Engine knocks bad rebuild or swap?

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
No offense dude but the questions you're asking screams you don't have a clue what your looking at. Take it to a professional and save yourself a big headache

Heatmakerz

Hesitantly Boosting
Premium Member
First Name
Michael
Drive
2000 galant vr4
I dont. that's why I'm asking? I'm trying to learn i managed to rip it apart. I'm just trying to get answers as to where to get parts and learn thats all. I'm not a offended I was just looking for some extra knowledge that's all.

mezje

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Maxim
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Manual
I dont. that's why I'm asking? I'm trying to learn i managed to rip it apart. I'm just trying to get answers as to where to get parts and learn thats all. I'm not a offended I was just looking for some extra knowledge that's all.
You are asking questions that have been answered. Now that you have disassembled it the only discussions that need to happen are between yourself and the engine builder/machinist.

Information regarding part numbers and part options are all here on the forum and mostly answered directly already.

Heatmakerz

Hesitantly Boosting
Premium Member
First Name
Michael
Drive
2000 galant vr4
Okay thanks I'll read through more of it! You did a pretty sweet thread on your engine build!

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
As an ex engine builder there's nothing worse than someone bringing you an unfamiliar engine in pieces.
At least if they disassemble it they can easily reassemble it.

I'm assuming you don't have the equipment at home to measure all the clearances. So the best option is to take it to your local machine shop, liase with them about what's damaged and what isn't. And we can help point you in the right direction for ordering the parts you need.

Heatmakerz

Hesitantly Boosting
Premium Member
First Name
Michael
Drive
2000 galant vr4
Thank you. I will try and find a local machine shop, and yea I agree with you nothings worse then somebody bringing you a bunch of peices and asking it to be reassembled!

Heatmakerz

Hesitantly Boosting
Premium Member
First Name
Michael
Drive
2000 galant vr4
So I have taken my block and crank to a machine. The guy said that my cylinder are all in great shape and was just going to the Hone them and my crank was also good he just needed to do a polish. he told me I got lucky and caught it before it got worse. So I'm question well I assume since there no boring being involved I am able to get just stock pistons and con rods?

But obviously there production stopped so I've been doing my own research as to where to find I did see on another fourm that weisco makes a piston so I'm going to purchase them.

But I am having a tough time trying to find a set of rod I did see one of you mentioned in another form that you can get china ones made?

I was trying to do as much research and digging around before I had to come back here! Thank you!

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
That's extremely lucky.

The wiseco pistons from IPP are a floating pin type and do not work woth stock rods unfortunately. And they are not supplied with rings so you need to find a ring pack that is suitable.

I can supply you a set of good stock pistons rods and rings if you want to do a barney basic stock size hone rebuild then you just need to order bearings and gaskets.

If you wanted to use those wiseco pistons I can enquire about custom rods going off past orders I would estimate a set of rods would be around the 2000nzd mark plus shipping and then you'd want to go 0.5mm oversize pistons and bore the block to suit. Not difficult but it certainly adds alot to the cost

If your planning on bigger better turbo(s) down the road upgrading the head studs while it's apart is a clever idea.

Heatmakerz

Hesitantly Boosting
Premium Member
First Name
Michael
Drive
2000 galant vr4
I've been talking to pauter it's a company in the states and they can make the rods for me but there like 1860usd he said!

I figure since I have the motor apart I might aswell upgrade the internals.

I do plan I getting bigger turbos for it I don't what a bunch of power.

I do feel like your idea is alot better!

Heatmakerz

Hesitantly Boosting
Premium Member
First Name
Michael
Drive
2000 galant vr4
Yea its the only place I've found that can make them for me. I don't really feel like paying 2400 cad bucks specially when I'm not trying to make a bunch of power just want fun an reliable you know.

As for the piston I think I may go for the wiseco but as you said I'd have to source out a ring set!

Would you recommend them or did you happen to have another brand you think would be better to suit the rods you can get made?

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
Ipp can supply rings with the pistons but they are not included in the price listed.
How much power do you wanna make
350-400whp is achievable on stock internals

Heatmakerz

Hesitantly Boosting
Premium Member
First Name
Michael
Drive
2000 galant vr4
Yea around that power. But how reliable for how long you know. Would be nice to have the option of going more aswell down the road as well. How much are you selling the pistons and rods you have?

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
Under 400whp should live a good life as long as your tuner has a brain and doesn't ramp in all the boost super early as that high cylinder pressure at low rpm is what kills stuff.
Much above 400whp on stock internals I'd consider as a "hand grenade with the pin pulled" ya know.

I'd only want maybe 150nz for the stock rods and pistons, I think rings are ballpark 3-400nzd and who knows what shipping to Canada would be

Heatmakerz

Hesitantly Boosting
Premium Member
First Name
Michael
Drive
2000 galant vr4
Sounds good you know what I think I might just go that route since you have them and I don't have chase everything around and it also puts some bucks in your pocket as well!

I appreciate the help!

Top Bottom