ECUFlash Definitions

Wakaba

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Abe
Drive
96 Legnum VR4
Thanks, I found a seller who is willing to sell ecu from his car, it is stock.

automatic, year 2000.

Can I just replace my 7201 ecu with that?

You may have issue with TCS/ASC with the Ecu, but it’s an easy fix.

The ECU plugs right in. If you have the brackets on the plastic case it’ll bolt in as well. If not I used 3M tape.

When you get it, open the case and find out which processor you have. This will be important for flashing.

Plug the ECU in and start your car. If you have no warning lights you are good to go. If you get warning lights, you will need to flash an appropriate ROM to it.

For this and logging and clearing codes etc you are going to want to pick up a Tatrix cable. I got this one with the Mitsubishi flash plug, and paid for the evoscan software.

A couple of us cleared our issues with the plastic case ECU swap and have the various maps thanks to clubvr4 and @BCX who was been a HUGE help.

thejuzo

Idling at the Lights
Premium Member
First Name
Juuso
Drive
Legnum vr4
You may have issue with TCS/ASC with the Ecu, but it’s an easy fix.

The ECU plugs right in. If you have the brackets on the plastic case it’ll bolt in as well. If not I used 3M tape.

When you get it, open the case and find out which processor you have. This will be important for flashing.

Plug the ECU in and start your car. If you have no warning lights you are good to go. If you get warning lights, you will need to flash an appropriate ROM to it.

For this and logging and clearing codes etc you are going to want to pick up a Tatrix cable. I got this one with the Mitsubishi flash plug, and paid for the evoscan software.

A couple of us cleared our issues with the plastic case ECU swap and have the various maps thanks to clubvr4 and @BCX who was been a HUGE help.

Okay, thank you for the information.

I have tcl in my car

Wakaba

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Abe
Drive
96 Legnum VR4
Been playing around with maps and such, and I think I've got a bunch of this magic down. However, I am trying to figure out how to swtich the Spec Index to a TCS friendly setting.

Currently I am showing the following in the tuned MAP (Mine's)
1721170293616.png

The known "good" ECU with TCS functioning flawlessly shows the following:

1721170392926.png

I can easily toggle the Spec Index value, but the TCS light didn't stop flashing at me. Do I also need to change the software ID to match the TCS ROM as well?

Or would it be easier to just start changing all my stock TCS friendly tune to the Mine’s tables?

Last edited:

BCX

Administrator
Premium Member
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
1997 MK Triton GLS [6G74 conversion]
2019 i30 N-Line
If it were me, I'd copy the tables over to the 2003 based rom..

Send through the rom in DM and I can copy them over for you.

Wakaba

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Abe
Drive
96 Legnum VR4
@BCX

I discovered a couple features with EcuFlash, in that I could copy/paste whole tables at a time, and there is a built in comparison tool as well. I spent some time and moved things from the Mine's ROM into my known good ROM. Before I brick something would you mind taking a peek at my comparison results and give me a go/nogo?

1721342365498.png

No changes to:
ADC coolant temp scaling
Coolant sensor voltage
MAF IAT scaling
UAT Sensor Voltage

I left these values as factory settings in the stock ROM because I didn't know if there was differences in PFL and FL. Additionally the tables didn't present the same so I didn't want to start mucking about with them.

Boost cut limiter (auto and manual) is 220 across the board on the Mine's, I cut that down to 210 for safety sake. I will likely adjust this later.

No changes to the following because I am moving from a non-TCL (Mine's) to TCL (stock):
spec index
software version
case number spec 0/1/2

RPM limit left stock
Speed limiter moved to 210kmh on/216kmh off
MUT tables left alone because I'm scared to touch this stuff
ECU Periphery0 and 00 bits left stock because TCL vs non-TCL.

thoughts before I go full send on it?

mezje

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Maxim
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Manual
Open both roms, then under the file menu use the compare rom function.

Tables with different values are highlighted.

This works best when the two roms use the same definition. This is because the comparison between tables is based on the tables name and naming for tables is inconsistent.

xplsek03

Idling at the Lights
Premium Member
First Name
M
Drive
1999 manual legnum
I’m starting to think I need to delete everything and start over. This is what I'm seeing:

yep deleted all and started over worked... now my tables are the same as yours. With that I can now see many more options and more information. Playing with TCL I have the ROM off my 7202 ECU that is clearly a non-TCL and throws the flashing light to prove it. This ROM shows Perphery0 bit.13 as:

The known TCL ROM shows the following for Perphery0 bit.13:

I know you are a MT guy, but in your history with cracking these nuts, is the only item I have to toggle in 0?
Out of curiosity, what exactly did you do that your tables started showing up same as BCX's? Having similar issue, but with less tables.

Wakaba

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Abe
Drive
96 Legnum VR4
Out of curiosity, what exactly did you do that your tables started showing up same as BCX's? Having similar issue, but with less tables.

It was all in the definitions file I was running on. I just deleted all my def files, downloaded what @BCX has, and all worked out.

Fun fact, when you forget to give your boost control solenoid any boost to work with, your waste gates don’t really open and 1.1 bar is on the table. When this happens it’s not the ECU’s fault, it’s yours. 🤦‍♂️

xplsek03

Idling at the Lights
Premium Member
First Name
M
Drive
1999 manual legnum
It was all in the definitions file I was running on. I just deleted all my def files, downloaded what @BCX has, and all worked out.

Fun fact, when you forget to give your boost control solenoid any boost to work with, your waste gates don’t really open and 1.1 bar is on the table. When this happens it’s not the ECU’s fault, it’s yours. 🤦‍♂️
I am currently modifying this BCX definition xml from here: https://github.com/OZVR4/ecuflash-defs/blob/main/mitsubishi/galant-legnum/20030013.xml and adding some fields I found in xml shipped with ecuflash (didnt find knock and some boost load options in BCX's version). Maybe you can share me the xml definition you are using?

xplsek03

Idling at the Lights
Premium Member
First Name
M
Drive
1999 manual legnum

Let me guess, incorrect plumbing of boost solenoid? :D

BCX

Administrator
Premium Member
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
2019 i30 N-Line
I am currently modifying this BCX definition xml from here: https://github.com/OZVR4/ecuflash-defs/blob/main/mitsubishi/galant-legnum/20030013.xml and adding some fields I found in xml shipped with ecuflash (didnt find knock and some boost load options in BCX's version). Maybe you can share me the xml definition you are using?
What tables are you missing?

My defs have more than the standard ecuflash defs, which were inaccurate last time I checked.

Happy to add if there's something missing.

Last edited:

xplsek03

Idling at the Lights
Premium Member
First Name
M
Drive
1999 manual legnum
What tables are you missing?

My defs have more than the standard ecuflash defs, which were inaccurate last time I checked.

Happy to add if there's something missing.
I wanted to visualize values for those infamous knock variables and lean spool. Its interesting those lean spool attributed have been marked as wrong, although there seems to be peripheral bit settings for it in vr4base

BCX

Administrator
Premium Member
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
2019 i30 N-Line
Leanspool code is in the rom, but the tables are headers only without any values.

Ecuflashs definitions for knock were very inaccurate from memory.

Last edited:

xplsek03

Idling at the Lights
Premium Member
First Name
M
Drive
1999 manual legnum
Leanspool code is in the rom, but the tables are headers only without any values.

Ecuflashs definitions for knock were very inaccurate from memory.
Thanks for insight. Ok, i take it that this concept of lean spool tables has been abandoned then. Any idea about the original boost control tables "Desired Engine Load A - Primary" and "Desired Engine Load A - Secondary (Stub)"? 1223e, 12296 (cut from your xml version)

BCX

Administrator
Premium Member
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
2019 i30 N-Line
Tables might be called BDEL

Boost Desired Engine Load.

Wakaba

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Abe
Drive
96 Legnum VR4
Ok so its prolly the same data as in your 4 BDEL tables. Thanks.

Are you good to go with the def files? I downgraded back to Win10 on my laptop so all my maps and stuff are still on a thumb drive. Haven’t even loaded ecu flash onto the computer yet.

Going to Metallica night 2 tonight, so I could get you those files by maybe Tuesday(?)

xplsek03

Idling at the Lights
Premium Member
First Name
M
Drive
1999 manual legnum
Are you good to go with the def files? I downgraded back to Win10 on my laptop so all my maps and stuff are still on a thumb drive. Haven’t even loaded ecu flash onto the computer yet.

Going to Metallica night 2 tonight, so I could get you those files by maybe Tuesday(?)
If you find time to send me then in the week, i would be much obliged. That way i can flash it on saturday. Great job.

Top Bottom