Plenum, what are your thoughts?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
today, i had my spare plenum dropped off at Bruce's workshop to have some bits trimmed down..

so hopefully I get it back soon.. below is a quick pic of how much I'm getting removed..

606fae3f.jpg

Im pretty sure some members here will say that, it has to be this and that.. but what I'm really after is the ease of servicing the rear banks..

IMO, it won't make any difference to the power the car makes or how it'll respond..

veegeeta

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
shane
Drive
fto with 6A13TT & bf xr6 turbo
Im interested and curious to see how this turns out interesting:mellow:

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
Flowing or opening up the inside at all?

hozza

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nathan
Drive
97 COTY manual legnum.(gone)
96 GTO MR
S13 silvia
I think the problem will be fitting an elbow on there.
Maybe not for you cause you dont have an airbox.
don't forget you will need to jig something up for the throttle cable as well.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
In theory you'll lose bottom end and gain top, in practice I'd be surprised if you notice much difference. I thought about making a single large barrel with a heap of bellmouth openings into it but haven't got around to it, much the same reason, I figured a bit of weight saving wouldn't hurt either, curious to see how it goes. Don't you dare change the pipe around the maf though after I remapped it completely though!

G

Unregistered
Looks interesting, in theory it may have some detrimental effect on low end torque. I'd be more interested to see what happens to throttle response though, hopefully it doesn't bog down at all. But if it works out well, why not consider getting a whole custom plenum made up instead?

parepin

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
4G93 Mirage
#HairdresserCivic
Keen to see this! Christian, always the pioneer hahaha

Kenneth

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Kenneth
Drive
1999 Galant VR-4
I reckon you will lose a wad of midrange with that. The length appears to be tuned for the 6a13 mid range power band. I am pretty sure it runs well above 100% VE standard (only way I can get a decent output model on engine calcs)

I'll be interested to see if any top end gains make it worth while though.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Looks interesting, in theory it may have some detrimental effect on low end torque. I'd be more interested to see what happens to throttle response though, hopefully it doesn't bog down at all. But if it works out well, why not consider getting a whole custom plenum made up instead?

if it does work, then custom plenum would be considered, just doing this for the sake of test and ease of servicing..

I know alot of people do complain about the time it takes to replace the damn plugs! lol

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
if it does work, then custom plenum would be considered, just doing this for the sake of test and ease of servicing..

I know alot of people do complain about the time it takes to replace the damn plugs! lol
Christian us mere mortals complain about rear plugs, but I have seen you pull those bastards out in less than half hour! Lol

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
bruce said he was worried about the wall thicknesses and also whether the runners have a taper. wont know till he cuts it.

and i told him to keep the cuts on the correct angle to suit the radius of the runners so it should match up perfectly

[TUFFTR]

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Paul
Drive
Mitsubishi Magna
Does anyone know what a full custom Plenum will roughly cost?

My custom intake manifold from the US was around $500 delivered. All aluminium, larger end tank, fatter runners.
Also i can do the rear plugs :D

However they only needed to take about 1.5" off from the total length to allow access to the rear plugs

buduki

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Cheyne
Drive
Stocko Galant vr4 Type V
Great to see you onto it already Christian. Lets see how it all turns out. Very interested indeed.

Top Bottom