Automatic trans & O2 sensor

wosbwm

Crunching Gears
First Name
Wayne
Drive
legnum VR4 Type S, Challenger LS, Magna Wagon, Mercedes E Class, XE Fairmont Wagon S-Pac, Renault Megane
Hi all

Just recently I have been having trouble with my Automatic transmission, It didn't seem to matter if I drove it in manual mode or auto mode if I pushed the car just slightly it didn't like it, then it would give a violent thud and lock itself into 3rd gear. It was also clunking into drive on the odd occasion, when going from reverse to drive, wasn't often thow. I have to say the gearbox is due for a service as well.

I was reading on the forum about the O2 sensor's and the trouble's that the sensor can cause and was wondering what my sensor was like as the car can be heavy on fuel. But that is probably because Nike make shoe's really heavy these days... lol!
Anyways I thought I would have a look at it today. Thank you to Jungle (Simon) for your description of how to remove the sensor, the sensor was rather grotty so I gave it a clean I used 3/4 of a can of Carby cleaner then placed it back in did it all back up and went for a drive it all seemed okay in manual as well as automatic mode then I pushed her a bit and all was good. So far it seems to have solved the issue with the gear box at least until I can get another sensor to replace this one. I have my transmission booked in to get serviced next week.

If anyone is having similar issue's I recommend that it is worth checking this out as it could save you a lot money.

G

Unregistered
At the transmission service get them to check/change your wave spring otherwise you never really know when it's suddenly going to crap itself. Also you shouldn't really spray stuff on the O2 sensor as it can damage it, just wipe the outside clean.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Once you get that oil changed it'll be perfect again :D

Not the wave spring. I should know, I had to pay to get it fixed lol

BigJoshyD

Finding something new to break
Premium Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1998 VR-4 Type S
This is an old thread but just thought I would share some insight in case anyone else stumbles across this in the future after pulling their hair out looking for an answer. I have had the same issue recently, I was finally able to get a code to show and it was popping up with code 22 which is the transmission speed sensors.

Parts to replace them are from Goss and the part numbers are TS114 & TS115.

If you need to drive the car while waiting for the parts if you limp around and shift around the 2000rpm it seems to shift soothly while you get up to speed.

Baba Galant

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
John
Drive
Galant VR4 twin turbo 1997
May be a dumb question but have you checked the plug and sensor? While sheathing a cracked wiring harness I spotted mine covered in a combination of old oil and coolant. Used some electrical contact cleaner and also pulled the sensor out for wipe
Admittedly I've never had any issues with the auto.

BigJoshyD

Finding something new to break
Premium Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1998 VR-4 Type S
No I haven’t looked at yet waiting for the ordered sensors. Will update though when they arrive because this did all start happening after I changed the oil perhaps it got covered during that process?

Top Bottom