The 100 amp fuse.

Grey_Ghost

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gav
Drive
1997 Trigger PFL Manual Legnum.
First, what does it control fully? It blew when the alternator went. I have a very cool looking high-vis dash, very little interior power and random other subsystems are out. I need to see what's tied up there and what got fried elsewhere.

Second, how can I get the remains out after it welded itself in and fell to pieces?

Third, does anybody know how much current the car uses whilst running?

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
When I saw this thread title I was expecting to see a photo of a thick nail wedged in between some fuse terminals.

We have a 100 Amp fuse???

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
2006 Suzuki Swift Sport 5 sp man
We have a 100 Amp fuse???
Yep. I blew mine when I removed the turbo and shorted the main feed from battery to alt. u can buy them from repco

JamesGC

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
James
Drive
97 Legnum (COTY)
the fuse is to protect the wire from alternator to battery. sounds like you have low power to everything because you are probably running off the battery with no alternator.

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
Premium Member
First Name
Ed
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Manual, Ford Territory family runabout, BMW K1300R.
Only way that fuse will blow is if the current passing through it exceeds 100 amps. That would mean a dead short to ground on that circuit. I'd be taking a close look at the underside of the engine bay fuse/relay block and looking for signs of serious melting.

100 amps at 14.5 volts is 1,450 watts of power. Cars only add bigger/more alternators when they have huge stereo systems. I'd hazard a guess - having not measured it - that a Legnum would pull about 350-400 watts with all the lights turned on. Maybe a bit more with the AC fan running full tilt.

Even IF the alternator is rated to 100 amps there's no way I'd be keen to run it anywhere near that rating.

Top Bottom