor was damaged cause everyone i spoke to said it would be....well it's back on the road no problems with the motor at all.

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
I'd be concerned as to what caused the belt to break in the first place considering how strong they are...

Either way, I'd be getting a new belt, idlers and tensioner (basically all the major service items, if not done already) asap.

xtech

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Ryan
Drive
Legnum
Put a very very small tear into it. Silly me thought it would still work like that

pixelplay

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bruce
Drive
Mitsubishi Legnum VR4, Subaru B4 Legacy RS30
Seems a bit pointless really since as at 100k you should be doing the 100k service anyway. It seems to me that if you avoid doing the maintenance you just end up with worse issues and most of them get expensive.

Its better I think to do the belt a little before its time along with the oil changes and any other recommended servicing. Just my two cents worth.

Blackbird

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2001 ADM Evo 6.5 Makinen Edition,
2001 Legnum VR-4 Type S Written off,
2000 Legnum VR-4 Type S Manual with 23,489km!!
You're a very lucky person to get away with a snapped belt.
I do mine every 80,000k's.. I've pulled a motor down after it's belt broke,A CB Lancer GSR with a 4G61 (I think) motor.

It's turned into a pile 'o crap very quickly. Piston to valve interfaces rarely end well.
Steve

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Toyota Supra RZ - The Project
Holden Commodore SS VF Series 2 - The Daily
My mum's car had a similar near death experience, half the belt snapped but it maintained its integrity/ability to hold timing with the other half.

Seemed to have gone on startup and then all you could hear was the snapped half flapping around. Further inspection revealed what had happened, very lucky.

Frenche

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
1998 Legnum VR-4
1988 Mazda MX-6 Turbo
1986 Alfa Romeo GTV-6
I wasn't so lucky, had the belt tensioner in the GTV6 fail 1 week before it was going to be replaced, end result was the belt skipped 2 teeth and the inlet valve on number 2 met the piston just enough to bend it. If you think Mitsu parts are expensive, try finding 1980's Alfa parts....

Top Bottom