Anyone know this Legnums history?

Cocko

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ian
Drive
PFL Legnum
I have tentatively locked in to pick up a Leggy this coming Friday after viewing and driving yesterday.

When I pulled up I was going to keep driving as cosmetically it was shit. Keyed to hell and dented in areas. But as the owner was standing out front I felt obliged to at least stop. Went for a drive and drove real nice, although there was a light vibration that I will put down to new tyres not being balanced (no weights, the guy had put them on at work).

Had a courtesy look around the car when the guy opened the bonnet and all I could see was love and money being spent in the past (see pics). After looking around and under i just couldn't walk away. The current owner bought it from a friend who got too deep with, ahem, recreational activities and had to clear a debt. So the car was sold. Anyway, car is located on the Gold Coast. Cheers in advance for any help.

20180331_101522.jpg
20180331_101933.jpg
20180331_100756.jpg

Cocko

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ian
Drive
PFL Legnum
Forgot to mention. It's a manual.
Also it had a big arse OZVR4.COM sticker in the engine bay on drivers side.
From what I could see, it had....
FMIC, BOV vented to air (why!!!!!), Brembos with TME all over them, slotted rotors, Enkeis, obviously intake plumbing, exhaust from dumps all the way (guessing 3 inch after collector), alloy radiator (huge core) and definitely a lot shorter through on the gearshifter. Clutch was pretty "bitey", so doubt that its OEM.

Relmz

Hesitantly Boosting
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
2001 Legnum Type S
Ah ok, sorry I don't know then.

I met a guy with a Leggy at the 2016 tune who lived on the Goldy and had several stories about his 'recreational activities', but I think his was an auto and was pretty stock.

The TME stickers are Transformance Mechanical Engineering. Steve from TME is active on the forum and comes up for tune days every now and then, so it's likely been through his hands previously.

With the OZVR4 sticker, someone else here is bound to know more about it though.

Cocko

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ian
Drive
PFL Legnum
I was to talking to Cameron (on here) since I saw the car and the guy may have picked up the Brembos and rotors from Steve when he parted out a VR4 he had.
But, you're right, someone will know. I looked through all the sale posts and no luck there...

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
I met a guy with a Leggy at the 2016 tune who lived on the Goldy and had several stories about his 'recreational activities', but I think his was an auto and was pretty stock.

I think I know who you mean... But it could easily be literally anyone else on the GC.

Does this one have a straight through/sawn off exhaust?

Relmz

Hesitantly Boosting
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
2001 Legnum Type S
@pretzil Yeah, you'd know - you and I spent a while listening to his stories while waiting to get on the dyno. Was the first person I thought of when he mentioned Legnum, Gold Coast and "activities".

Cocko

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ian
Drive
PFL Legnum
Ha ha ha! The exhaust is pretty loud, louder then Camerons I think but that may be because it is so close to the ground also (resonating) although it is a complete system. Having said that it likely is a straight through system, around 3 inch diameter.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
not sure who's it is,

i think it also has 3 port in it, so most likely already tuned by TME

Cocko

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ian
Drive
PFL Legnum
I was thinking that TME Steve may have had a crack at this Leggy. I can't confirm 3 port as yet to be truthful.
@Cameron McPherson, I haven't picked it up as yet mate. I was supposed to do so over the weekend but old mate who is buying mine has a very pain in the bum finance company who is stuffing around and to top it off my timing belt let go last Tuesday as well. So, hope this weekend or earlier. Timing kit for mine should be here Tuesday, so hopefully all done Tuesday arvo and finance is paid in to my account and everyone can be happy!

Cameron McPherson

#Skids4Jesus
Lifetime Member
First Name
Cameron
Drive
1997 White Legnum VR4
2010 50cc Scooter - Daily
It's hard to tell from the pics but I think I can see the 3 port just in front of the throttle body, so it likely has had a fiddle from Steve at some point. Hope the RVR gets sorted soon so you can begin that sweet VR4 life.

Cocko

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ian
Drive
PFL Legnum
You're right mate. I see it now. Is it odd that the boost pressure was set at stock though? If I went through that hassle I would be going for a bit more....

Cocko

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ian
Drive
PFL Legnum
Copy that mate, well 1/2 a bar anyway. No in cabin boost controller that I could locate. First stop will be checking out that 3 port and seeing what's going on and an EBC if needed.
Would explain the whistle if there is no controller linked up hey.

Cocko

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ian
Drive
PFL Legnum
I expect to find some "WTF" moments with this car over the next couple of months.... so I am prepared.

Cameron McPherson

#Skids4Jesus
Lifetime Member
First Name
Cameron
Drive
1997 White Legnum VR4
2010 50cc Scooter - Daily
Yeah very odd. With the 3 ports the boost is actually controlled by the ecu - so set by Steve when he tunes it.

I honestly couldn't imagine why he'd set it at half a bar. 7psi is stockish and I think wastegate is 6ish psi so I'm thinking the 3port could be unplugged, or there's a boost leak.
3rd option it's been backyard tuned by someone and they did a dodgy job.

Yeah it will be a journey discovering all the quirks of the car - half the fun of a VR4.

Cocko

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ian
Drive
PFL Legnum
Well I noticed a fair whistle going on so I wouldn't be surprised if there was something a bit odd, although it could be just a function of the exhaust. After 7 years with a 4G53T I am used to finding little surprises, ha ha ha.

Top Bottom