The Automatic Transmission Variant Database

ryanjames.powell

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Ryan
Drive
1999 Legnum 24 Viento GDI
Actually I've had a look on the original Mitsubishi metal plate and it doesn't say the build date.. so I'm also wondering where to find it on the car. But I know that if I look up the VIN number in ASA it will tell me the full date. If you want, PM me your VIN and I will tell you the exact date.

Don't have the VIN, but see above post for the Chassis number.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
010xxxx means it is a pfl with asc and tcl so my box won't be suitable...well I think anyway! My one is from a 2001 without asc or tcl

ryanjames.powell

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Ryan
Drive
010xxxx means it is a Series 1 with asc and tcl so my box won't be suitable...well I think anyway! My one is from a 2001 without asc or tcl

Oh OK, I was told by the mechanic, who asked a guy who knows all about Mitsi transmissions that as long as it was a W5A513E6B it would be sweet. But yes, the car does have ASC and TCL. (Well TCL anyway, how do you tell if it has ASC?)

G

Unregistered
Brad's will be a 3EZB and not suitable unfortunately. Perhaps if you had the matching ECU it might work, MR553459 is the TCL ECU for that tranny. Although it's all a bit of a gamble really.

And strangely that chassis number didn't show up in ASA, don't know why :(

ryanjames.powell

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Ryan
Drive
Brad's will be a 3EZB and not suitable unfortunately. Perhaps if you had the matching ECU it might work, MR553459 is the TCL ECU for that tranny. Although it's all a bit of a gamble really.

And strangely that chassis number didn't show up in ASA, don't know why :(

OK, thanks. Yeah, I heard that there can be incompatibilities with diff, etc and that the wiring loom can be different, so best to just get the same model.

In regards to the manufacturing date, all I can tell you is that it is a 1998 Prefacelift, which is a fairly narrow timeframe at least.

chrisssss

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
krsta
Drive
99' s2 manual legnum vr4
i know this might be a bit early but are we any closer to finding out which transmissions have the weak wave springs?

G

Unregistered
Another one for the list, thanks to Godzilla.

Vehicle build date: 04/1998
Variant (from transmission): n/a
Serial (from transmission): LR1092
External filter: [Y/N] NO
One Way Clutch (OWC): [Y/N] YES
Transmission ever failed? [Y/N] NO
If failed, why? n/a

G

Unregistered
Just a request for more contributions to this thread, so we can try to compile some meaningful data out of it all.

smitty

Sm'arter than the aver'age bear...!
First Name
Alex
Drive
98 FL Galant Type S Manual, FG XR6, VY Acclaim, MQ Triton GLS
Vehicle build date: 11/1998
Pre-facelift/Facelift: Facelift
Variant (from transmission): W5A513E6B
Serial (from transmission): JO5662 - Could be a C instead of an O, can't tell from here.
External filter: [Y/N] YES
One Way Clutch (OWC): [Y/N] YES
Transaxle (from original Mitsubishi firewall plate): W5A51
Transmission ever failed? [Y/N] No

G

Unregistered
Anyone else kindly like to add their info? If I can get a couple more I'll sit down and collate it all.

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Give me a couple of weeks and I should have some data for you off the box out in the shed that went bang.... Just away for a while with work then holidays at the moment

stormboy

Crunching Gears
First Name
Rata
Drive
01' Legnum, Jaguar S1
OWC
W5A513EZB
NV8658
45,250km with books
wave spring broken upon dissassembly - no known failure before dissassembly
Internal filter

G

Unregistered
I know a few people have had their transmissions overhauled now.. so calling for more input in this thread please!

chrisssss

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
krsta
Drive
99' s2 manual legnum vr4
hey all i was just wondering, i have a broken auto box would anyone like to take it and analise it and assess all its week points and basically just learn about it. if anyone is interested in it let me know send me a pm im not going to ask for any money but a pack of ciggies wont go astray =p

98 SPORT

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Ray
Drive
1996 VR4/Ralliart Colt/v12 XJS
GALANT 10/96 77000kms
W5A513E6A
EL6954
External Filter: YES
OWC: NO
Trans has not failed,did have DCC solenoid issue in valve body which i changed.

tails

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Taylor
Drive
'00 Galant
Sorry to bring this thread up from the dead. Did you get anymore progress on this? Is it true that there are boxes out there that came out the factory with the solid wave spring, or is that just a myth?

G

Unregistered
Yes it's true some had the solid wave spring.

Jet6a13

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Daniel
Drive
1998 Legnum VR4
I remember reading somewhere (on this site or otherwise) that the "E6B" transmission seems to be the least likely to have the dodgy wave spring, my car is now close to 90,000km and has no sign of metal at the last service!

niterida

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Ken
Drive
1997 Legnum
Would it be safe to say that with 170,000kms and no transmission issues, that my box already has a solid wave spring ??
Its a 97 PFL so it probably came out with the shitty one and I guess it would have broken by now ??

Top Bottom