The Automatic Transmission Thread

G

Unregistered
i didnt have any signs apart from the fact it was a little sluggish which i assuming was because it hadnt had a flush/fluid change since i bought it so when i came around to changing the fluid and pulled the sump plug out, thats when i noticed the metal debris.

basically:
3 of the clips/rings had snapped and most of the clutches were worn quite considerably and were quite brown/black from excessive heat.

i will write up on here tomorrow exactly what they did (receipts are in the car) as they actually did quite a bit of work in terms of replacing the parts and extra welding to ensure longivity.

the cost blow out in labour was a result of some of those pieces of metal getting caught/jammed/wedged in the torque converter/front diff area so they had to strip that and recondition it so i now have a completely re built transmission and torque converter :)

G

Unregistered
i wonder how hard it would be to hook up an oil temp gauge to the trans so that i can monitor just how hot the trans is getting? my trans cooler will get fitted as soon as it arrives in the post (after i have my routine check up/fluid flush in about 2 weeks).

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Quite easy, just get an inline adapter and put the temp sensor in the line to the cooler.

G

Unregistered
trans cooler arrived today, and will be getting installed in the near future (along with an oil temp gauge to keep an eye on things).

with the help of lee (hotwire) of course :ROFLMAO:

280mm x 180mm x 19mm with 8mm fittings

31102008280.jpg

G

Unregistered
I recently got a Transmission Cooler (Derale, about 1/2 or 3/4 the size of the stock intercooler) installed. With a transmission service including filter and 6ltr of oil and transfer case and AYC serviced for $330 at Meek.

Heavy Duty Tube & Fin Cooler Kits
AN-6 Male Ports
Rubber Hose With Swedged Hose Ends
Leak Proof Threaded Inlets
Complete Hardware Kit Included
13303-small.jpg

And so far so good everything runs smooth.

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
That's an insane price; that's what it cost me just to get the fluid flushed!!:banghead: Darwin sucks!

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
So what does a low reverse clutch pack look like?

This is my burnt out one!!

You can see from the pics that it actually has next to no wear on the "wet clutches" (thanks to Mitch, Australia's most experienced W5A51 destroyer and remover) which surprised me but needs to be replced regardless.

The broken coil you can see is the wave spring. Thats the dodgy part in all **A51 gearboxes and are prone to breaking.

The gearsets are all over the table as you can see and the interesting looking box at the back there is the valve body

Picture001.jpg

Picture002-1.jpg

Picture003-1.jpg

Picture004-1.jpg

Picture005.jpg

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Throttle Position Sensor

If your throttle position sensor is sending the worng information to your valve body it can cause the above to occur!!!

Get your ECU scanned at every service to make sure you have no TPS faults and if you do, change the TPS ASAP!!!

That is all :bigsmile:

G

Unregistered
there is a shizen load of wet clutches in the auto box, only one gear uses a band (don't ask me which one, i just remember seeing one band when i ripped my old box apart)
then there is 2 planetary gear sets, and a diff in there too.. explains why it weighs so bloody much.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
there is a shizen load of wet clutches in the auto box, only one gear uses a band (don't ask me which one, i just remember seeing one band when i ripped my old box apart)
then there is 2 planetary gear sets, and a diff in there too.. explains why it weighs so bloody much.

Dude you must look like a american wrestler after taking these things out so much..... DAMN they have some heavy parts lol

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Dawso - have they provided you with a breakdown cost of the parts to fix your box? I know you had a total price of $2300, but I'm interested to know what each part is. I have a spare auto sitting in my shed which was the stuffed one from my car, and I'm intrigued to know the cost to "rebuild" it, minus labour for removal/fitting of the box to the car.

G

Unregistered
the total cost in parts for mine was around the $990 mark...

dawso, they look exactly the same as mine except my clutches were completely black/dark brown from excessive heat! oh and i actually had 4 of those little rings/clips snap, not just 1!

bratwurst_boy

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
daniel
Drive
98 legnum type s, jzza70 supra
hey guys what are your thoughts on this.... i had my torque convertor seal replaced by an unnamed mechanic 2 weeks ago. last week i went for a drive about 150km and i noticed smoke coming out from under the car. when i got back home a stopped and had a look and there was tranny fluid pissing out everywhere. i've rang this mechanic who thinks that it couldn't be the seal and that my gearbox overheated and pushed oil past the seal. the car got to the mechanics this morning so i should find out what happend soon.

G

Unregistered
Steve, what parts were they though? Was that for replacing ALL clutches, wave springs etc?
the entire transmission was replaced/overhauled/rebuilt...whatever you wanna call it.

ALL clutches, ALL wave springs, ALL seals & gaskets etc etc. from memory it was around the $900-$1k (ill check my invoice when i get home) mark with all parts bought new from mitsubishi australia (local dealer) but then add about $150 or so for oils and workshop cosumables. labour is the biggest killer.

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
cool... so at least I know if its $990 in parts, ~ say 4 hours to replace them all, the rebuild of the trans, LESS the labour to remove/replace makes it ~$1500 for the trans itself.

G

Unregistered
yep, thats what i worked it out to be and was advised would cost by a couple of different places (mv automatics being one of them).

mv automatics charge around the $2500-$3k mark for a full rebuild and normally quote/charge on about 12hrs labour to remove and replace.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Sorry Lee, i was too slow lol.....

What Steve said :)

Top Bottom