zrs24

Idling at the Lights
Premium Member
First Name
Mat
Drive
97' Legnum VR-4
Mitsubishi Mirage
Has Anyone experienced power cut between 1500-2300 rpm and then kick back in again on very light throttle?

My legnum has done it since I bought it and it's a mystery to me, it makes driving in traffic very difficult. If in 1st or 2nd gear it can violently bunny hop... it feels really hard on the drivetrain and makes dealing with brisbane traffic a terrible experience.

It is a manual, and has no issues at all anywhere else and no codes (with thebexception of thenstandard AYC code that is apparently normal (code 41? I forget), it does do it in 3rd and 4th gear same rpm but is not violent... guessing torque multiplication of lower gearing makes it alot more pronounced.

zrs24

Idling at the Lights
Premium Member
First Name
Mat
Drive
97' Legnum VR-4
Mitsubishi Mirage
Also, It's not on initial application, only on a set percentage of throttle holding for anywhere from 5 seconds to 30 seconds, cuts out for 5 seconds and kicks back in violently, if I let off the throttle and re-apply it some times comes back (again, violently) or if I leave the same amount it still comes back eventually... just still violently.

mezje

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Maxim
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Manual
Sounds like it could be boost cut. Is there an aftermarket boost solenoid or anything like that?

zrs24

Idling at the Lights
Premium Member
First Name
Mat
Drive
97' Legnum VR-4
Mitsubishi Mirage
Sounds like it could be boost cut. Is there an aftermarket boost solenoid or anything like that?
I didn't even think of that because it's not even on boost and it drives incredibly well throughout any other load I put on it, pulls great to redline, can cruise with ease on the highway.

I'll definatly check that out and do another search for vacuum leaks.

mezje

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Maxim
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Manual
I didn't even think of that because it's not even on boost and it drives incredibly well throughout any other load I put on it, pulls great to redline, can cruise with ease on the highway.

I'll definatly check that out and do another search for vacuum leaks.
I am just guessing, is it tuned?

Additionally, is it always WOT?

zrs24

Idling at the Lights
Premium Member
First Name
Mat
Drive
97' Legnum VR-4
Mitsubishi Mirage
I am just guessing, is it tuned?

Additionally, is it always WOT?
Only thing it has is a front mount, pod filter (I want to revert back to stock airbox) and an exhaust, the ecu is on stock parameters.

Also it's completly fine at wide open throttle, it only happens on light applications creeping in traffic.

mezje

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Maxim
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Manual
Only thing it has is a front mount, pod filter (I want to revert back to stock airbox) and an exhaust, the ecu is on stock parameters.

Also it's completly fine at wide open throttle, it only happens on light applications creeping in traffic.
Alright, won't be a boost cut then. I'd be checking for vac leaks again and worth checking the TPS

Top Bottom