Shocking Radio Reception....

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
So what happened here, i have shit reception as well.

deadlast

Crunching Gears
First Name
Dead
Drive
Ford Laser..
About to change head units on the weekend so keen for details as well.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

dwarfmarine

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Cameron
Drive
Previous: Black PFL Legnum
Current: TD5 Land Rover Disco
shit, totally forgot to reply to this.

Made a tiny difference... not really worth the pissing around.

Starting to think it may be a power source problem with the amplifiers that are behind the 'd' pillar trim

ed84

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Eddie
Drive
09' Mitsubishi SWB Pajero NT X DiD, Honda CBR250rr
HAD: 99' Legnum s 2 Type S, 98' Galant S2 Type V
:sad: sorry it didn't work for you, for me, i used to not be able to get past Port Adelaide without reception dieing in the ass. now i can get all the way to work with clear radio. My next HU will be a a DAB+ radio.
JVC KD-DB52 maybe?

dwarfmarine

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Cameron
Drive
Weird thing was, when I had a new battery put in, I had crystal clear reception for about a week then nothing.

fuji_heavy

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Janne
Drive
Legnum
i replaced the pioneer bluetooth headunit from my legnum with a JVC one i like better from my old silvia and the reception is now terrible. Whats the latest with a solution for this ?

Lasiorhinus

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Stephen
Drive
White FL Legnum
Return the JVC radio to the Silvia, and ensure your Legnum has a radio with dual antenna inputs, known as Diversity.

dwarfmarine

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Cameron
Drive
Return the JVC radio to the Silvia, and ensure your Legnum has a radio with dual antenna inputs, known as Diversity.
Oh shit, looks like I can't do this anymore since chopping the little plug off haha

How common are stereos with diversity inputs though?

Lasiorhinus

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Stephen
Drive
White FL Legnum
In Japan, very much common, not so common here.
However if you've cut off your antenna plug, that's not likely to improve your radio reception.

dwarfmarine

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Cameron
Drive
I cut the smaller one off to replace it with a larger one(so I could try a 2-into-1 into the headunit)
so I still have 2 antenna plugs, though both of mine are big whereas yours would be a big and a small

dilger

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Jerry
Drive
2000 Legnum
I just recently bought a new sony head unit which had its own 12v output wire (blue/white stripe) specifcally designed for a power supply to powered antennas. I crimped a plug on to and plugged it on to the existing plug on the antenna cable, and it has boosted my signal dramatically. Not sure why it shouldnt have worked for you. Make sure the wire you have connected is 12v with a multimeter?

fuji_heavy

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Janne
Drive
Legnum
the pioneer one that i took out didnt have diversity inputs, it just had better reception but it was a POS when it came to the menus and the screen visuals. i dont want to put it back in, just need decent reception again. my silvia didnt have an antenna, i had a little box that hooked up to the rear window demister as used that as an antenna. could this work on the legnum ?

Lasiorhinus

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Stephen
Drive
White FL Legnum
Thats the basic concept of the Legnum's antenna anyway - its the wiring in your side windows in the boot, that looks like demister wiring.

uzz320

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Martin
Drive
99 Legnum
Because they are designed to be used together after being processed by a diversity amplifier, without the diversity amplifier the signal from one antenna track in the glass is too weak (at times). They are also designed such that the signal is always strong regardless of which side of the car it is coming from, hence one antenna on each side of the car, but with only one antenna connected the signal tends to have issues when there are obstructions on that side of the car. Basically the two glass antennas and the diversity amplifier are an engineered package, designed to work together - the glass track is not designed to be a standalone antenna for a head unit.

fuji_heavy

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Janne
Drive
Legnum
ahhh i see. so what would happen if i splice the antenna cable into this box from my old car and hook it up to the larger demister on the rear window ?

Nitephyre

Flaccid Member
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt :)
Drive
1963 Toyota Lite-Stout & 2007 Toyota Blade Master G
What I don't get then is why there isn't a readily available converter to use the system for non-JDM areas, I mean surely SOMEONE with brains has gotten jack of bad reception :(

uzz320

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Martin
Drive
99 Legnum
ahhh i see. so what would happen if i splice the antenna cable into this box from my old car and hook it up to the larger demister on the rear window ?
It would work at least as well as it did in your old car I would suggest, but just hook it up to the demister - I don't see it going well if you try and connect the demister and the window antennas to each other...

What I don't get then is why there isn't a readily available converter to use the system for non-JDM areas, I mean surely SOMEONE with brains has gotten jack of bad reception :(

The problem is that the diversity amplifier is different for each car, they are designed for the particular application - in the VR4 it is in the OEM head unit, but some have up to 4 antennas with one antenna being dominant. They tend to be quite complex; they don't just splice the signal, they actually use the multiple inputs to correct signal defects - it can correct for phase shifts, time delays etc that are caused by the signal taking different paths to both antennas (bouncing off of buildings etc). They need to be built to suit the application. Does that make sense?

Top Bottom