Replacing wheel hub bearing assembly?

Lentil

Idling at the Lights
First Name
jayne
Drive
Legnum
I am going to try and change the rear wheel hubs on my '01 Legnum, I have searched for a guide but haven't found a specific one for the Legnum. I have never changed one before and have watched a few videos, looks like it shouldn't be too difficult. Just wondering if people have done them and a rough idea on how long it will take me? Should I do it tonight (Friday night) or wait til Sunday when I have the whole day? Cheers.

Lentil

Idling at the Lights
First Name
jayne
Drive
Legnum
Maybe^ lol I am raiding my dads tools, so not sure. Is it essential?

*yes confirmation of a rattle gun. :)

Gt_Galant

EC5A
First Name
Fred
Drive
Galant
Personally if I was you attempt it Sunday because you never changed it before and incase you run into small problems that take time and you got the whole day, rather than Friday night.

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Personally if I was you attempt it Sunday because you never changed it before and incase you run into small problems that take time and you got the whole day, rather than Friday night.

Or start now, and run into enough small problems that you finish friday night :p

slickd1

Wizard
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matthew Dundon
Drive
1998 EC5W Manual Legnum.
Get the wheels off now and spray the crap out of the whole assembly with penetrol, or ATF mixed with acetone. At the very least spray with WD40.

You'll need a selection of hammers, a BIG hammer, and a ring the same size as the larger part of the hub so you dont just smack the bearing out.

Driveshafts need to come out to give you swing room (use a pry bar to pop them out after undoing control arms), might need to get someone to stretch the hub out while you smack it with the hammer from behind. A big blank punch or cold chisel can also help. Sometimes hammering on the spot where the bolts go through forcing the hub to spin in its seat will let you get it to start spinning and crack the seal of rust and dirt. Once its cracked try to keep it straight as you tap it out alternating sides etc. Grease the new ones as you put them in, and clean the inside of the hub with emery cloth or sand paper before you grease so its nice and smooth.

slickd1

Wizard
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matthew Dundon
Drive
1998 EC5W Manual Legnum.
And yup, whole day. They might pop right out. More likely they'll be stuck and an absolute bitch to remove.

Top Bottom