Replacing the clutch

Buckas

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
97 manual legnum
hey guys, looking for a bit of help from people who know whats going on.

I've bought a custom clutch, made up for an evo 7-9. Its been put in the car and everything bolted back up together to discover it doesnt fit because the evo clutches are too thick. however, this is what was said in the kudos motor sport section for evo clutches, "
The late model evo kits are a direct replacement for the EC5 Galant/Legnum set-ups, and yes when installing a new clutch you should have your flywheel refaced."

now the mechanics are saying that it doesnt fit and that i should get another one that suits a legnum. is there anything they can do to make the current one work like other evo clutches? he said taking the car apart and taking more off the flywheel (4 to 5mm) could make it fit, but then i fork out for labour and theres no guarantee that thatll make it work, or that theres enough material on the flywheel to take that amount off.

so can anyone confirm if skimming more off the flywheel is the answer to making evo clutches fit?

thanks

Buckas

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
97 manual legnum
also does anyone know if there is anyway to distinguish between an evo and legnum exedy clutch? the guys just chucked the new ones in and didnt look at it first so im wondering if theres any clear difference. i know that theyve bolted them up before cause they did mills_88's exedy SO for evos and it bolted up (makes some noises but drives).

this is just whats pissing me off cause hes saying its my fault for not really stressing to him its an evo clutch (swear i mustve mentioned it sometime), and that evo clutches simply dont fit and that i should buy a whole new clutch, when hes bolted exedy evo clutches up before anyway

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
1999 Legnum Type S
The SO bolted straight up to my car no problems. No noises at all.

The only reason I get a noise now is because I screwed the springs on the disc when I broke the hollow shaft with a big launch at the drags. I have a new disc, just not the time to fit it yet. Car still drives fine.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
Well thats at least a couple of guys with problems with their Evo clutches, sounds like a custom one is the way to go. I feel for you guys hope it all works out.

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
rebuilt stock ftw

evo disc combined with a rebiult vr4 cover plate and your tiptop

not only is is guaranteed to fit, its cheaper and does the same job

Buckas

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
97 manual legnum
so can anyone confirm, or let me know their thoughts, about whether or not the evo clutch will fit by taking more off the flywheel? Otherwise apparently im looking at an entirely new clutch

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
You need to get a spacer made up. Nick Mann in the UK sells them.

Some EVO 7-9 clutches, such as the stock ones fit ok if you use the clutch disc and the pressure plate.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
So whats the mechanic saying exactly? That when the clutch is assembled and installed in the car it doesn't fit or that the clutch disk is too thick and isn't disengaging properly?

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
You need to get a spacer made up. Nick Mann in the UK sells them.

Some EVO 7-9 clutches, such as the stock ones fit ok if you use the clutch disc and the pressure plate.

just clarifying that you are talking about installing an evo flywheel and evo clutch, you need spacers for the flywheel, NOT the clutch

to be honest buckas, there is no real fix that doesn't involve removing the gearbox again. depending how bad the squeal is, you could just drive it round till the clutch wears a groove into the gearbox housing and can freely spin.

thats upto you and how you feel about a groove ground into your gearbox lol

Buckas

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
97 manual legnum
yeh i know that the gearbox has gotta come out again, im just trying to get all the info i can before it happens so we can sort out a solution. clutch wont disengage no.

brad i dont have an evo flywheel, its stock. could this clutch be made to fit in anyway? or am i looking at getting a new clutch

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
get your clutch to disengage first before you remove the box. the selctor fork/pin/arm thingo might be jammed and that might be makin the sounds

rooks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andrew
Drive
2005 ST246 Caldina GT4
hello folks,

I'm after confirmation on the correct seals and fluids to prepare for a clutch replacement:

Clutch kit I'm going for is the following:
Clutch: Exedy MBK-7223HD kit (pressure plate,disc,thrust bearing)
Flywheel: Machined

seals in question:

Crank rear main seal MD133317 (edit MD359158)
Cam seal x4 MD168055 (edit MD372536)
Crank front seal MD372536 (edit MD168055)
Man Gearbox Input Shaft Oil Seal . . MB936826
Man Gearbox Input Shaft Bearing . . MD746715 or NTN 6306 (from a bearing supplier)

fluids:
GL5 Differential fluids 75w-90 (rear only?)
GL4 Gearbox fluid 75w-90 2.2litre
GL5 Transfer case 75W-90 0.62litres

hoping i have all the seals and fluids covered....

thanks in advance.

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
you needn't worry about cam seals for the clutch change...i didnt bother with any seal changes.

kymbo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kym
Drive
98 Galant, S14A 200SX, GC Galant
or the crank front main seal. i'd change the rear main though as if that goes its a gearbox out job again

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
fluids:
GL5 Differential fluids 75w-90 (rear only?) Yes.
GL4 Gearbox fluid 75w-90 2.7ltr
GL5 Transfer case 75W-90 0.62litres

hoping i have all the seals and fluids covered....

thanks in advance.

Just made a change to the gearbox fluid amount.

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
1999 Legnum Type S
Interesting development guys, thought you'd like to know.

It seems as though mine was rubbing after-all. The really strange thing is that it never made a noise when it was first installed. It only made the noise after I broke the hollow shaft and we rebuilt the box and re-installed it. Nothing was out of place, however. Our install was completely correct. So I'm scratching my head.

So sadly, I can now count myself out of the very small 'no-issues' group and because I had no issues previously I had already bought my replacement cover. The car is at the mechanic's now and I need it driveable asap. What a PITA!

Apologies if I lead anyone astray with my info before, everything I said was true of my experience though.

Buckas

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
97 manual legnum
youuu bastard :p

all good, hope it gets all fixed nice and quick

ralliart81

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Carlo
Drive
(Old Cars : Ralliart TJ Magna , Evolution 9 ) Current Car: Nissan 180sx (VCT Blacktop)
Guys please check this thread on any info about the correct replacement clutch !

I've added some info on the Evo Vs VR4 Cover Heights an Pics as well the difference between the recommended kits

Heavy Duty & Heavy Duty Cushion Button !

Hope it helps !

http://ozvr4.com/forums/showthread.php?9033-Clutch-Recommendations-and-Questions/page3

http://ozvr4.com/forums/showthread.php?9033-Clutch-Recommendations-and-Questions/page4

http://ozvr4.com/forums/showthread.php?9033-Clutch-Recommendations-and-Questions/page5

Kind Regards

Top Bottom