Non Brembo rotor upgrades?

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
I think you should get a lot of interest in this, I'm looking forwards to seeing the results

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
that L bracket was used on the hubs with the 130mm distance..

alot of USGM 7G use it alot..

was gonna go that route as well until i got my 7G VR4 brake set..

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
I've also seen in my travels that Celsior calipers bolt straight up and are compatible with Supra rotors.

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
So this is for a PFL... what would change to make this work on a FL?

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
shouldnt need to change anything as 3000gt calipers are 160 spacing. although rotor sizing might be tricky

jon as i said in the other thread before it got wiped, i have been eyeing these off for over a year, keen to see how they go.

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
If you have a FL you can just bolt on Brembos :)

I realize that, but it would be nice to have a cheaper option that may allow be a little more flexibility on wheels.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

J-B

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jarrad
Drive
EVO VII GSR
Ah I didnt think about the wheels side of things, having a larger range to select from would be good.

M0R81U5

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mick
Drive
PFL Legnum
Nice work Jon, really looking forward to see how this goes. A decent PFL alternative to brembos would be awesome!

Hipsi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trav
Drive
D40 Navara
Ok, so I thought I would follow through on this as it may give PFL guys another cheaper option to Brembos. Good news is, this conversion is farily comomon in the states with the Eclipse's and the like.
-I've got a set of 3kgt calipers/shims/retainers and pins here. I only paid $140 delivered for my calipers from NZ. Rebuild kits are available around $80 delivered
-I've ordered these: http://www.tunersnation.com/index.php?p=product&id=866&parent=746 - My intention is to check the quality and then make laser cut stainless steel copies and eventually offer a bolt on kit for PFL Galant/Legnum.
-I've found TunersNation very good to deal with. They obvioulsy have quite a bit of knowledge with Mitsu.
-TunersNation do sell a bolt on kit - http://www.tunersnation.com/index.php?p=product&id=523&parent=746 - price is pretty good, but shipping will be around $130.

I've been looking into rotors/size/dimension and there are no 314mm rotors available to Toyota Supra; turbo or non turbo. The factory rotor for a 3kgt is a 314mm, I have ordered a set of these in to check fitment. At the moment TunersNation aren't sharing their part numbers for the disc rotors they supply with the kit.

The expected cost -
Calipers - $120-200
Pads - $120
Rotors - $300-450
Lines - $100
TOTAL - $640-870 dependant on quality of items.
Brembo upgrade easily another $5-800

You want Supra JZA80 twin turbo rotors? In stock

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

Jonson

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jon
Drive
MY15 X MR
Was that a question or a statement. PM me your prices on slotted fronts please.

Hipsi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trav
Drive
D40 Navara
Question and statement. PM coming

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

Ernz1981

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ernz
Drive
1997 Galant VR4
related......at some stage i was considering putting the sumitumo 4 piston calipers off a 2000sh wrx onto the front of galant....stock rotor size is the same...if you look it up on the dba website..

not sure if a bracket could be made up though.....might not be enough metal to work with.

i'd be interested if someone made a kit that could fit behind the stock 16" wheels (meaning i can use the spare wheel that comes with the car).

Jonson

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jon
Drive
MY15 X MR
Just keeping you all up to date...tuners nation have still not sent me the brackets. I've sent multiple emails with no reply.

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
Don't you have Brembos on now Jon? Still pursuing this?

Jonson

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jon
Drive
MY15 X MR
Yes and yes. I started it so I feel like a doosh if I don't try to finish it.

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
Haha fair enough. I'm sure if it works there will be some grateful people...If it works out cheap.

[TUFFTR]

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Paul
Drive
Mitsubishi Magna
Just my 2c since I've done this conversion on my TR.
3000GT's had 2 models of brakes and calipers.
1st gen - 4 pistons Sumitomo - 296mm disc.
2nd gen - 4 piston Sumitomo - 317mm disc.

Chances are you'd gotten the 1st gen calipers as they are EVERYWHERE. You can confirm this with the length of the 'ears' (mounting points coming from caliper) as the 2nd gen ones will have a longer 'ear' to accommodate for the bigger rotor.

What you ordered, well not sure if that bracket will fit. I did try mounting them to 3rd gen hubs a while back (Not a leggy I know but its as close as I could get) and they needed a bracket to be made aswell.

Hope everything does workout dude. They are sensational brakes, well for my application anyway. Only went with 1st gen brakes to keep rotating mass down! Also doing the 2nd gen 3000GT rear brake conversion too.....(twin piston sumitomo's with MITSUBISHI embossed onto the caliper like the front ones) which *might* work for the leggy's too...

Jonson

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jon
Drive
MY15 X MR
Thanks for the info, the guy I got them off also had the twin piston rears for sale so I may have fluked it with the good ones.
I'm not sure if the bracket will fit either but this is how you create good things, try different options till it works, then share the knowledge.

Edit - TR hub would be completely different to Legnum hub. TR runs mcpherson with control arm, Legnum runs mcpherson with wishbone.

Top Bottom