Grubby Nissan
Yeah no joke! 11.93 down the strip on 91 octane :/

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
why use 4 cylinder when you can use a v6 with twin turbos?

If I had an outlander, that's what I'd do.. 6A13TT manual transmission AWD using VR4 hardware..

but none the less.. its still awesome..

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
Yeah somewhere in the thread they mention the idea of dropping the 6a13 in with its auto box as well, I guess he wasn't keen on manual at all :/. I would definitely have one!

CLuTZ

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andre
Drive
C73A Lancer GSR, G6E Turbo MK2
Yeah no joke! 11.93 down the strip on 91 octane :/

That is 91 octane MON, not RON like you get in NZ and Aus. 91 MON = 98 RON

Yeah somewhere in the thread they mention the idea of dropping the 6a13 in with its auto box as well, I guess he wasn't keen on manual at all :/. I would definitely have one!

Airtreks don't come out in Manual :cry:

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
Airtreks don't come out in Manual :cry:

Yeah, pretty sad haha. But what I meant was that he was talking about doing a huge overhaul and plopping a 6a13 + w5a51 straight out of a VR4 into the Airtrek - I assume that if he can do this he can also modify to fit a 6a13 + manual box? Probably a whole bunch more work though.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
why use 4 cylinder when you can use a v6 with twin turbos?

If I had a quintillion billion dollars that's what I'd do to a VR4. Bin the 6A13 & fit a mental 4G63. I guess the answer to your question is "because you want easy power".

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
That shape Airtrek did come out in manual 4G63T guise in europe.

Tim, surely though if you had heaps of money you would go for a pair of garrett's and forged internals and enjoy an extra 0.5 litres and smoothness from the V6

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
That shape Airtrek did come out in manual 4G63T guise in europe.

Tim, surely though if you had heaps of money you would go for a pair of garrett's and forged internals and enjoy an extra 0.5 litres and smoothness from the V6

This! If you had fairly limitless money the V6 would still probably make similar power but in a more street friendly driveable way

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Nope, I'm too fond of the idea of being unaustralian and swapping out a 6 for a 4. And when you consider the weight saving, the ease of power production, the huge supply of aftermarket bits etc, it makes a lot more sense to go with a 4G if you have the budget to do the conversion.

I think it makes almost as much sense as an RB20->SR20 conversion.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
There isn't much weight saving at all. The UK and NZ new 8G's were sold with the 4g63 and 6a13, there is 20kg weight difference.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Certainly not as much as I'd have expected, but still nothing to be sneezed at. If you combined that with lightweight wheels, lightweight seats and carbon and fibreglass body parts you'd be edging up towards a 50kg weight saving, which if you were building a part-time track car would be quite significant.

The difference would probably be marginally more when you added aftermarket turbos & intercooler/intake piping too I guess.

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
Wow 20 kg? I certainly would have expected more than that as well. You can get those sorts of weight losses by wearing lighter shoes and a thinner jacket

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
My VR-4 is actually very very light. With me in it and about 50L of fuel it was 1600kg exactly. I'm 80kg and the petrol would have weighed about 36kg. If I had my Weds on I would have saved another 6kg and I think another 5 kg or so should be saved from removing the MMCS stuff when I eventualll get there. I have a sunroof too, so it shouldn't be particularly light.

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
Yeah I yanked out all the Jap computer gear and wiring when I did the stereo install - looked like they had a TV receiver in the boot for some reason and a 2-way radio in the front. Ended up losing over 10kg of crap through that... Which became pointless after all the stereo bits went in. Sigh.

Top Bottom