Single turbo conversion

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
There is no fuse box there, perhaps it has been relocated?

I love the shape of the headers, they look brilliant, well done.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Top pic - touching the turbo!

I knew it'd eventually be relocated, as no one would overlook something that obvious. I'm just being dumb.

VR-4Fan

Crunching Gears
First Name
Ilya
Drive
MMC Galant VR-4 1997 Type S
Thanx everybody ;)
Yes, this is mine. The first single turbo project in Russia I guess. Some of my Russian clubmates are doing another ways but still in twin turbo direction (2xTD04, 2x GT-R turbos, and so on) :D

The work is now frozen in the literal and figurative sense, cause we now have terrible cold, and I did not have time in the summer to warmed the garage :sad:

Concerning the fuse box it will remains at the place where it was but using the heat shield for protection ;) Time will tell.

Thanx Brad, yes, the headers are really good. The same words I was told to the guys, who was doing all of the welding job !

The latest photo of what have done under the bonnet that I have !

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
It looks excellent. Best of all you won't need to shovel your driveway when it's cold. Just fire up your engine & the heat generated will melt the snow away! (y)

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Nice job Ilya! I gather there are no probelms with emissions or legal to change from twins to single?
Here in Australia, the car would need to be emissions tested....this is a minor point that people here are overlooking :LOL:

Can i suggest you ceramic coat the exhaust piping to help keep your under bonnet temps down as time will kill the fuse box and any other rubber/plastic components near any part of the exhaust and turbo.

If you don't the poor radiator will become terribly heat soaked and i reckon you'll have cooling issues.

VR-4Fan

Crunching Gears
First Name
Ilya
Drive
Thanx Simon.

As you all know I guess, here in Russia, almost all can be solved with help of "Bank Notes" (I'm not sure, that this is correct but think you will understand what I mean ;)) neither emission nor legality of that kinda conversion;)

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Nice, Yes i understand ;) gotta be happy about that. Is there anyone there that can ceramic coat the exhaust?

VR-4Fan

Crunching Gears
First Name
Ilya
Drive
And what about ceramic coating - that is one big "Q" here in Moscow:(

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Just something to consider, heat wrapp will degrade the metal over time and heat cycles. Mine was wrapped for around 12months of hard track driving. Was new, once i took it off to do some work the wrapp crumbled so i took it off to replace it......fcuk me, didn't like what i saw, so ceramic coating got the nod. Now's i'ts pretty common practice ;)

VR-4Fan

Crunching Gears
First Name
Ilya
Drive
Hmmm. I'll do that coating with pleasure, but couldn't find who may do that here in Moscow :(

Simon, how high temperature is the ceramic coating will hold, and how much does it costs to coat all my headers and all the exhaust pipes under the bonnet ???

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
I reckon someone would do it in Moscow? Heavy industry may be somewhere to start looking?
temp, depends on the which place does it for you but 1000-1200celcius is common.
I used these guys here in Brisbane QLD http://competitioncoatings.com.au/
Recently coated both my exhaust manifolds, turbine housings and dump pipes on the GTR for $620
I had is done in their "hyper black". The chrome looking version isn't temp rated as high as the black.

Your exhaust temp shouldn't get much above 700C when you're up it for a decent length of time.
Hope that helps?

VR-4Fan

Crunching Gears
First Name
Ilya
Drive
Yeah Simon, thanx, I'll do a search for someone who can do that. And how is your temp with that coating ? did it worth it ? I mean the coating instead of wrap ?

scientist

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Edmund Robinson
Drive
1989 Galant VR4
noticed you only have a wastegate on the rear bank...or is there another wastegate not shown in the pictures? If thats the case you're going to have proper boost control issues

fathead

Crunching Gears
First Name
nick
Drive
legnum
Thanx everybody ;)
Yes, this is mine. The first single turbo project in Russia I guess. Some of my Russian clubmates are doing another ways but still in twin turbo direction (2xTD04, 2x GT-R turbos, and so on) :D

The work is now frozen in the literal and figurative sense, cause we now have terrible cold, and I did not have time in the summer to warmed the garage :sad:

Concerning the fuse box it will remains at the place where it was but using the heat shield for protection ;) Time will tell.

Thanx Brad, yes, the headers are really good. The same words I was told to the guys, who was doing all of the welding job !

The latest photo of what have done under the bonnet that I have !

hey Ilya, wat sort of gains have u made from this conversion? any problems at all so far?

VR-4Fan

Crunching Gears
First Name
Ilya
Drive
Hi guys,

First startup !!! (y)

[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oaVWW41Symk&hl=ru_RU&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oaVWW41Symk&hl=ru_RU&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

The last pics of what I have at the end. End for now !

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
Hell Ilya, that sounds really loud! When do you think you'll be getting some video footage of it in action?

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
Wow looks good mate! Looks like a serious job!

Do you have a replacement ECU or are you tuning the stock one?

I love the totally disregard for the impact bar! Only in Russia perhaps :)

Top Bottom