Ok, so who wants forged pistons and high quality rods

Please select 1 of 2 options.Realise its ~$2400 for both but a very solid base to produce power!!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Ask and thou shalt receive.
Ok so seeing you are all slack b*stards, i've done all the hard work for you;)

In short, i've spoken to Brad and Spool Imports and he has given me solid pricing on the rods and tentative on the pistons.

ATM, it's in the formative stages. By that i mean, I am about to send him a rod and piston to get accurate measurements.

So to start a production run there needs to be a MINIMUM of 6 sets of rods &/or pistons, so 36 of each. This is not negotiable.

There will be no run unless we can pay for all 6 sets. Each set of rods will be $800 which includes ARP 2000 bolts.

Piston will be from CP and need a minimum of 6 sets. Tentative pricing which won't be firm until they receive the piston dimensions but ~$1590 includes rings, pins etc. That may go up or done a little depending.

I am yet to confirm if they'll make half millimetre sizes for those that no longer have OEM bores. Wait out on that one.

For those that don't know SPOOL, Brad has been in the import scence for many years, at least 9 that i know. I bought the gearbox that's in my Sil80 from him that long ago and the rods/piston combo for my RB26/30GTR late last year. Its very high quality stuff. Before you ask, no i'm not getting anything for doing this, just the love from you guys cause i've provided the vehicle for your modification dreams:oops:

His rods are in cars producing up to now 1400hp and there are now lots of engines in the 600-800 range....hopefully my GTR included;)

Here's his website for those that want to have a look around and see that this is no overnight site. You will see the huge number of engines he supports.
http://www.spoolimports.com/content/ABOUTSPOOLCONRODS.asp

MODS, is there anyway to have a button to register either rods only or rods and pistons so i can gauge real interest. Now unless you have the money don't vote. I don't want to hear things like, i will in 8 months time. I want to know who is committed in the next month for a production run.

Unless there starts to be a number of people regularly modding the 6A13 then none of this will happen.

So, its over to you guys, who's willing to step up and have the most powerful 6A13TT in Australia??

sart0ri

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Adam
Drive
2000 VR-4 Galant
I am in for the lot. I am trying to do a track day each month so its only a matter of time until it explodes:)

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
I'm interested, but can't commit at the moment..

when is the deadline?

is this just a 1 off thing or can we eventually order from him in the future?

+ rep to you as well for going out of your way.. :)

gorgath

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Irwin
Drive
1997 Legnum RED!!!
Question: is't advisable to go with Forged Piston only and use the OEM Rods?

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Question: is't advisable to go with Forged Piston only and use the OEM Rods?

Irwin. No, for a number of reasons.
1. If you've gone to the effort of taking the engine apart, you almost aways replace both the rods and pistons. This is par-for-course in the search for more power.
2. The rods are the weak link in this engine. At the very least i'd replace the rods in any decent power buildup. The OEM pistons aren't bad, but there are better items available.
3. Yes in most cases the forged piston is slightly lighter than OEM but the piston costs more than the rod. Changing to an AM piston while keeping the standard rod isn't really done.
4. Remember, the idea is to make the pistons and rods stronger in an effort to handle more power and sometimes rpm. The load on them increases so you want stronger items in there.
5. Lastly, the rods and pistons wont give you any performance gain at all, it will provided you with the confidence that increasing the power well beyond factory levels can be done with ease:)

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
**Update**

Yep already:) Spoke to Brad and he informs me it will be a 10 week turnaround for the rods and most probably pistons as well from time of order. SO, the poll end date stands as this will give enough time to get the rod & piston to them for measurement.

Just so you know, the rods are good for 1000hp, so i think for $800 for the rods alone is an awesome investment alone, that will provide some serious headroom for power(y)

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
I'm interested, but can't commit at the moment..

when is the deadline?

is this just a 1 off thing or can we eventually order from him in the future?

+ rep to you as well for going out of your way.. :)

Kristian,

I set the deadline for 40 days from from first post.

I hope that this is the vehicle that provides the impetus to get people that were considering a power build-up, but were concerned about the strength of the factory parts.

The VR4 is becoming more common and as such the natural progression is to make it go faster. Without high quality rods and pistons, power will stagnate around the 230-250 mark. I certainly wouldn't be happy with the engine making that power with the OEM bits. And as more guys start to track the thing then this will provide headroom for those minor detonation moments when there's a slight fuel starvation or when very hot it's starts to get a little lean etc.

So yes i hope this becomes the norm and these bits are available from him on a regular basis.

As my first post states, without an order for either 6 sets of rods or 6 sets of pistons- hopefully both- then this will go nowhere.

scientist

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Edmund Robinson
Drive
1989 Galant VR4
You will get a performance gain...the forged pistons and rods weigh less than the standard Cast parts. the weight reduction makes the engine more responsive as you have less rotating weight

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
ok, at the moment, I'm voting for just rods..

but hopefully there'll be enough for both..

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
You will get a performance gain...the forged pistons and rods weigh less than the standard Cast parts. the weight reduction makes the engine more responsive as you have less rotating weight

Changing the rods and pistons won't increase your hp. Hopefully they weigh less and yes with a lighter rotating assembly response should be better, but as far as performance gain, you are splitting hairs here.

The point i was making for Irwin was, what i said, they wont make any extra hp

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
im not in the position to purchase, but these rods/pistons combined with some crank work/bearings/PnP, would it rev safetly to 8500 or 9k?

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
im not in the position to purchase, but these rods/pistons combined with some crank work/bearings/PnP, would it rev safetly to 8500 or 9k?

You can correct me here Simon, but I think what restricts the 6a13 is the breathing ability of the small turbos and and cam timing which can be solved by using bigger turbos and adjustable cam gears. IMO the rest of the engine is well designed and would be more than capable of such a rev limit.:D

BTW Simon I've voted both seeing I'll be making a start on my 6a13 build up soon. I'd be stupid to miss out on this! So come on people, we need more rod/piston people.

G

Unregistered
Simon is this open to people outside of Oz. Will they post to the UK or any other country

Top Bottom