PFL/FL Legnum body differences

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
I was wondering if anyone would be able to advise me how the FL and PFL Legnum differ in shape in the rear hatch area.
For example is the main body of the car and for that i mean the sheet metal shell shape and door openings the same? I know the rear hatch looks different, as are the tails lights and rear bumper, but is that cosmetic or is the actual metal body shape different.

For an example could i fit the rear hatch bumper lights etc from a FL to a PFL?

Thanks for any help

uzz320

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Martin
Drive
99 Legnum
This is by no means definitive, but I seem to remember reading (in several random threads on here) that you could swap to a facelift rear end, but you need to swap the tailgate, lights and bumper. Sorry that I can't help with links or first hand experience, but it's at least a start :)

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Thanks Martin, yes its a start, just wondering if there are any differences in the body's sheet metal. Thanks for the reply!

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
I'm reasonably confident they're plug and play like the front. I recall a guy on cvr4 merely grabbing FL tail bits and doing a direct swap.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Thanks Joey- when I look at both types, I can't see any real differences either?

I was wondering if say any of the internal bits were different like trimming pieces in the rear section or attachment points etc again I can't see any differences between the two?

It's interesting that there doesn't seem to be answer during the time we've had these owned these cars now!

I guess I'll just have to track down someone with a FL and compare to my PFL.

Happy for more input if anyone has it???!!

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
There is some drilling and stuff to do. The lights are different heights and so on. I think m0r81u5 looked into it. he may know. For some reason I think qball may know too.

It has been done. I just can't remember by who.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
smileymertz on here & Dawso had FL fronts on PFL rear ends if that's any help. UncoTomato now owns Dawso's car.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
Ok, didn't think it was going to be any help.

I'm going to go back into the corner now & be quiet :)

VR4Legs

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Mark
Drive
99 Legnum Type S
Just wondering whether pfl and fl door glass are the same. Particularly the rear door small piece.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car

crazydriver81

Hesitantly Boosting
Premium Member
First Name
Stefan
Drive
Legnum 25 ST-R
Regarding the rear end conversion PFL to FL I'd like to advise people, that the thread over on CVR4 does miss some important points.

I have purchased a FL tailgate, FL bumper and FL lights. There is way more involved then 'just' cut bigger holes for the rear lights.

PFL gas struts won't fit at all, so using the FL ones is mandatory. This requires to drill extra holes and you need to use a nut to fix the gas strut.

FL rear bumper will not fit, if you don't cut the brackets left and right, where on a PFL rear bumper the rubber Supports are bolted to.

And you need to cut the rear section in order to make the rear lights fit properly. On top you need to close Part of the old rear light cut out to avoid water getting in.

I am somewhat stuck now to finish the conversion myself and I am about to order the factory body Panels to get them replaced rather the cut any body panels.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
You mean to say the rear quarter panels are different?

crazydriver81

Hesitantly Boosting
Premium Member
First Name
Stefan
Drive
Legnum 25 ST-R
You mean to say the rear quarter panels are different?

It isn't the rear quater panels. It's the panels where the rear outer lights and the gas bonnet struts are mount to. Basically these parts are hidden by the bumper face, lights and closed tailgate but these parts are diferent. It is not impossible to make this all fit - but the effort is considerable.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
Ah Yep they would be given you need to drill new holes etc. So different shape as well yeah?

crazydriver81

Hesitantly Boosting
Premium Member
First Name
Stefan
Drive
Legnum 25 ST-R
Different shape of cutout for the rear outer lights
Different location of mounting points for rear outer lights
Different location of mounting point for gas struts
Small metal brackets behind the PFL rear bumper which need to be removed in order to fit the FL bumper skin

As said - not impossible to make this all fit but you better think twice before starting this conversion (I will do and finish it anyway :D ). Hope I can post up some pictures as I come along.

Top Bottom