Automatic transmission speed sensor

blackvr

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Mike
Drive
Vr4 Aspec
Guys, can anyone confirm where the vehicle speed sensor is in a 2000 spec auto Legnum ? There is a blanking plate down by the diff area where I would have expected to find the VSS as in a late model tiptronic Magna. There is a sensor that is some type of speed sensor living on top of the transmission . I wouldnt have expected this to be the VSS outputting to the vehicles speedo ( which isnt working BTW).

Nick Mann

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Nick Mann
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4
I guess your chassis number is EC5W 0400xxx? Before June 2000 I understand that all VR4's used the same speedo sender at the output end of the gearbox. I guess that is where your blanking plate is. I *think* that the final production change in June 2000 saw the autos loom change and it uses the shaft speed sensors to send the vehicle speed signal to the dash. Please don't take that as gospel - I haven't seen that myself, just heard about it second hand.

blackvr

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Mike
Drive
Vr4 Aspec
Thanks for the help... I've done a fair bit of research since and you are correct. Mine is the later 2000 build and it uses the input and output shaft speed to calculate the road speed in the auto ecu. I can see this road speed in the Snap On scan tool. So I know that side works

The real problem is, since the stereo guys have fitted their gear to the Legnum, I havent had a speedo working. Stereo guys haved shrugged the shoulder... So the auto ecu calculates the road speed and then outputs that speed signal to the engine ecu, dash AND the stereo factory plug. To fit the new stereo/sound system, they have pinned the wires and poked them into the factory female connector plug.

I definitely have no speed output pulse from the auto ecu. I had the speedo in the instrument cluster tested with a pulse generator and it works. Pulling the board out of the auto ecu case shows a possible damaged diode.... I think the stereo guys have some how inadvertantly shorted the speed pulse wire and zapped the speed output circuit in the ecu .

My next bet is to find a guru to repair the board or find another auto ecu. I need to find a MR 553458 late build auto ecu. Can anyone help... any auto to manual convertors have a spare ecu of this part number ( In Adelaide would be easier... but beggars cant be choosers !)

Mike

Nick Mann

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Nick Mann
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4
I guess there could be a speed pulse signal at the stereo for the MMCS with sat nav option? Your theory seems to make sense. Sorry I can't help further.

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Thread revival, but 'search is your best friend'. Can you just remove the blanking plate and install the speed sensor from another gearbox?

G

Unregistered
I have a vague memory that the drive gear will still be there, but remove the blanking plate and have a look inside for the below.

Let us know what you find.

diff.JPG

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Let us know what you find.

I removed the speed sensor from one box and the plug from another.

Yep, they both have the drive gear located in the exact same place.

So I dropped the sensor into the newer box.

I have no idea what the car will do with that signal if I match the TCU to the box, but if the speedo or ecu need it for something it will be hooked up.

Top Bottom