Fear of VR4 Popularity - just me?

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
This thread has a poll which says around 74 but thats only people on this site. There would have to be over twice that I'd say.

cheers

Lee

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
brocky makes a good point, there aren't even that many GTO's around and they are hot!! but also no one wants them caz they almost weigh 2 tonnes
Curb weight of a GTO is actually 1400kg to 1710kg, depending on model and options. Official tare weight for the Legnum according to DoTaRS is 1612kg, so fairly similar and the GTO has a much more powerful engine with a lot more potential. You can drop their weight quite easily too. Valmes has/had one doing 9s ¼'s. If I was in the market for a coupé I'd seriously consider a GTO.

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
dont say that, you will make me regret not getting one lmao

2000VR-4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jason
Drive
1988 Magna (Daily) 1975 GC Galant hardtop (W/End car) 1972 GS Galant hardtop, 1973 Galant GTO X-II, 1978 Galant (Scorpion) hardtop
I had a guy tonight at the carwash ask me why I spent so much on an import when I coulda got a Gen III VT or newer for that. I just explained that I didn't have another $20k to make it go or handle as well as the VR-4, and in the end would still own a Taxi :p
He quietly walked away when I started in on the shitty family car looks that ya see in traffic every 2 secs and maybe I should buy some cheap nasty clear tail lights too. lol

I dont want my car to be popular at all, I like the rarity and questions I get asked for the most part.

I have only ever seen one other, a Leggy, on the road.
Think about EVO's?? At Sinergy we had a brilliant EVO VII sitting there for like 6 months before someone came and bought it. I just dont think Mitsi's have the same appeal and the AWD is a put off for the masses that wanna buy a Skyline or similar.

G

Unregistered
I had a guy tonight at the carwash ask me why I spent so much on an import when I coulda got a Gen III VT or newer for that.

Man it gets me so mad that people just dont get it. Its not a mode of transport from A to B. Its a life style, its a passion, i don't question your lack of taste when you buy a ugly bubble of a car that is the VT Sh!tadore, i just smile and nod, why do people feel that have to change us, why do they feel they know better than anyone else. End rant in fear of Incredible Hulk rage.

I just dont think Mitsi's have the same appeal and the AWD is a put off for the masses that wanna buy a Skyline or similar.

But one of the most popular skylines is the GTR, the AWD Behemoth. AWD is a popular option just look at the Impreza.

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
1999 Legnum Type S
Curb weight of a GTO is actually 1400kg to 1710kg, depending on model and options. Official tare weight for the Legnum according to DoTaRS is 1612kg, so fairly similar and the GTO has a much more powerful engine with a lot more potential. You can drop their weight quite easily too. Valmes has/had one doing 9s ¼'s. If I was in the market for a coupé I'd seriously consider a GTO.

The tare weight for my galant from DOTARS was 1480kg. So I guess it's in the same boat with model and options etc.

The DOHC 24v 6G72 is a weapon motor and very underrated, even N/A!

I agree with brocky, awd is not a put off at all. AWD is very popular.

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
I think what puts people of mitsi's is the common image of the mid 90's lancer GLi with 400kg of fibreglass, loud exhaust, 5" tacho in the dash and some bleach haired gay guy driving :ROFLMAO: This is enough to put most people of Mitsubishi as all their nissan friends will pay them out... till they ride in the cars! :)

G

Unregistered
well i must say that i love cars and i love to drift but i also love evo's and legnums
so drifting took a back seat as i just had to have an evo and now i gotta get a legnum lol but the awd does put me off at little at times! So when i get my leggy i might just make it rwd that would be so fun and people would be like wtf is that lol
well just a thought doesnt mean i will do it

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
I just have to say that whenever I see this thread title I think "Fear of a Black Planet" lol

2000VR-4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jason
Drive
1988 Magna (Daily) 1975 GC Galant hardtop (W/End car) 1972 GS Galant hardtop, 1973 Galant GTO X-II, 1978 Galant (Scorpion) hardtop
I just have to say that whenever I see this thread title I think "Fear of a Black Planet" lol
I'm not scared of Aboringinals???

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
Ok, just got back from four days in Wellington, NZ and I just want to say...

OMG, there are Galants and Legnums EVERYWHERE!!! I kept a count and it was 94 sightings BUT here's the interesting statistic.

Number of VR-4s spotted however?

...one.

And in Meister Blue as well outside Parliament House on Saturday evening.

There are a lot of GLX, GDI, "Viento" and ST-R variants and looking a lot worse for wear. Made me remember why I bought Loki in the first place when I first travelled to NZ four years ago and saw them.

Katie couldn't believe that they were everywhere but kind of tired of me pointing them out by Day 2. Ok, going outside and giving Loki a hug, and letting him know that Daddy's home :D

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Here if you saw 100 8G's you'd probably see 3 VR-4's. They are more common up here in Auckland, but you're right about the condition people keep them in. Remember the standard prefacelifts go for $3-6k over here

G

Unregistered
it's a pity actually.. i'd love a ST-R daily... same ride quality, just without the fuel consumption or power.
they probably fail on the power/weight ratio though, same reason we cant get N/A stageas.

then i could turn the super vr-4 into a super power monster... :D

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Yep, for import into Aus they fail on power to weight, which is strange considering you can buy literally 100 cars new from factory with less power, and last time I checked all governments were trying to get people to go slower and be more conservative when driving.

ST-R's are great though, 8-9l/100km is normal on 91 octane, they sound better than a VR-4 and are actually very quick. They aren't far off from some of the prefacelift auto VR-4's equipped with pod filters

Top Bottom