Battery Relocation

G

Unregistered
Just wondering if anyone has tried relocating the battery to the boot of a galant or legnum. If so was it difficult, what was needed?

If anyone has done it and has a guide that would be awesome.

cheers

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
I was looking into it, changed my mind.. too much to think about (sealed box, ventilation, gasses and a boom if you spark in rare cases if done wrong..)

G

Unregistered
I think there needs to be more info in that initial writeup ... its a bit of a mix.
I might redo a battery to the boot when I do mine in a few weeks time :)

G

Unregistered
ok that shows me how to run power and amp cables to the boot i know how to do that but more interested in knowing how to move the battery to the boot and what cables, bits and pieces are needed in moving the battery to the boot.

G

Unregistered
I was looking into it, changed my mind.. too much to think about (sealed box, ventilation, gasses and a boom if you spark in rare cases if done wrong..)
was going to go a dry cell to eliminate all those issues

G

Unregistered
whats the diff with dry cell and normal batts?

Murph

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
Legnum/4WD TD Hilux/260Z
gass: The difference is exactly that.....gas! Lead acid batteries release hydrogen when charged. If the regulator in you alternator fails and over charges the battery, then they release a lot of hydrogen. You don't want that happening in a closed space.

So you either need a sealed battery box vented to the outside of the car, or a sealed cell battery.

See the other thread linked above for some new comments I've made regarding safely doing battery in boot setups.

d3ck5

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dexter
Drive
VR4, VR6
thread mine!

is there an updated DIY on this (not the amp in the boot thing).

was wanting to do this mod next to get some weight away from the front and to maybe do an intake of some sort.

will use a dry cell so no box or venting, but was more after grounding points, types of cable to buy / run, where to connect everything, etc.

thanks! :)

G

Unregistered
i will be doing this mod very soon.
using a ve commodore wire kit and engine bay terminals.
and a heavy duty battery box with a vent to outside the car

GMan

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jet
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
i will be doing this mod very soon.
using a ve commodore wire kit and engine bay terminals.
and a heavy duty battery box with a vent to outside the car

Great! Let us know how you go.

jet150

Anyone thirsty?
Premium Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
VR4
My battery is in the boot, not hard at all. Get some battery cable and run a + from the engine bay to the boot under the car. Make sure you tuck it well. there are a few different ways to join the cable to the to the other +'s in the engine bay. Im using a sealed distribution block.

Optima sealed batteries are the best option when relocating as they are fully sealed, don't vent gasses as they are gel filled and can mounted any way you like.

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
Was considering swapping my Optima with another that has the terminals around the other way but I'll go down this route instead.

That spare wheel well is overrated ;-)

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
mine was mounted on the left side of the boot. that way the OEM carpet was kept. easy as.
christians is there too

make sure you use zero gauge and run a circuit breaker (150A i think i used?)

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
im using 250a breaker and works well..

I went to BatteryWorld and they recommended to use a slow blow fuse than a breaker though.. supposedly helps with starting the car..

they also said that if the breaker works.. then why replace it :)

Top Bottom