VIC New VR4 galant, not starting due to camshaft sensor, need a bit of help

Fearlessmuffins

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Charlie
Drive
1996 Galant Vr4
Hey, recently posted that my galant stopped running due to an electrical issue. Have checked spark, ecu, fuses etc. Have also done a scan which found 8 faults. It cranks and all but doesn't start. I believe the problem to be the camshaft sensor or crank sensor. I have ordered a replacement cam sensor as I have read here that it is a common problem. Although I'm just asking if there are two cam sensors or only one? As I have ordered a new galant one off ebay but not sure if I will need a second. Hoping the camshaft sensor fixes my problems with the car. Also would be great if anyone has any knowledge replacing these sensors as I am unsure how to get to the camshaft sensor. Also wondering if a cam sensor from a verada or magna may work too. Thanks in advance 👍

Fearlessmuffins

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Charlie
Drive
1996 Galant Vr4
There is only once cam sensor. Have you verified its not a Bad IFS sensor? you can make a jumper wire to by pass it to check.
Yes have verified that the IFS was getting power and working. Thanks for the reply, hopefully my cam sensor comes soon so though I can replace it. Hoping this is the only problem that needs fixing 🙏

mezje

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Maxim
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Manual
Read my build thread and diagnose the sensors. Ideally with an oscilloscope but can be done easily with a cheap LED.

Doing the cam sensor on car is a bit of a pain. Remove the plastic timing cover, I unbolt the PS line at that point to get some more room. Then it's a 12mm securing it and 2x 10mms for the sensor itself.

Fearlessmuffins

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Charlie
Drive
1996 Galant Vr4
Read my build thread and diagnose the sensors. Ideally with an oscilloscope but can be done easily with a cheap LED.

Doing the cam sensor on car is a bit of a pain. Remove the plastic timing cover, I unbolt the PS line at that point to get some more room. Then it's a 12mm securing it and 2x 10mms for the sensor itself.
Have replaced the cam sensor, and still no start :( there is no power to spark plugs but there is power to injectors... very unsure what the problem is now

mezje

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Maxim
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Manual
Have replaced the cam sensor, and still no start :( there is no power to spark plugs but there is power to injectors... very unsure what the problem is now.
It is starting to sound a lot like my issue. Check the pulse signal wire on the ignition coils. It's possible your ECU is fried. Again, read my build thread.

Fearlessmuffins

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Charlie
Drive
1996 Galant Vr4
It is starting to sound a lot like my issue. Check the pulse signal wire on the ignition coils. It's possible your ECU is fried. Again, read my build thread.
The pulse signal was checked and wasn't getting pulse when the auto electrician checked it, and the ecu has been tested too, I've used two ecus now to see if it is an ecu problem but still only cranks... I am thinking of towing it to an auto electrician shop at this point, as I don't have the best knowledge on wirings and believe that could be the problem. But that may cost a lot so I don't know. Thankyou Mezje for the knowledge, been helpful in diagnosing the issues 👍 means a lot. I'll check your build thread and see if that helps too

mezje

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Maxim
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Manual
You could have just fried both ECUs. You can remove the casing and check the transistors running to each ignition coil.

Best of luck with the auto electrician.

Fearlessmuffins

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Charlie
Drive
1996 Galant Vr4
You could have just fried both ECUs. You can remove the casing and check the transistors running to each ignition coil.

Best of luck with the auto electrician.
Very good news, managed to get it fixed. The IFS sensor was broken completely. Fully blown. Mate of mine managed to bypass it with a wire and got the car running. The ecu is all good thankfully :) gonna get the car roadworthy soon and on the road as soon as possible. Thanks for all the help, managed to diagnose this pretty quickly

mezje

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Maxim
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Manual
Yes have verified that the IFS was getting power and working. Thanks for the reply, hopefully my cam sensor comes soon so though I can replace it. Hoping this is the only problem that needs fixing 🙏
So this was wrong?

Fearlessmuffins

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Charlie
Drive
1996 Galant Vr4
So this was wrong?
It was, the auto electrician told me it was all good but seems he was wrong as when it was opened up a few diodes were blown. Shame he didn't do as a thorough job but I should've checked myself too, to be honest. I think he checked the connector to the sensor instead of the sensor itself. I'm unsure. But bypassing it seemed to do the trick

Top Bottom