Clicking sound behind dashboard when lower vent selected

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
Premium Member
First Name
Ed
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Manual, Ford Territory family runabout, BMW K1300R.
My FL Legnum has suddenly started making a clicking noise when the lower air vent is selected (or automatically activated) via the climate control. Everything seems to be working, except when the lower vent is selected at any time the windscreen vent also seems to be open.

I'm assuming the clicking noise is indicative of an actuator that is about to break, or is stuck.

Thoughts?

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Gear with teeth broken. Doesn't quite grab the end limit and keeps slipping. Common

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
Premium Member
First Name
Ed
Drive
Cheers. I'll tear into it when I get time. Old car, old parts, eh.

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
Premium Member
First Name
Ed
Drive
Hmmm. Mine is only one click, and it makes that one click when it selects the lower vent. Posting a video on YouTube.

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
Premium Member
First Name
Ed
Drive
Here we go. Different symptoms to other folks I think.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Yeah you're right. Not the norm. Only when you let it get to face only. And only one click.

Pull it apart have a look ;)

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
Premium Member
First Name
Ed
Drive
Bung relay inside the box possibly?
Nah it's definitely a mechanical sound. I'll nut it out shortly and let everyone know what it was.

Tophler

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Alex
Drive
1999 VR4 FL Legnum w recaro and momo
mine ended up being a black box just behind the head unit. i managed to pull a replacement out of a wrecked legnum

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
Premium Member
First Name
Ed
Drive
Oddly enough my noise stopped. Wonder if something was stuck in there?

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Next job, my new ride has started doing this, clicks for around 20-30 secs or seems like forever? will try moving that gear with the busted teeth.
Mine does the same. It's the motor that drives the hot/cold vent open/close. Only recently started doing it.
It's passenger side centre console about level with the cigarette lighter.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Hey great stuff. Mine also is a bit weird, the clicking will depend on the outside air temp. If I have the temp sent within. Few degrees of the OAT it'll be fine, but change the demanded temp outside that it'll click.

I think mine might be a bit more than a broken gear set as sometimes it'll be fine but other ps not. Regardless, I'll remove the motor and check it out.
Thanks for posting the pictures(y)

brichman

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ben
Drive
98 PFL Galant VR-4 (Roanne Red)
FYI 3rd Gen Magnas with climate control have the same little black box. I'm fairly certain the mounts are the same aswell, but if they aren't you can just pick up the box and nab the gear out of it. Can get them cheap as from wreckers.

Rowie94

Hesitantly Boosting
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
2008 Toyota Aurion ZR6

1998 Mitsubishi Legnum VR4

Yamaha FZ6R
I'm having exactly this same problem right now. Clicks for about a minute when turning the ignition on, and speeds up when the engine starts, before completely stopping. Question is, how do I get the God damn cooling unit out? ? That's where my click is and I can'T figure out how to remove the damn thing.

Top Bottom