Need help with install head unit

cam1018

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Cameron
Drive
Legnum
Hi guys! I've brought a head unit to replace the factory unit. But after taking the factory unit out. I found that there is no speaker wire on the plug that's attached to the factory unit?? Can anyone help me locate the speaker wiring loom and the wiring diagram. Thanks!

montgomery

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Chris
Drive
Mazda Familia GTR
did your original unit work?

There will be speaker wires present , if you are unsure on how to use test lights/multi meters / finding speaker wire tricks , i suggest you hop over to www.caraudioaustralia.com and read some install guides.

cam1018

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Cameron
Drive
Legnum
it works fine before i took it out! I think there is some sort of factory amp in the boot that the head unit connects to control the audio!

cam1018

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Cameron
Drive
Legnum
Hey guys this is what i am talking about! It comes with a 10" sub too.

Attachments

• DSC01491.JPG
    DSC01491.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 123

happymatch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jono
Drive
Maza Astina 323, Merc C Kompressor
oh my god. mate, if you are gonna rip it off and dump it, i am sure there are few people intersted in it

cam1018

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Cameron
Drive
Legnum
Hi guys, Been searching the net for hours, I've got everything I need to know!
The sound system in my car is a premium system upgrade from the factory. Usually found on 1990-2002 built cars as an option. It drives all the speakers and sub with a built in cross over for the front and sub. To replace the factory head unit with an after market unit, there's two options.

Amplifer intergration harness (Metra 70-7003) Or get new speakers for the front and rewire all the speaker wires. I could not be bother with rewiring! so I order the harness form the US. Hopefully this with solve my problem and i will keep you guys up dated.

WagonMafia

Idling at the Lights
First Name
hadi
Drive
1997 Mitsubishi legnum VR4 5 speed manual
Hey Cam
I had the same audio system with the amplifier. But I took mine to a professional installer which installed my aftermarket headunit with the speakers. He just cut the big plug and wired it to the head unit and to the speakers. Sounds nice.

But the problem is it just sometimes the headunit just turns off for no reason and the Speedo turns off with the clock for no reason.
Took it back to Marktek installations where I got it fitted, the guy told me he doesn’t know what’s wrong with it. He blamed the battery and alternator but my mechanic said the battery is a month old and alternator + starter is all good.
Can anyone suggest what might be wrong here. Or how I can fix this.

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
1997 MK Triton GLS [6G74 conversion]
2019 i30 N-Line
what do you mean the speedo turns off?
The whole cluster turns off, or the speedo points to 0?

reason i ask: headunit wiring does have a speedo signal present.

I can provide relevant electrical diagrams if that helps? Or happy to have a look at it, seeing as you're in Adelaide.

WagonMafia

Idling at the Lights
First Name
hadi
Drive
thanks BCX, the Speedo just goes from any speed to 0 sometimes or the head unit just turns off. And a few times the clock has just turned off for no reason. I got it professionally installed but the customer service was 0/10 as when I went back for t he problem they just said they had no idea and told me to go to Garage 7 in lonsdale which they only sell jdm parts.
Yeah I am in Adelaide as well. I would appreciate it if you could have a look at it.

mezje

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Maxim
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Manual
thanks BCX, the Speedo just goes from any speed to 0 sometimes or the head unit just turns off. And a few times the clock has just turned off for no reason. I got it professionally installed but the customer service was 0/10 as when I went back for t he problem they just said they had no idea and told me to go to Garage 7 in lonsdale which they only sell jdm parts.
Yeah I am in Adelaide as well. I would appreciate it if you could have a look at it.

I also had this issue. If you search your exact problem you will find at least 4 threads wit the same issue.

I had this issue too. I didn't do as above - just got lucky by rearranging the wiring.

WagonMafia

Idling at the Lights
First Name
hadi
Drive
I also had this issue. If you search your exact problem you will find at least 4 threads wit the same issue.

I had this issue too. I didn't do as above - just got lucky by rearranging the wiring.
Hey Mezje
My problem is different as my head unit everything works on it but for no reason if i use the car for more than a few minutes, the headunit just turns off for no reason or the speedometer goes to 0 without showing the kilometres. I took the car to my mechanic which checked the battery, starter motor and alternator and said they are all working perfectly. Now i am not sure why the headunit gets power on starting up the car but at some point it loses power.
I took the car to Marktek Installations which installed the headunit for me several times and they kept blaming it on the cars age and not their own work.
However BCX helped me to fix my clock which had a small wiring/solenoid problem.
At this point i have no idea what to do and how to fix it.

djb160

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Dale
Drive
Legnum VR4 "Grimace"
Nissan Leaf
I'd say you'll have to pull out the headunit and double check their wiring for battery power, key power and ground

Baba Galant

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
John
Drive
Galant VR4 twin turbo 1997
Quick question, did they use an adaptor loom that interfaces the head unit to the cars wiring or do the cut and join thing?

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
2019 i30 N-Line
They used adaptor looms. The headunit wiring all checks out.

The clock not working was dry solder joints on the PCB. Reheated them up and working a treat.

The odometer LCD not working is the outstanding issue. We ran out of time to fully go down that rabbit hole... but appears from wiring diagrams that there's a shared fuse between clock/radio/odometer.

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
2019 i30 N-Line
studying the diagrams again... this time not in the dark with phone torch

Interior J/B fuse box:
Fuse 11 powers the Odometer LCD and Clock. (permanent)
Fuse 13 powers the rest of the cluster. (ign 1)
Fuse 4 is power for Headunit (permanent)
Fuse 6 is Switched power for headunit and clock. (acc)

Hadi's legnum had the ds3 audio option with the amplifier at the back. So there are no speaker wires at headunit plug. Installer cut the old cd stacker wire plug and used the wires within that stacker cable to get the speaker signal to near the amplifier, and then cut the speaker wires from the amp plug and joined to the cd stacker wires. Not how I would have done it as the cd stacker wires are quire thin, but does work I suppose.

Clock Diagram:
PXL_20220503_022056457.jpg

Head unit diagram (connector C-64 goes to HU)
PXL_20220503_022031741.jpg

Cluster:
PXL_20220503_022406180.jpg

Last edited:

WagonMafia

Idling at the Lights
First Name
hadi
Drive
Thanks @BCX I will open the headunit once more and check the wiring again during the day time with the diagrams you provided. As after we worked on it that night it was good for a while but now the headunit is starting to turn off every once in a while.
Would you know which colour the wiring for battery power, key power and ground are so that I can check them again when the headunit turns off with the voltmeteri bought.

Top Bottom