Brembo Brake Caliper Upgrade

murat

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
jesse
Drive
magna mitsubishi
got these today these are freakin huge awesome I hope these fit, just need to order some pads and rotors I found these rotors on ebay called rapid RS should I stay away or stick to the known brands

Attachments

• 20151016_191730.jpg
    20151016_191730.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 20151016_191917.jpg
    20151016_191917.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 20151016_191730.jpg
    20151016_191730.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 20151016_191917.jpg
    20151016_191917.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 20

Blackbird

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2001 ADM Evo 6.5 Makinen Edition,
2001 Legnum VR-4 Type S Written off,
2000 Legnum VR-4 Type S Manual with 23,489km!!
Nice work!! personally.. in my experience aftermarket rotors squeal... there are ways to alleviate the problem by using a smear of a special grease on the edge of the pads and stuff... but I changed over to OEM mitsubishi Evo rotors and the problem ceased completely..and immediately.... no grease, no sealants on the back of the pads... nothing...standard shims too.... i'd tried even putting the project Mu anti squeal shims and they didn't help much at all...
loudest squeal you'll ever hear... cross between a train/truck and a demented canary at 140db lol

karl_2ltgc

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Karl
Drive
Galant
I had epic squeal when i put brembos on my Galant. To the point that it could be heard from inside a house 100m away!
I did a track day at phillip island, probably about 150ks track time over 4 sessions, no more squeal. Thats with aftermarket used rotors and new A1RM pads.

aiwasaki

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Azan
Drive
S2 Legnum VR4
The VR-4 fronts will work on brembos... i know i did the conversion myself.

Only the rear needs changing either to standard Evo ones (that had brembos) or a set of Evo 5-9 brembo braided lines.

Thanks Steve. OK so I get it now. If I want to go braided, a set of fronts made for a Galant/Legnum will connect to both our standard calipers and Brembos. But for the rears I would need to get the caliper end fitting, of a set of lines made for our cars, swapped for a banjo (or go with Evo rear lines).

So now I just need to confirm with HEL if their MIT 4056 set is made for our gen VR4. If so ask them to make a custom set with the rear fitting changed to banjo :)

Blackbird

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2001 ADM Evo 6.5 Makinen Edition,
2001 Legnum VR-4 Type S Written off,
2000 Legnum VR-4 Type S Manual with 23,489km!!
Or you can ask Hel for a set of Evo lines too

murat

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
jesse
Drive
magna mitsubishi
Had a go with the brembos today could.nt get clearance for the front as my wheels are18x7.5 emotion xt7 to make it work looks like it need 2cm spacers i heard of alloy spacers you bolt factory studs and use its on studs but that going to push the wheel offset out might leave it for now not sure which direction to go spewin i.ll get pics later

aiwasaki

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Azan
Drive
S2 Legnum VR4
Edit: OK I searched a little harder and saw the posts mentioning I will need new bolts for the front as the pitch is deferent. I just hope now I haven't stuffed the thread of the holes I tried to force a couple of bolts into. Only went in about half a turn so fingers crossed they are not going to cause issues...

Hi guys

I'm in the process of doing my Brembo brake conversion and I seem to recall in a post from some years ago someone mentioning something about needing new caliper bolts.

I was wondering if you have to get different bolts for the front calipers to be attached to the hubs. I repainted my calipers and stupidly didn't block off the holes for the bolts and am trying to work out if the original bolts won't screw in because of the paint in the thread or if I actually need slightly smaller bolts.

Hoping someone thats done the conversion can clarify what was needed.

If it's the case that the original bolts should fit, can anyone suggest how I remove the paint from the thread.

Thanks

murat

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
jesse
Drive
magna mitsubishi
Looks like you need a tap and die set to clear out your threads original brembo caliper bolts will work

I did front /rear brembo setup coulpe weeks ago stops like a go kart now very impressed

aiwasaki

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Azan
Drive
S2 Legnum VR4
Looks like you need a tap and die set to clear out your threads original brembo caliper bolts will work

I did front /rear brembo setup coulpe weeks ago stops like a go kart now very impressed

Cheers for the reply Jesse.

I was trying to use the bolts from my old standard calipers. Just eyeballing the thread it looks like 1 or 1.5 mm pitch. After reading some other posts I realise I need 1.75 pitch.

After about an hour calling all over Sydney I found a place out west which had some 10.9 high tensile bolts in the right specs

Mulvi

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Jack
Drive
1997 PFL Mitsubishi Galant VR4 Manual
Just want to confirm a few things regarding this upgrade. Been looking through this thread and some of the answers arent clear. What rotors need to be used is it just the standard evo size?
Does anyone know the exact fittings for the bake lines needed for them to work for a pfl.
I know I need the fl hubs but is there anything else that I will need to do this. cheers :)

aiwasaki

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Azan
Drive
S2 Legnum VR4
Just want to confirm a few things regarding this upgrade. Been looking through this thread and some of the answers arent clear. What rotors need to be used is it just the standard evo size?
Does anyone know the exact fittings for the bake lines needed for them to work for a pfl.
I know I need the fl hubs but is there anything else that I will need to do this. cheers :)

What I bought (although I haven't actually fitted the rears, since I haven't bought the rotors) was

• Evo 5-9 sized front rotors. I got slotted ones from DBA (T3), although you can use standard Evo
  • Custom made brake lines from HEL, based off a set made for a VR4 with the rear fitting swapped to banjo (standard fitting won't fit Brembo). Pretty sure earlier in the thread someone mentions Evo front lines aren't a direct swap and whilst rear Evo lines fit, the length causes rubbing.
  • High tensile bolts to attach the callipers to our hubs. Standard Evo ones fit. Our standard VR4 ones don't. If you don't get standard Evo bolts with your callipers you will need to get Front = M12 X 35mm (1.75 thread pitch) and Rear = M10 X 30mm (1.50 thread pitch). Hardness needs to be 10.9 or higher ie ones you would normally see at Supercheap aren't hard enough and for the sake of about $20, I would get the right spec ones. I got mine from a place in Western Sydney,but this site has Unbrako which in hindsight I would have prefered - https://www.bolt.com.au/unbrako-m-85.html
  • For pads I got Remsa, based on Googling reviews. A guy at my local brake mob reckons QFM are better (less dust), however I've read they are noisy, which would be my worst nightmare. BTW my Remsa don't make a peep :)
  • Other things to consider - I got all new seals which weren't cheap, however functioning brakes are kinda important, so I thought this was worth the investment from a safety perspective. I also got new brake fluid - ATE Super Blue

Hope that helps

Mulvi

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Jack
Drive
1997 PFL Mitsubishi Galant VR4 Manual
thanks heaps that clears up alot :) just another question, ive sussed HEL's website and saw you can make your own lines. If thats what you used to get the custom lines what specs did you order? like the length and fittings @aiwasaki

aiwasaki

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Azan
Drive
S2 Legnum VR4
You will want a set of the MIT-4056 and then just get them to change the rear fitting (calliper end) to banjo. This set is made specifically for our VR4s, so the lengths are perfect, it's just that the standard rear callipers take a male fitting (unlike Brembo, which require banjo), hence the need to change.

I spoke to/emailed Dean Morris at HEL - 07 3869 3016/helperformance@bigpond.com less than 1 month ago, so he should remember what was done.

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
Should really take a closer look at my Project U lines which supposedly suit but haven't fitted yet...

karl_2ltgc

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Karl
Drive
Galant
If you need bolts/washers, I suggest getting genuine from amayama. Its what I did with my setup, $60 or so is fairly small price for knowing your brakes are not going to fall off. Part numbers below for complete set:
DescriptionShip InPrice
AUDQtySub-Total
AUDWeight
kgsStatus
Warehouse: Australia
WASHER Mitsubishi MR407072 Ship in 12 days (approx)3.57414.280.04Shipped
BOLT Mitsubishi MR370729 Ship in 12 days (approx)3.26413.040.18Shipped
WASHER Mitsubishi MR407073 Ship in 12 days (approx)3.49413.960.02Shipped
BOLT Mitsubishi MR370730 Ship in 12 days (approx)3.62414.480.12Shipped

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
If you need bolts/washers, I suggest getting genuine from amayama. Its what I did with my setup, $60 or so is fairly small price for knowing your brakes are not going to fall off. Part numbers below for complete set:

What car is that for? Evo ones would still be too long wouldn't they?

RicKii``

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ricky
Drive
99 Legnum
in reply to the rear M10 x 30mm bolts for the rear, I found there was ALOT of washers needed to make this bolt fit. As the original bolt from the factory rear caliper was half the size, I couldnt see how 30mm was required when it looked like 18mm was only needed.
Pic below to show the difference
20151228_175157.jpg

But apart from that, very simple job to do and the car stops so much better! A definite must do mod!

What I bought (although I haven't actually fitted the rears, since I haven't bought the rotors) was

• High tensile bolts to attach the callipers to our hubs. Standard Evo ones fit. Our standard VR4 ones don't. If you don't get standard Evo bolts with your callipers you will need to get Front = M12 X 35mm (1.75 thread pitch) and Rear = M10 X 30mm (1.50 thread pitch). Hardness needs to be 10.9 or higher ie ones you would normally see at Supercheap aren't hard enough and for the sake of about $20, I would get the right spec ones. I got mine from a place in Western Sydney,but this site has Unbrako which in hindsight I would have prefered - https://www.bolt.com.au/unbrako-m-85.html

Top Bottom