Hmm... Slipping clutch

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
1999 Legnum Type S
I used an Exedy HDCB in my old magna. They are the best clutch that exedy make imho.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Josh - no problems to the drivetrain at all. The AYC diff apparently doesn't like lots of hard launches though, something to consider if you want to drag and have an uprated clutch

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
still fine as far as driveability goes? ive only ever had factory clutches :p

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
I used an Exedy HDCB in my old magna. They are the best clutch that exedy make imho.
Paul how was it for drivability? A few guys I know have told me to steer well clear of button clutches for daily drivers as they're a pig for use in traffic and tight carparks, but I'm interested to find out if the cushioned button is close to the response of a standard variable clutch?

G

Unregistered
The only VR-4's I've driven with uprated clutches have been mine and Uc's - Carsten, what does Uc have?

i have no idea, he does'nt even know!
its the worst clutch i ever had the pleasure of not getting use to.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
it's on, and then it is off, and you've stalled the car.

I've occaisonally stalled cars from time to time, as everyone has, but I've never stalled a car twice in a row before, and I think I stalled his about 5 times in 2km's of driving!

G

Unregistered
lol, yep its on or off, and theres no feel to it!
so you cant tell when its about to bite!

i ended up launching most of the time..... that was fun :p

Hipsi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trav
Drive
D40 Navara
how much have you guys payed for your 7223HD kits? I'm getting prices at the moment. Best I've had is $650

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
1999 Legnum Type S
Paul how was it for drivability? A few guys I know have told me to steer well clear of button clutches for daily drivers as they're a pig for use in traffic and tight carparks, but I'm interested to find out if the cushioned button is close to the response of a standard variable clutch?

Oh man I forgot I posted in this thread!!! haha!

It was awesome, you could ride/slip it if you wanted to. It just felt like a slightly heavier stock clutch. It did have a heap more clamping force. A few people who drove my magna said it was a heavy clutch, but I was so used to it that it didn't bother me. Noone ever said it was hard to control though, just heavy. But you get used to that anyway, I'm no muscle bound person either :D

It does not behave like a button clutch at all...Hence why I reckon it's the best clutch Exedy make as they just blew away all preconceptions of button clutches with this one.

I paid about $480 for mine, but my mate worked for Auto Pro at the time. I think RRP was about $700. Worth IMHO if the stock Evo 9 flywheel and clutch doesn't fit.

G

Unregistered
i thought that the legnums/galants have evo 5 running gear?? i also need new clutch mite just go HD or HDCB, not sure yet.

G

Unregistered
Sound like the brass button might be the way to go if its only a bit extra $$. If it can still slip a little bit then it sounds fine to me.

Subaru ETA

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
David
Drive
97 Galant VR-4 M/T
uc's clutch is a dog! we put heaps of brass button clutches in the laurals/ ceferios we build and they are alot easier to drive tan his lol.

last one we did has a twin plate brass button. now that a pig to drive but good for the skids lol

i have the exedy heavy duty and it mint. feels like stock but can handle clutch dumps! can spin all fours with it :D

G

Unregistered
nice, thats what i want spinnin all four.. had some of that action in the foz with the stock clutch, the subaru clutches seem to bite more agressive than the legnum ones!

Top Bottom