what 3" catback systems are avaliable for legnums?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
the Japanese one is just another exhaust, nothing special. I wouldn't buy one for more than the price of a custom made system, in fact I wouldn't get one at all unless it came on the car.

VR4Rocket

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kevin
Drive
Was a Ralliart Colt, was a 1997 Toyota Aristo was a 1996 Legnum..Now an XR5 Turbo
the Japanese one is just another exhaust, nothing special. I wouldn't buy one for more than the price of a custom made system, in fact I wouldn't get one at all unless it came on the car.

And why is that?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
as I said, it isn't anything special. It is just some metal bent into a shape to fit under the car by someone in Japan. It isn't any better than anything custom made in Aus/NZ but you can get the tip you want if you get a custom system. I don't like how the Jap ones look

VR4Rocket

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kevin
Drive
Was a Ralliart Colt, was a 1997 Toyota Aristo was a 1996 Legnum..Now an XR5 Turbo
Ahh sorry I miss read I though you ment you would not get an upgraded exhaust..

First Name
ivan
Drive
Prado...
Hi,

Anyone in Melbourne interested to upgrade his rear muffler for a better flow and sound at cost prices to test them for the benefit of other members?

I have two choices, one is a 2.9inches rear full carbon fibre muffler with titanium tip, like a N1 muffler but weighs just 2kg.

Other is a heavier and larger muffler, but sounds as a 3 inch straight thru muffler but with out unique internal design that OUTFLOWS a 3" straight pipe!
Flow bench testing results of this muffler 876cfm vs a 3" straight pipe 837cfm!
[URL=http://img517.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc04095cs4.jpg][/URL]

Both mufflers will easily add BLING to the rear with some simple performance gains and sound too! (Both comes with tail pipe restrictors too)

PM me if you are interested to explore....cheers, ivan

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Ivan, dunno if you can help / suggest anything, but when I upgrade my exhaust I want to go for something that's non restrictive that I can make quiet (restrict) if I need to. I believe there are some options available out there, some that work with levers and one brand uses an electronic system. Can't think of the names of any of them atm though sorry.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
If you really want a quiet system Trev, I'd go with a twin exit setup like mine and use two mufflers that are capable of muffling the sound really well.

First Name
ivan
Drive
Prado...
The EXHAUST VALVE can be manual or electronic. However, they do needs servicing as they can get stuck due to carbon built up or dirt on the spring mechanism. There is the x-force muffler that can be controlled in-car as one option.

Using a twin exit plan is very good and with a good set of mufflers, you can certainly drop the sound level and still sound good.

Having said that, I have nothing in stock to help you.

Hope this helps, ivan

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
If you really want a quiet system Trev, I'd go with a twin exit setup like mine and use two mufflers that are capable of muffling the sound really well.
Yea I've been thinking about a dual exhaust since before I even bought my car, hence getting that extra set of bumper end pieces from Japan ;)

eddyvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Eddy
Drive
2001 Legnum Type S, 2007 Kawasaki ZX14
will a lukey 3 inch ultraflow straight through muffler fit in where the legnum OEM unit sits? anyone know how much these cost?

ill be getting get a custom catback system made, & i want to specify a decent but quiet muffler. (not interested in a cannon)

any other suggestions?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
does anyone know if anyone in the world has replaced their stock exhaust with 3" exhaust pipe & hi flow cat but with no muffler or resonators..

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
I am going with a custom made 3"...... Hi-Flow Cat (Pacemaker), high flow muffler (Pacemaker), 3" cat back in mild steel and choice of stainless tip for around the $600- mark installed

Does this sound OK for the money?

G

Unregistered
I was quoted $1370 for a full 3" system with dump pipes, high flow cat, (metal internals)a big high flow muffler redback was the muffler brand. Anyone know anthing about redback mufflers? I had a look at it and it was straight through only with 2 small corners.
And then an extra $100 if I want the waste gate on the dump pipe to come off seperate then merge into the dump pipe.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
I was quoted $1370 for a full 3" system with dump pipes, high flow cat, (metal internals)a big high flow muffler redback was the muffler brand. Anyone know anthing about redback mufflers? I had a look at it and it was straight through only with 2 small corners.
And then an extra $100 if I want the waste gate on the dump pipe to come off seperate then merge into the dump pipe.

Emmanual,

That redback gear sounds just like the pacemaker stuff i will be using.... metal internals with "almost" straight through muffler

Here is there site for anyone interested.... (Its down ATM lol....)

$1400 was the estimation i first received for Turbo-back 3". This was from the same place that said it would cost me $800 for 3" cat-back (high flow) so it could be a bit high. Shop around, so far its saved me a fortune!!

G

Unregistered
I got the Fujitsubo Legalis sounds great!

Only problem was today when i had my car to change tires and then do a 4 Wheel Alignment after the new tires where on

The guys at my local tire shop couldnt use their laser to mesure up the car because the fujitsubo system was blocking it.

I must take of the last big pipe of the system to get them to set up my car.. ;)

djb160

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Dale
Drive
Legnum VR4 "Grimace"
Nissan Leaf
Does anyone know how to get a certain sound. I've heard it on a lot of skylines (25t, gtrs) and a daimante(sp?). It sounds just really tight, you can heard the individual explosions quite well, but I don't know how they got it like that. It wasn't all that loud though.

Any ideas?

G

Unregistered
when i got my legnum i already have a twin muffler setup

its got JASMA badge on it and there is a badge with "GD" on the side..

come with the car from japan, not sure what brand is it

quiet at idle, and high rev, but bit drony at 2-3K

but all good, i love it, rare! i guess

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
do you mean twin inline or twin side by side? Do you have a picture of it?

G

Unregistered
one on each side

both little cannon and with a resonator in the catback pipe

Top Bottom