Insurance question

Milamber

Crunching Gears
First Name
Zach
Drive
POS
OK when it comes to looking for information on the net, unlike most people my age, I might as well be retarded....

Can you insure a car with a turbo skyline/silvia/leggy/galant if you are on your opens and 21yo?

I was talking with a mate today and she said that you have to be 25 or older to insure these cars....

Was she just blowing smoke out her ass?

Sorry if this has been answered before.

ConnerS

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nick
Drive
02 Legnum type S
98 Lancer Evo 5 GSR
I had mine insured at 21 with no problem at all with just car. Shannons wanted 1 year experience in the car before they would consider me.

Milamber

Crunching Gears
First Name
Zach
Drive
POS
I had mine insured at 21 with no problem at all with just car. Shannons wanted 1 year experience in the car before they would consider me.

Do you know if this is the same for Skylines/Silvia's/etc?

ConnerS

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nick
Drive
02 Legnum type S
98 Lancer Evo 5 GSR
I imagine it would be. You pretty much just pay a higher price than everyone else.

RACV did quote me for a GTR instead of a Legnum because the turds didn't believe the car existed and they thought that was the closet car to what i was describing :p

Milamber

Crunching Gears
First Name
Zach
Drive
POS
I imagine it would be. You pretty much just pay a higher price than everyone else.

RACV did quote me for a GTR instead of a Legnum because the turds didn't believe the car existed and they thought that was the closet car to what i was describing :p

QLD has different laws to VIC when it comes to cars with Turbos...

ConnerS

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nick
Drive
02 Legnum type S
98 Lancer Evo 5 GSR
We can only drive once we are fully licensed. I would assume its the same up there?

If your legally aloud to drive the car on that license then I don't see why you can't insure it.

Milamber

Crunching Gears
First Name
Zach
Drive
POS
We can only drive once we are fully licensed. I would assume its the same up there?

If your legally aloud to drive the car on that license then I don't see why you can't insure it.

This is what I mean... I know that my mate only just bought his silvia because he was told that he wouldnt be able to insure it until he was 25yo under QLD road laws... But I think thats BS

wendnarb

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ben
Drive
1998 VR4 legnum
I'd agree that your mate has had his leg pulled... Easiest way to find out for sure is just give them a call.. Won't take up much of your time!

Donkay

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Don
Drive
Mitsubishi RVR
You are on Opens - Turbo is okay

Just Cars is the best bet, doesn't matter what age you are

(So yes, Skyline, Sylvia's, Starlet, VTEC, whatever)

End thread

parepin

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
4G93 Mirage
#HairdresserCivic
They may have been referring to Shannon's - they quite often won't touch drivers under 25. Or maybe one of the less import-friendly big companies.

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
The question is not whether you're able to insure car X, Y or Z.

The question is whether the insurer will accept the insurance risk of an under 25 driver behind the wheel of those cars.

Assuming you have an insurable interest in the car (eg. you own it), and you don't breach the conditions of insurance (eg. you aren't licensed to drive that type of car), you can pretty much insure any type of car that the insurer accepts the risk on.

Milamber

Crunching Gears
First Name
Zach
Drive
POS
The question is not whether you're able to insure car X, Y or Z.

The question is whether the insurer will accept the insurance risk of an under 25 driver behind the wheel of those cars.

Assuming you have an insurable interest in the car (eg. you own it), and you don't breach the conditions of insurance (eg. you aren't licensed to drive that type of car), you can pretty much insure any type of car that the insurer accepts the risk on.

So its more about shopping round rather then not being allowed to insure it at all...

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
Correct.

Some insurer's will not accept the risk profile of a young driver + turbo charged car.

Other insurers will, and that will be reflected accordingly in the insurance premium!

G

Unregistered
wow! so I work for AAMI and JCI are our sister company and thus am the best person to answer this one.
AAMI - will not insure imports/highly modified vehicles
JCI - will insure imports/highly modified vehicles

That is the bottom line. Doesn't matter how old you are. Doesn't matter if you are illegally driving the car. The policy is based on the regular driver and their DOB and driving history. If you are found, at claim time, to have been driving the car illegally, the police will get involved and take it from there. As far as the claim is concerned, as long as you have provided all the correct information, you should be right. :)

-END THREAD-

G

Unregistered
I agree with Shamren. I used to work for Shannons (until may this year), and similar principle.

Milamber

Crunching Gears
First Name
Zach
Drive
POS
wow! so I work for AAMI and JCI are our sister company and thus am the best person to answer this one.
AAMI - will not insure imports/highly modified vehicles
JCI - will insure imports/highly modified vehicles

That is the bottom line. Doesn't matter how old you are. Doesn't matter if you are illegally driving the car. The policy is based on the regular driver and their DOB and driving history. If you are found, at claim time, to have been driving the car illegally, the police will get involved and take it from there. As far as the claim is concerned, as long as you have provided all the correct information, you should be right. :)

-END THREAD-

Humm i find it weird then that my mate couldnt insure his silvia with anyone until he was 25...

G

Unregistered
Humm i find it weird then that my mate couldnt insure his silvia with anyone until he was 25...
I'd say you're mate was lying when he said he tried 'everyone' cause JCI are specifically designed for young drivers with hotted up cars.
alternatively, he has a terrible driving/claims history and was denied insurance as he's too much of a risk.

and yeah Steve, Shannons is in our Group as well. :)

Milamber

Crunching Gears
First Name
Zach
Drive
POS
I'd say you're mate was lying when he said he tried 'everyone' cause JCI are specifically designed for young drivers with hotted up cars.
alternatively, he has a terrible driving/claims history and was denied insurance as he's too much of a risk.

and yeah Steve, Shannons is in our Group as well. :)

He isnt lying, on the bottom of his policy it says "please be advised that this policy is void if your under the age of 25"

Top Bottom