The Choice: EVO VII GTA or 8G VR4

Kristian

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kristian
Drive
Changes daily
I think you can't go wrong with either car, but if it's auto you're after, the Galant is a better prospect. Much more practical, more useable power, easier to live with generally and cheaper to boot.

If you were talking manual, I'd have told you to get an Evo 7 ;)

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
I totally agree with Tom, Kevin and Kris.

Especially with Kevin's comment.
The GT-A looks like a riced up lancer. Especially with the "mini" or "no-wing" appearance, and also no bonnet vents.
I guess you can fix that by replacing the bonnet and adding an Evo wing, but that's an extra $1500-$2000 just to make it look the part.

Also, the Evo GT-A's were de-tuned to 200kw and have a smaller turbo than the standard Evo's. So you'd be spending a bit of cash just to get it up to spec to a manual Evo (looks and performance wise).

The best thing about the GT-A's though is that they are cheap as.
But don't expect it to hold it's value.
There are heaps on sale privately for under $19,000.

I'm not hating on the GT-A (i think they're pretty damn cool), I just think the VR-4 is a better choice.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
I'd get a 6 speed EVO 8 or 9 over a VR-4 because those models also have SAYC.

I have been in an EVO 7 around Pukekohe and I can't consider the 7 to be better than a VR-4 sorry. The long gear ratios in an auto would only make the lack of boost even worse down low and would annoy the heck out of me.

smitty

Sm'arter than the aver'age bear...!
First Name
Alex
Drive
98 FL Galant Type S Manual, FG XR6, VY Acclaim, MQ Triton GLS
I'm trying to avoid the more "riced up" look of the Evo GSRs and the other more common imports.... i dont like the attention from the police that tends to come hand in hand with big rear wings, ultra-loud BOVs etc.

Do any of you Victorian guys have mechanics you'd recommend? I live in southeast Melbourne but i'd be willing to travel a fair way for a proper service as i work all over melbourne.

Mortz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Luke M
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
If you were to say manual EVO 7 I would say snap it up, but they are a fair bit more expensive then the GTA's.
In my opinion EVO's are built for motorsport, and putting an auto box in one is pretty damn questionable with the lack of low down torque. Get a late model Galant with AYC and a tippy box, you get a sunroof bonus and if you look hard enough you can get some Recaros in the mix too. Getting some nice useable power out of these things is not hard and will not set you back too much at all. Economy is the one thing the EVO will probably have, but as a weekender it obviously will not be an issue.

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
A few people have been questioning the torque of the GT-A. As far as i know, the GT-A has 350nm of torque, only a little down from the 366nm that the VR4 has. The GT-A gets on full boost by 3 grand because of the (smaller than the EVO) turbo.

In my legnum, i like to shift very early while under WOT and go straight thru the gears to get speed up. The GT-A does this much better and will accelerate harder.

If anyone still doesn't believe me that the GT-A in stock form will beat the Legnum (running 15psi) i will find a time and a place and video it.

If the Galant/Legnum has points that win over the GT-A for you, then good, but speed/acceleration is not one of them.

Kristian

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kristian
Drive
Changes daily
^^I agree with what you're saying Scott, the Galant isn't faster than the GT-A, but the Galant's setup, in terms of motor and suspension, is more liveable around town.

I could line my Dad up at 60km/h with my GT-R and his Legnum, and he'd pull 3 or four car lengths on me if I was sitting in 4th or even 3rd. If acceleration was the only criterion we judged all cars by, then everyone here would have bought an Evo ;)

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
The only real indication I have of EVO vs VR-4 performance is that a stock manual VR-4 will do 190kmh down the back straight at Pukekohe, and a stock EVO 8 will do 210kmh. My VR-4 of course does 235kmh :D

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
If you want it purely for cruising and your getting an auto.

Get the galant and punt the difference what $10k on an awesome candy pain job 20" rims and a plush interior with 30" LCD's.

A stock GT-A isn't going to be a cruiser in any sense of the word.

Soldat

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Blake
Drive
R33 GTST (S2)
Do any of you Victorian guys have mechanics you'd recommend? I live in southeast Melbourne but i'd be willing to travel a fair way for a proper service as i work all over melbourne.

Tech///Sport in Bayswater. When you turn up at their workshop, you'll see why. ;)

Top Bottom