Ok, so who wants forged pistons and high quality rods

Please select 1 of 2 options.Realise its ~$2400 for both but a very solid base to produce power!!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
G

Unregistered
rods and slugs

hy guys, late to the forum but i have a spare 6a13tt pulled down grabbin ideas for a stronger build.
Q, what design of rods will these be, a i or h beam design rod.
The dimensions of these rods are exact to a GTO off the shelf item. The big end thickness was all of .5mm by memory thicker.
I would be interested in a set as it will certainly enhance the strength of this part of the motor, upon design of these rods, will there be a need for relief in the bottom of the bores for the rods rotation. (required for most larger rod builds).
All this info would assist in my decision for purchasing these units.
Cheers
CANABL

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Hi Adam,
Go to the first page of the thread for the link to visit SPOOLS website, all the rod info is there.

Which GTO, mitsubishi or Holden?

Only thing you'll need to do is check the sizes of both small and big end as Brad will make these slightly smaller as it's easier to make them larger than smaller.

G

Unregistered
the 6g72 3000gt mitsubishi motor.
I am going to compare the rods i have with the specs i found online at spool. The gudgeon of the pistons will be larger but most of the Mitsubishi gudgeons are press fit anyhow, i run floating pins with plugs in my motors.
the good thing about this motor design is the length of stroke compared to a 4 cyl, the rod thickness is exact the same as the 1.8 gsr motor that i have built many of, the stock gsr motor can run 30pnds all day so long as the motor is well balanced and vital flow of fluids is kept.
How many of the rods and piston sets are so far ordered?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
hey Simon, if I must've mis-read the first post about the rods & pistons..

if the rods & pistons are around $1500 +/- $200 I might go for both..

but still am definitely in for the rods at this stage..

Donkay

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Don
Drive
Mitsubishi RVR
Simon,

To be honest, I don't think this is looking too good at this stage...

I think this is one group buy that will just have to pass:cry:

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
hey Simon, if I must've mis-read the first post about the rods & pistons..

if the rods & pistons are around $1500 +/- $200 I might go for both..

but still am definitely in for the rods at this stage..

Kristian, the rods are $800 the pistons are $1590, hence statement ~2400 for both!

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
the 6g72 3000gt mitsubishi motor.
I am going to compare the rods i have with the specs i found online at spool. The gudgeon of the pistons will be larger but most of the Mitsubishi gudgeons are press fit anyhow, i run floating pins with plugs in my motors.
the good thing about this motor design is the length of stroke compared to a 4 cyl, the rod thickness is exact the same as the 1.8 gsr motor that i have built many of, the stock gsr motor can run 30pnds all day so long as the motor is well balanced and vital flow of fluids is kept.
How many of the rods and piston sets are so far ordered?

I looked at the 6g72 rod about mid ay through last year as well, but it's too wide and slightly too tall, hence this group buy.

7 ordered both, 4 rods only. 3 have pulled out & as Don said this looks like it will die a natural death.:sad:
We still have until next saturday, I'm chasing postage for one of the guys from Poland.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Ive now got enough replies to inform everyone this group buy has failed. 3 positive replies out of 11 voted.

I guess you guys just aren't ready. Oh well, i tried.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
so this thing ain't going ahead? :(

this is a very sad day :(

can we try again in 6 months time?

G

Unregistered
I could try and drum up interest in the UK then as well if I have some spare money by then as well

Donkay

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Don
Drive
Mitsubishi RVR
well... if this is the case (as slightly and unfortunately expected) I'll bail a couple of days before the final date! (extra holiday spending money)

Otherwise, it's very saddening to see soo much effort from Simon, Kudo's to you mate, and as Christian suggested, perhaps few months time?

sad_panda_2.jpg

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
I'm hoping that alot more members here will be ready in 6 or so months time.. specially the ones who have upgraded their turbos..

btw Simon.. since this GB isn't going ahead.. is SPOOL keeping all the conrod and piston measurements for possible future GB..

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
good on you for trying anyway Simon, it is a pity that there isn't enough interested

jet150

Anyone thirsty?
Premium Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
VR4
I think there is plenty of interest but not everyone can come up with $2500 to splash on their car in a couple of months.

Im sure if another group buy for rods and pistons comes along 6 months down the track more people will buy in.

Great effort Simon even though it didn't go ahead(y)(y)

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
I normally could, and I would have jumped straight in but I bought a house in November.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
. is SPOOL keeping all the conrod and piston measurements for possible future GB..

Keeping them? They were never measured to begin with. Doing that costs money, people don't do that for free. Seeing the GB failed, nothing has been done drawn copied etc, so for it to happen in the future, the process will need go happen again.
Plus im out of pocket for sending them over and having them come back with no result. If it had gone ahead, SPOOL would have absorbed that cost. That's fine, i'll wear that.

So no, i need them back to build my engine. They are currently on their way back from oversea's.

I may be prepared to do the GB again, but right now, i have zero interest in it

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Wow Simon, REALLY sorry to see this result, that's tremendously disappointing :( Good on you for trying your utmost to make this happen. I reckon everyone should chip in $10 for your shipping and efforts! Send me your Paypal and I'll be the first to donate :)

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
Wow Simon, REALLY sorry to see this result, that's tremendously disappointing :( Good on you for trying your utmost to make this happen. I reckon everyone should chip in $10 for your shipping and efforts! Send me your Paypal and I'll be the first to donate :)

was gonna suggest this to.. but was gonna point fingers at the people who backed down :D

but hey I don't mind giving him $$ for his super efforts...

*EDIT*

if mods & admin decide that we should pay Simon back for the effort that he did.. just hit me a pm, I'll send my contribution..

Top Bottom