Official too lazy to search/stupid questions thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
Has anyone ever had a problem with the needle on their speedo jumping around? I had this happen once not long after i brought the car and then tonight with no notice it jumped around a bit. I noticed it all of a sudden jump around and go back to normal then it got worse and it would only correspond with when i accelerated fast, and when i backed off it went back to normal current speed. Done it a few times and it would only go back down to zero when i accelerated hard. Any ideas?

Emu

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Wayne
Drive
1999 Galant VR4 1993 HJ V6
Has anyone ever had a problem with the needle on their speedo jumping around? I had this happen once not long after i brought the car and then tonight with no notice it jumped around a bit. I noticed it all of a sudden jump around and go back to normal then it got worse and it would only correspond with when i accelerated fast, and when i backed off it went back to normal current speed. Done it a few times and it would only go back down to zero when i accelerated hard. Any ideas?

I had a similar issue with my GJ Sigma. Speedo cable would catch at lower speeds but once it got to 60km/h would all settle down. Replaced the cable, fixed the problem. Not sure if this helps with out cars as I'm not sure how the speedo works. Is it electronic or cable?

RaZZa137

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Rowan
Drive
1998 PFL Legnum VR4 2012 Skoda Superb 1990 Suzuki GSF250
has anyone got any ideas on what would be responsible for a soft brake pedal...
the car brakes normally but when the car is stopped for awhile such as at traffic lights the brake pedal will slowly start to go down until it's on the carpet or you lift off and press the brakes again, i don't think it needs bleeding because the brakes aren't soft or lack effect when you intially press the pedal...

Emu

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Wayne
Drive
1999 Galant VR4 1993 HJ V6
has anyone got any ideas on what would be responsible for a soft brake pedal...
the car brakes normally but when the car is stopped for awhile such as at traffic lights the brake pedal will slowly start to go down until it's on the carpet or you lift off and press the brakes again, i don't think it needs bleeding because the brakes aren't soft or lack effect when you intially press the pedal...

Mechanic told me that in my HJ Galant, the brake system jois the hydraulic clutch system. As a result, when my slave cylinder went, the brake fluid was going into the clutch system. Fix the slave system, fix the leak. So I did and it did. Do you have any leaks in your clutch system?

Other than that, the buckets in the master brake cylinder may be worn a just enough to allow the fluid to pass through around the buckets at a certain pressure. May need to replace those buckets.

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Toyota Supra RZ - The Project
Holden Commodore SS VF Series 2 - The Daily
I got a question, in trying to remove the tatty remains of a electronic boost controller that had been half removed i need to take a hose off the wastegate actuator pipe thingo. But man is it on there tight and in an awkward spot. Anyone got any ideas on how i can get it off cos it just wont budge. and im scared to cut it off in case i slip and take out another hose.

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Toyota Supra RZ - The Project
Holden Commodore SS VF Series 2 - The Daily
Finally got it off. Turns out the trick was get angry with pliers. lol.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Razza - I'd agree with a busted cylinder. Probably best to take it to a mechanic to get them to swap it over.

Matt - I often use pliers to pull on the rubber, or you could use some side cutters and put a slit in the rubber, then split it all the way open to get it off.

G

Unregistered
Worth spending money on getting around 180-200kw atw on my auto legnum or worth finding a manual to do it on.

In other words can the auto transmission handle it.

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
1999 White Legnum Type S Cold Spec with Recaros+Sunroof
In theory they can take it but the problem with autos the need to be looked after from new and most aren't

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
Worth spending money on getting around 180-200kw atw on my auto legnum or worth finding a manual to do it on.

In other words can the auto transmission handle it.

Simple answer YES, the auto will be fine with that power and more, but make sure the auto is in good nick to start with and make sure it is looked after regularly when punching out those figures. The 5man will handle a lot more but you have to find one first....
You should way up what you have now and what you can spend now versus what you are going to pay for a manual when you find one. If that makes sense:eek:

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Trevor is right. The auto will be fine.

In saying making 200atw in a manual is fine as well, you still have to remember that you'll need to upgrade your clutch. They're pathetic for stock power let alone 200atw.

If you need to rebuild your trans after X amount of time then so be it IMO. It'll cost $1k just for a clutch in a manual BEFORE you start upgrading anything else anyway! :)

G

Unregistered
yeah my standard clutch went after one drop at 3000rpm. the new one was $1550 but its awesome to drive

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Not sure if this helps with out cars as I'm not sure how the speedo works. Is it electronic or cable?
Its electronic - there's a sensor that sits in the top of the transmission and that feeds back to the ECU.

Some members have had issues with their speedo stopping altogether which turned out to be something to do with the stereo hookup. Take a search around and see what you can find :)

jaygore

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jamie
Drive
1998 Series 2 Pearl White Legnum
hey guys the top plastic button on my automatic stick is loose and always falls out when im driving, its quite annoying, is this a clip that has broken? and simply just need a new buutton thing

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
Whats a better clamp for the radiator hoses, the factory spring type ones or the screw up type ones?

G

Unregistered
can anyone direct me to a post or a pic on fitting a boost gauge on a 1996 vr4

G

Unregistered
Another question.. with the tiptronic mode and assuming you have the direction still wired as factory, has anyone noticed that the shift lever has quite a bit of movement before the microswitches are actuated? More so on the upshift than down. Can they be adjusted somehow? Of course I guess I could always whack the shifter quicker..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom