ersanalamin

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ersan Al Amin
Drive
Year 2000 EA5A => FL EC5A
Hi Adam, the regrind cam already installed in my car. but the HLA became noisy, is that normal? really annoying. no HLA noise with stock cam before, so i think my HLA doing its job fine. Any idea how to reduce lifter noise?

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
Premium Member
First Name
Ed
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Manual, Ford Territory family runabout, BMW K1300R.
Hi Adam, the regrind cam already installed in my car. but the HLA became noisy, is that normal? really annoying. no HLA noise with stock cam before, so i think my HLA doing its job fine. Any idea how to reduce lifter noise?
Do you have the upgraded lash adjusters in your car?

ersanalamin

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ersan Al Amin
Drive
Do you have the upgraded lash adjusters in your car?

Nope they just stock ones. the noise reduce a bit now but still ticking. getting harder as the rpm increase. I will check again with a set of my spare HLA. Been told that solid lifter would be the answer but that would be another $1000 AUD :D. perhaps we can arrange a group buy?

lateshow

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Lauri
Drive
TD04 Galant (Type-V)
The noise can be reduced by putting small shims under lifters. So the noise is quite normal. It's a race car.

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
Have you cleaned out your lifters?
If not do that. If it still ticks after that you can place 0.5mm shims under each lifter.
And if it still ticks after that then your lifters are buggered.
And no you cannot use solid lifters without changing the camshafts to a solid lifter grind.

ersanalamin

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ersan Al Amin
Drive
Have you cleaned out your lifters?
If not do that. If it still ticks after that you can place 0.5mm shims under each lifter.
And if it still ticks after that then your lifters are buggered.
And no you cannot use solid lifters without changing the camshafts to a solid lifter grind.

Yes adam, i will clean and use my spare HLA first. If its still ticking and the shim will be on. Why we can not use solid HLA with the regrind cam?

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
Premium Member
First Name
Ed
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Manual, Ford Territory family runabout, BMW K1300R.
Yes adam, i will clean and use my spare HLA first. If its still ticking and the shim will be on. Why we can not use solid HLA with the regrind cam?
Just buy a set of new lifters mate. They're relatively cheap. Cleaning old lifters can be a waste of time. Get a set of new ones with the larger oil hole.

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
Hydraulic profiles dont work on solid lifters and solid profiles wont work on hydraulic lifters. Like I said if yiu want to run solid lifters you need a solid lifter grind on the camshafts.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
If you didn't check the clearances before installing the cams then I'd suggest that is the issue, not the lifters. I had to shim about 6 valves on my regrind ( not @6A13TT TYPE S regrind, the opposition;)).
So you can now decide if you want to replace the lifters with new items as you'll be removing them to fit the shims.
I'd shim ALL of them, no point measuring them now. Shims are cheap.

ersanalamin

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ersan Al Amin
Drive
If you didn't check the clearances before installing the cams then I'd suggest that is the issue, not the lifters. I had to shim about 6 valves on my regrind ( not @6A13TT TYPE S regrind, the opposition;)).
So you can now decide if you want to replace the lifters with new items as you'll be removing them to fit the shims.
I'd shim ALL of them, no point measuring them now. Shims are cheap.

so It is 0,5 mm thick shim? any idea where to get them? or you had them made custom?

ersanalamin

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ersan Al Amin
Drive
Just buy a set of new lifters mate. They're relatively cheap. Cleaning old lifters can be a waste of time. Get a set of new ones with the larger oil hole.

Yep ed, leak down tester is what we need, MD998440, seems very expensive. cheaper to buy HLA a new set :D

ersanalamin

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ersan Al Amin
Drive
Just 0.5mm machine washers will be fine

Yes adam, the true is I need your confirmation that if my HLA in very good condition so there will be no ticking noise due to 262 regrind cam installation. If there is some noise the HLA must be not in good condition and the shim will help to clear the noise. is that correct?

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
2006 Suzuki Swift Sport 5 sp man
I have the same cam, lifters were quiet before install, first installed cam without shims, was noisy. Adam suggested shims so did that and still noisy. Even tried thicker oil to no prevail. Strange thing is it's only one or two that are making noise. Im sorta over it. Hopefully figure it out when I build new motor and can have all clearances checked.

Reactions: Gav

ersanalamin

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ersan Al Amin
Drive
I have the same cam, lifters were quiet before install, first installed cam without shims, was noisy. Adam suggested shims so did that and still noisy. Even tried thicker oil to no prevail. Strange thing is it's only one or two that are making noise. Im sorta over it. Hopefully figure it out when I build new motor and can have all clearances checked.

Yea daniel, i am trying to clean my spare HLA, use ultrasonic cleaner if i have to, when 1000 km passed after OS. i will put it without shim

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
My 2c mine are also nosiey, new lifters and shims

I actually expected the noise in my case was the shims as they've been there from day 1.

ersanalamin

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ersan Al Amin
Drive
My 2c mine are also nosiey, new lifters and shims

I actually expected the noise in my case was the shims as they've been there from day 1.

so the shim cause the noise? hmm. I clean my spare HLA out last night. bleed them all with DCS and diesel fuel and put it in ultrasonic cleaner afterward many times until it got too hot to pick with bare finger. now i let HLA sunk in 3 bottle of DCS for a week and i will repeat the process again next week. Hope they still work fine.

Last time i clean the HLA many many years ago, back in 2004. its my E54A HLA. got it from a friend who bought a new a set because he thought his on board HLA already done. i cleaned them up with DCS, sunk them for a week. and its works again like new.

Top Bottom