Brembo Brake Caliper Upgrade

aiwasaki

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Azan
Drive
S2 Legnum VR4
in reply to the rear M10 x 30mm bolts for the rear, I found there was ALOT of washers needed to make this bolt fit. As the original bolt from the factory rear caliper was half the size, I couldnt see how 30mm was required when it looked like 18mm was only needed.
Pic below to show the difference

But apart from that, very simple job to do and the car stops so much better! A definite must do mod!

Hi RicKii

I'm doing my rears today and when prepping/test fitting, I also found the bolts too long.

I bought 30mm based on someone else's post, however I think 20-25mm would be the correct length (with 1 washer). I ended up using an angle grinder to cut down the bolt approximately 5mm.

Note: I wouldn't use the standard bolt length as a guide as the Brembo caliper attachment points are thicker and if you use a washer as I did 18mm is way too short.

Can't wait to finish this mod, its been quite a mission! Had issues with seized hard/rubber brake line joining nut...

NuffNuff

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Damian
Drive
GTI, GTI, FL Manual Legnum VR4
Beautiful!

Went the same colour.unfortunately my stickers aren't here lol

DSC_1822.JPG

NuffNuff

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Damian
Drive
how.. how will anyone know i have brembos?!??!

lol, my mate has some black ones at his place i'll pickup on thursday. i had white ones at home because i was going to just do them red again with white stickers. but i'll chuck some black ones on. i was going to get red on gold but i cbf waiting for more to show up

Mulvi

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Jack
Drive
1997 PFL Mitsubishi Galant VR4 Manual
Wish I could get mine in, just waiting on the bolts hahaha, hopefully they come before I go back to work
20160106_111240-min.jpg

NuffNuff

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Damian
Drive
Wish I could get mine in, just waiting on the bolts hahaha, hopefully they come before I go back to work

did you end up doing yours?

mine are squeeling like crazy, particularly in reverse. must be driving my neighbours mad lol

had them on a while now but still only done 200km so probably not close to being bedded in

murat

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
jesse
Drive
magna mitsubishi

mine are squeeling like crazy, particularly in reverse. must be driving my neighbours mad lol

had them on a while now but still only done 200km so probably not close to being bedded in
I got the same problem when i reverse /going forward out of my drive way its got enormous amount of squeel i think bendix sell anti squeel spacers that consist of rubber/metal/rubber that fits behind the pads

NuffNuff

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Damian
Drive
I don't have pad shims on atm but I can see in reverse the rear brakes are most noticeable living chatter marks on the discs
I'll shim them and see if they need a thicker plate behind or paste to hold them into position better.

It's insane how loud they are once they have heat in them

murat

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
jesse
Drive
magna mitsubishi
I don't have pad shims on atm but I can see in reverse the rear brakes are most noticeable living chatter marks on the discs
I'll shim them and see if they need a thicker plate behind or paste to hold them into position better.

It's insane how loud they are once they have heat in them
I only put my brembo upgrade couple months ago i had it squeeling for a month i only had the stainless steel spacers could nt find the problem when i put copper grease behind the pads thats when i fixed the problem
Woundering if evo,s guys have the same problem

lh1034

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Luke
Drive
'99 FL Legnum
レグナム
My squeaking is terrible especially when warm lol
Need to find a fix ASAP!

NuffNuff

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Damian
Drive
My squeaking is terrible especially when warm lol
Need to find a fix ASAP!

i tried that bendix grease on the fronts and put the shims on. didnt do anything., but not intirely sure its my fronts squealing. but holy shit its loud

i'll do the rears in an hour or so

rear discs look like this after driving, you can see lines in them. i did some big braking multiple times before parking it so im surprised it has these weird marks on it, im guessing now its the rears making the noise as the pad vibrates around
DSC_1941.JPG
DSC_1942.JPG

front looks like this

DSC_1943.JPG

edit: i think i'll take out all the pads and chamfer the edge a mm or so

murat

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
jesse
Drive
magna mitsubishi
The first time i put the brembo,s in i had spacers on each brake but only put copper grease on one side i forgot to put grease on both sides of the spacers otherwise problem solved.
It was vibrating on the shims grease cushions it

NuffNuff

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Damian
Drive
yeah i just greased one side of the shim, i'll take them off and do it again later tonight if i have time. i put a chamfer on the edge of the rear brakes and i cant hear them anymore so that seems to have made the most difference. i'll do that to the front and grease under the shim

Mulvi

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Jack
Drive
1997 PFL Mitsubishi Galant VR4 Manual

yeah mine are all in and are awesome, have had them on for 300kms or so. I believe I have stock brembo rotors with bendix ultimate pads and they haven't squealed at all but they were used not new, will be getting new rotors ect probably ebc stuff in the near future

NuffNuff

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Damian
Drive
I didn't get a chance to grease mine properly but it's at techsport for something else now anyway and they said they'd look after it. I'll report back with what they do and if it resolves the squealing

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
Premium Member
First Name
Ed
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Manual, Ford Territory family runabout, BMW K1300R.
Just thought I'd like to add to the information regarding brake squeal. I have a set of Brembos now fitted to my FL Legnum, along with SCR Pro rotors from Project Mu. The setup was previously used by another member and had no squeal. It also had no squeal on my car for weeks, and then one day I tightened up my wheel nuts in a hurry which caused MASSIVE squeal. In particular I had load on the wheels before I fully tightened them, and even a five minute drive showed huge amounts of squeal.

I came home, raised the car, removed the wheels and reinstalled them followed by tightening up the wheel nuts in stages from 50Nm first then to 110Nm. I used a wooden chock on the floor to stop the wheels rotating while tightening the nuts.

In my case, this stopped the squeal again.

lh1034

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Luke
Drive
'99 FL Legnum
レグナム
I didn't get a chance to grease mine properly but it's at techsport for something else now anyway and they said they'd look after it. I'll report back with what they do and if it resolves the squealing
Did the squealing stop? Lol

lh1034

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Luke
Drive
'99 FL Legnum
レグナム
Just thought I'd like to add to the information regarding brake squeal. I have a set of Brembos now fitted to my FL Legnum, along with SCR Pro rotors from Project Mu. The setup was previously used by another member and had no squeal. It also had no squeal on my car for weeks, and then one day I tightened up my wheel nuts in a hurry which caused MASSIVE squeal. In particular I had load on the wheels before I fully tightened them, and even a five minute drive showed huge amounts of squeal.

I came home, raised the car, removed the wheels and reinstalled them followed by tightening up the wheel nuts in stages from 50Nm first then to 110Nm. I used a wooden chock on the floor to stop the wheels rotating while tightening the nuts.

In my case, this stopped the squeal again.
This is very interesting. Might be worth me trying!

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
Premium Member
First Name
Ed
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Manual, Ford Territory family runabout, BMW K1300R.
So, I fitted some Project Mu HC800 pads to my car. GREAT braking but OH GOD THE SQUEAL. It squeals light braking, it squeals heavy braking. My trick of tightening the wheel nuts carefullyu also isn't working. Arrgh!

I even used the bloody expensive Project Mu backing plates. Still squeals. People can hear me coming from half a kilometre away. Yikes.

Top Bottom